Not open for further replies.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I will start with 2 things right off the bat, first I want to state that I am not a doctor, have not played one on TV and have not slept in a Holiday Inn since I was about 12. Secondly, I apologize up front for what will probably be a long and rambling post.

Now some background. I began vaping just over 7 years ago in a last ditch attempt to quit an almost 30 year smoking habit. I was a pretty heavy smoker who had tried almost anything and everything to quit. It wasn't that I didn't like smoking, I actually loved smoking. I, however, hated the coughing/hacking, the effect on my family as well as the expense.

My wife and doctor told me that I was "self medicating", and truth be told they were 100% correct and I just didn't realize it at the time. More on that shortly.

After I began vaping and realized that I could quit cigarettes and actually enjoy life, my goal was to reduce my nicotine intake and eventually quit altogether. It was 36 mg/ml juice, with the occasional 42 mg/ml that actually allowed me to leave cigarettes behind. Each time I would get to the point that I could go to bed without clutching my ecig like a baby with a pacifier I would slowly drop my nic level until I got down to 6 mg/ml.

Using 6 I didn't get the TH or enjoy vaping as much which I figured would pass with time as I got accustomed to the lower level. One day soon afterward my wife asked me if I had changed something and I told her I had dropped my nic level again. She said I wasn't much fun to be around and might want to bump it up a little. So I did. I gradually increased up to and settled out at 15 where I stayed for several years until recently.

This is where the story actually begins. There are several health issues that run in my family, the 2 that I am addressing generally are depression/anxiety and essential tremors.

My self medicating, I discovered, was for the depression/anxiety, and I had unknowingly been doing that for years. I began at that point in earnest to research nicotines use in medical research for various conditions.

Essential tremors, aka Familial Shaking Syndrome, runs heavily in my family. My mom suffers the most from it as well as my 2 sisters with the youngest sister being more advanced than the other. Essential Tremors are loosely associated with Parkinson's disease although non life threatening.

Some general info:

Essential tremor - Symptoms and causes

Essential tremor - Wikipedia

My tremors have recently began to be more pronounced. Anyone here who has met me IRL has probably noticed it. It's not generally bad and for someone who is unfamiliar it would probably seem as if I were nervous. It has always affected my hands and I have recently noticed that it is occasionally occurring in my neck causing a slight tremor in my head.

My mom has seen numerous doctors and tried countless medications, most of which have side effects which make the tremors seem mild in comparison.

While researching nicotines medicinal uses I came across an article in which it was being tested as therapy for Parkinson's disease. (Link broken due to references to other things we don't discuss here)

http ://discovermagazine.com/2014/ march/13-nicotine-fix

From the article:

"If dozens of human and animal studies published over the past six years are borne out by large clinical trials, nicotine — freed at last of its noxious host, tobacco, and delivered instead by chewing gum or transdermal patch — may prove to be a weirdly, improbably effective drug for relieving or preventing a variety of neurological disorders, including Parkinson’s disease, mild cognitive impairment (MCI), Tourette’s and schizophrenia. It might even improve attention and focus enough to qualify as a cognitive enhancer. And, oh yeah, it’s long been associated with weight loss, with few known safety risks. (Although, in truth, few safety studies of the increasingly popular e-cigarettes have yet been published.)

Nicotine? Yes, nicotine."

10 Surprising Benefits of Nicotine

From this one:

"1) Nicotine and Parkinson’s Disease

Way back in 1966, Harold Khan, an epidemiologist at the National Institutes of Health, began looking at health-insurance data on 293,653 veterans who had served in the U.S military between 1917 and 1940.

Unsurprisingly, he found there was a higher mortality rate for smokers, who were prone to numerous illnesses such as lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease etc.

What was surprising, however, was that non-smokers were three times as likely to develop Parkinson’s disease than smokers.

Initially, Khan’s results were thought to be an anomaly due to smokers dying young from other smoking related illnesses before they reached the age at which Parkinson’s typically begins to develop.

But follow up studies, such as Kessler and Diamonds (1970)investigation of Baltimore residents with Parkinson’s disease, confirmed that Khan’s conclusion was true.

It soon became apparent to neuroscientists that it was the nicotine molecule that was responsible for the prevention of Parkinson’s disease. This molecule could regulate other receptor systems in the brain, primarily the dopamine neurotransmitter.

Dopamine plays a number of roles in the human brain – it regulates attention, reward-seeking behaviours such as gambling, drug addiction, and most importantly (in the case of Parkinson’s disease) movement.

Based on these emerging findings, Maryka Quik used nicotine to treat monkey’s with Parkinson’s and the results were remarkable.

After eight weeks, the monkeys had half as many tremors and tics. Additionally, the monkeys who were also being treated with the standard drug for Parkinson’s, L-dopa, had reduced dyskinesias (the side effect from the drug) by as much as 35%.

Since then, many studies have come to the conclusion that nicotine has the potential to protect against ongoing degeneration by slowing down or halting the neuronal damage that stems from Parkinson’s disease.

Further studies on the effect of nicotine in those with Parkinson’s disease should give us more understanding of how it actually works in the future."

TLDR:

Let me preface this by saying my testing is about as far from scientific as one can get. There are numerous factors which play into the ETs including caffeine intake, of which mine is off the charts, as well as sleep deprivation. I average probably 5 hrs sleep per night hence the high caffeine intake. Stress also plays a big role which with my job is unavoidable which leads to lack of sleep which leads to caffeine and so on.

So, I have recently began buying and/or mixing my juice at 24 mg/ml to see if there is any effect on my tremors. There has seemed to be a slight improvement. I can not say with any degree of certainty if the improvement is actually there, if it's all in my head or if it is indeed there but unrelated to the nicotine strength.

I wanted to start this thread to see if anyone else is dealing with the same issues and/or has any input.

DISCLAIMER: Like I stated, this is unscientific and I am not recommending that anyone try self medicating for any condition. This has only come after years of dealing with doctors by myself and my family with little to no benefit.

Anyone who got through this whole thing, my hats off to you!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
One day soon afterward my wife asked me if I had changed something and I told her I had dropped my nic level again. She said I wasn't much fun to be around
Why do I think you're paraphrasing? ;)

Reminds me of the time about 15 years ago, when I quit smoking cold-turkey for a bit. My wife (a never smoker!) told me: "If you wanna stay married, you need to start smoking again!"

Apologies for the digression.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Why do I think you're paraphrasing? ;)

Probably because I was :p

Reminds me of the time about 15 years ago, when I quit smoking cold-turkey for a bit. My wife (a never smoker!) told me: "If you wanna stay married, you need to start smoking again!"

Yup, I recall us discussing that and the situation was uncannily similar.

Apologies for the digression.

No apologies necessary, I digress frequently :blush:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I feel for you. Essential tremors don't run in my family, but I do have a med that causes them, and I agree, actually, that the meds to cure them usually made me feel like I was being run over with a truck for the most part, so I just deal, since I don't enjoy that sensation.

Nicotine hasn't really improved them, when I quit I was up to about 2-3 ppd, so if that wouldn't cure it, I don't think anything will. I do hope elevating your nicotine will help, and I am in full agreement that nicotine WILL help certain conditions, depending on how severe they are, and there are times nic can be quite helpful.

I also feel for you on the "people get nervous" thing. New people I deal with are always worried I'm about to have a seizure or something, that or that there is something terribly worse going on. I lowered that med when I quit smoking, hoping that with tobacco metabolism pathways, I might be able to go lower. That removed my tremors, but unfortunately it wasn't working well in other ways, so I had to go back up. After being without it for a month or two, I was most dismayed, but I have to deal.... LOL, all the assistive devices are making a return.

I really hope higher nic improves your essential tremor, and if it does, I'd count that as a WIN for vaping. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you....

Anna

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I feel for you. Essential tremors don't run in my family, but I do have a med that causes them, and I agree, actually, that the meds to cure them usually made me feel like I was being run over with a truck for the most part, so I just deal, since I don't enjoy that sensation.

Nicotine hasn't really improved them, when I quit I was up to about 2-3 ppd, so if that wouldn't cure it, I don't think anything will. I do hope elevating your nicotine will help, and I am in full agreement that nicotine WILL help certain conditions, depending on how severe they are, and there are times nic can be quite helpful.

I also feel for you on the "people get nervous" thing. New people I deal with are always worried I'm about to have a seizure or something, that or that there is something terribly worse going on. I lowered that med when I quit smoking, hoping that with tobacco metabolism pathways, I might be able to go lower. That removed my tremors, but unfortunately it wasn't working well in other ways, so I had to go back up. After being without it for a month or two, I was most dismayed, but I have to deal.... LOL, all the assistive devices are making a return.

I really hope higher nic improves your essential tremor, and if it does, I'd count that as a WIN for vaping. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you....

Anna

Thanks for the reply Anna, I was hoping you would see this, I had intended to tag you in the thread. Your input is appreciated!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, beta blockers work great, but I can hardly move, I get so tired. My blood pressure is usually insanely low anyway, unfortunately, so they do work, but the side effects are pretty untenable. Glad you are able to tolerate them-- I can't. I will say my essential tremor is slightly less bad than it used to be, I don't know if switching from tobacco to vaping made a difference or not. :)

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I hate beta blockers. Metoprolol was prescribed for BP and I was on it for around 6 months before I could get the doctor to change it. It made me sick at my stomach continually and slow the heart beat down to ridiculous levels. But it does also make you less nervous.

The worst part is taking beta blocker for a period of time then stopping it. You get panic attacks and rapid heart beat unless they wean you off it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will admit that on beta blockers I could trip over train tracks and lie there with no anxiety, LOL, watching the lights of an oncoming train and my heartrate would not rise *at all*. Thing is, I don't really get that anxious (anymore) unless the rest of my meds are totally out of wack, so that's not the most awesome side-effect (for me) though it might be for some...

Also, while I enjoy not being anxious, not being anxious because I'm focusing on my vegetative processes, like breathing and whatnot, isn't the greatest way to treat anxiety (for me).

It's pretty true that often people need to wean off high doses of beta blockers, some folks don't have quite the effect and can do the "weekends and holidays off" thing without problems.

It's so annoying that there isn't a good tx for essential tremors, man! I never treat side effects, usually, and this is one I'd happily take another drug for, but there are no good drugs for it. None, at least that my doc can offer up....

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yikes, that sounds dreadful! I hope you found a better option.... Sometimes I wonder if these docs have *any* idea how meds can affect people even slightly.... :( Although, my doc did say while handing over propanol, "Okay, here are your lead boots..." :lol: So maybe he knew... I did get lots of advice to start super low dose, but that didn't seem to help much.

Super glad not to have high blood pressure (I should, it runs in my family) but I don't. When I was younger, I actually drank a teaspoon of salt in water in the mornings to get it UP. I found I felt much less transparent that way, though I think the cumulative effects of aging, coffee, and nicotine are solving that one for me, I'm now on the lowest end of normal. Almost passing out when standing up is no fun, either.

I really felt the propanol would do nothing good, but I went for it anyway, because the Native tribe I was working at was not known for ADA accommodations (not a law that is applicable for them), though they did eventually let me install Dragon Naturally Speaking after much begging and pointing out that if I couldn't type fast enough, I couldn't bill my hours, LOL. :)

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes, afterwards he tried several other bp medications and eventually over around 6 months found a combo that made both of us happy. No noticeable side effects and lowers bp to same level as the beta blocker.

A calcium channel blocker (Diltiazem) and an angiotensin receptor blocker (Valsartan).

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread