NICOTINE DIFFERENCE'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hello all,
Im in the research part of becoming a DIY'er, Ive been reading and watching vids. You all make it look so easy, Im in awe. :thumb: I will only ask one question for now, LOL.

Im stuck on first base, the nicotine thing confuses me, I know you should use only the diluted kind (at least that is what Ive read). But what mg should I buy, the site Im looking at is showing 100mg 50mg 25mg bottles of nicotine? What is the difference between them? (oops- thats 2 questions) I like 18mg of nic in my juices.

Appreciate your wisdom.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
50mg and under is safest for beginners IMO, especially those with pets and kids because accidents can happen even when you are extra careful after-all. been diying since like 2011 or so and have never bought over 48mg myself and was definitely glad i made that choice...however, you can always by 100mg and dilute it all right away to avoid unforseen accidents though.

Reactions: sunnyskyez

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Im stuck on first base, the nicotine thing confuses me, I know you should use only the diluted kind (at least that is what Ive read). But what mg should I buy, the site Im looking at is showing 100mg 50mg 25mg bottles of nicotine? What is the difference between them? (oops- thats 2 questions) I like 18mg of nic in my juices.

I was in your shoes a while back. I decided on 100mg nic.
Why? Easier to store and easier to mix. I now do 10% nic, easy math 30ml juice 3ml nic.
While I wouldn't want to gargle it, 100mg nic isn't the deadly poison some would have you believe.
Take reasonable care, don't leave it out where anyone can get access to it, use a DIY calculator program. I have spilled the 100mg on me at the beginning, washed it off with soap and water, no problem.
What you end up with is of course your decision. For me, I like the 100mg nic and I have around 4 liters stored.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello all,
Im in the research part of becoming a DIY'er, Ive been reading and watching vids. You all make it look so easy, Im in awe. :thumb: I will only ask one question for now, LOL.

Appreciate your wisdom.

If your not going to buy Nicotine Base in 18mg/ml at the PG|VG that you vape, it doesn't really matter if you buy 100mg/ml or 50mg/ml or 25mg/ml.

Because they will all need to be Diluted down to 18mg/ml using either PG or VG or Both.

The Appeal for Many People in buying 100mg/ml Nicotine Base though is the Shipping is Less per mg. And 100mg/ml takes up Less Space in a Freezer for Long Term Storage.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
For you vaping at 18mg, your PG/VG ratios will be very tight with the 25mg nic base.

100mg has 100mg of nicotine per ml. So to make a 10ml bottle of 18mg juice you would need to use 1.8mls of nic base. With 50mg you would need 3.6mls. And with the 25mg you would need 7.2mls of nic base. As mentioned above the math is super simple with 100mg and takes less space to store.

I started with 36mg and moved up quickly after I got comfortable with DIY.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
For you vaping at 18mg, your PG/VG ratios will be very tight with the 25mg nic base.

100mg has 100mg of nicotine per ml. So to make a 10ml bottle of 18mg juice you would need to use 1.8mls of nic base. With 50mg you would need 3.6mls. And with the 25mg you would need 7.2mls of nic base. As mentioned above the math is super simple with 100mg and takes less space to store.

I started with 36mg and moved up quickly after I got comfortable with DIY.

Thanks, see that is what I was missing, I didn’t get that 100mg was 100mg of nicotine per ml. The smaller the mg’s the more you need to achieve you goal. You have broken it out for me and that is what I needed. I think since Im a noob at this I will start out small and like you work my way up. Im no math head and I mean no math. So you’ve given me what I can understand.

If I may ask one more question on this subject, what is the difference between the diluted pg & vg nicotine’s?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks, see that is what I was missing, I didn’t get that 100mg was 100mg of nicotine per ml. The smaller the mg’s the more you need to achieve you goal. You have broken it out for me and that is what I needed. I think since Im a noob at this I will start out small and like you work my way up. Im no math head and I mean no math. So you’ve given me what I can understand.

If I may ask one more question on this subject, what is the difference between the diluted pg & vg nicotine’s?
100% pure nicotine solution should only be handled by people with the experience and equipment to make it safe. That would not include most end users so it's diluted. It needs to be diluted in one of the ingredients you expect to be adding to your finished e liquid. That would be either PG or VG. I've bought 1 liter bottles of 100mg nic (10%) diluted in PG for $50 per liter. One of those bottles is enough for me for about 4 years. It might last some vapers 10 years. I buy from myfreedomsmokes and with the order include amber glass bottles for storage in the freezer. For long term I store in 1 liter glass bottles. When it's time to open one of those I'll transfer the liquid to 4 250 ml amber glass bottles and mix e liquid batches from those. I pour directly from one bottle to another and have not had a spill. Safety glasses are recommended to remind you to keep your hands away from your eyes.

My main concern with long term storage is breaking a bottle. Each one is labeled, put in a zip lock bag, wrapped in thin bubble wrap and that is put in another zip lock bag and taped to give it shape. May be if the bottle breaks the glass will peirce the first zip lock bag but not the second so there is a chance to salvage most of the liquid.

I mix a month supply at a time, about 200 ml. It takes me about 20 minutes. Cost of ingredients is about $2.40.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
100% pure nicotine solution should only be handled by people with the experience and equipment to make it safe. That would not include most end users so it's diluted. It needs to be diluted in one of the ingredients you expect to be adding to your finished e liquid. That would be either PG or VG. I've bought 1 liter bottles of 100mg nic (10%) diluted in PG for $50 per liter. One of those bottles is enough for me for about 4 years. It might last some vapers 10 years. I buy from myfreedomsmokes and with the order include amber glass bottles for storage in the freezer. For long term I store in 1 liter glass bottles. When it's time to open one of those I'll transfer the liquid to 4 250 ml amber glass bottles and mix e liquid batches from those. I pour directly from one bottle to another and have not had a spill. Safety glasses are recommended to remind you to keep your hands away from your eyes.

My main concern with long term storage is breaking a bottle. Each one is labeled, put in a zip lock bag, wrapped in thin bubble wrap and that is put in another zip lock bag and taped to give it shape. May be if the bottle breaks the glass will peirce the first zip lock bag but not the second so there is a chance to salvage most of the liquid.

I mix a month supply at a time, about 200 ml. It takes me about 20 minutes. Cost of ingredients is about $2.40.

Good Info here- in layman's terms Thanks. So if I bought Nic diluted with pg - does that mean I cant make a pg/vg mix?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Good Info here- in layman's terms Thanks. So if I bought Nic diluted with pg - does that mean I cant make a pg/vg mix?
Most mixes have both PG and VG so usually either base is not going to limit your mixing options. My usual recipe is 1% flavoring, 1% (10mg/ml) nic, 49% PG, and 49% VG. If the nic is diluted in PG and I add 20 ml to mix 200 ml of liquid I'll add 39% pure PG and 49% VG to balance things out. I use an android calculator called liquix to make sure the numbers are right. It saves the details of the nic I use. I tell it whether my nic is diluted with PG or VG and what percent and it takes care of the adjustment every time I mix with that ingredient. Once you've done a few mixes you'll realize it's not hard or complicated. My first mix was successful because I used a small amount of an all in one flavoring. I was hooked after that.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Most mixes have both PG and VG so usually either base is not going to limit your mixing options. My usual recipe is 1% flavoring, 1% (10mg/ml) nic, 49% PG, and 49% VG. If the nic is diluted in PG and I add 20 ml to mix 200 ml of liquid I'll add 39% pure PG and 49% VG to balance things out. I use an android calculator called liquix to make sure the numbers are right. It saves the details of the nic I use. I tell it whether my nic is diluted with PG or VG and what percent and it takes care of the adjustment every time I mix with that ingredient. Once you've done a few mixes you'll realize it's not hard or complicated. My first mix was successful because I used a small amount of an all in one flavoring. I was hooked after that.

OK so you are saying that it doesnt matter if you get either pg or vg nic base? Say I get a bottle of 25mg nic diluted with pg, would I still be adding extra pg to get to my goal of 50/50 pg/vg? Sorry to be so dense.:confused:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
For most people in most cases, the best overall base seem to be 100mg in PG. Nicotine isn't caustic and doesn't burn your skin or anything like that. Unless you are super sensitive, if you get it on you, just wash it off in a timely manner and nothing happens. If you mix it to strong, you will know pretty quick and the scratch and burn will stop you. I wear glasses in the lab so my eyes have some protection. Just don't make the mistake of rubbing your eye after handling nic. Dang that burns. Twice now. You think I would learn :rolleyes:

I have an intro to weight based mixing stickied up top of this page. It gives a little intro to mixing in general and may help you get a better understanding of the process.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
OK so you are saying that it doesnt matter if you get either pg or vg nic base? Say I get a bottle of 25mg nic diluted with pg, would I still be adding extra pg to get to my goal of 50/50 pg/vg? Sorry to be so dense.:confused:
25 mg/ml nic means you'll be pouring 4 times as much diluted nicotine compared to 100 mg so the minium possible amount of PG in a mix would be higher. With 100mg nic mixed down to 10 mg/ml I can go as low as 10% PG in the mix. With 25mg nic the lowest would be 25% PG in the mix. Other things being equal you'll empty the 25 mg bottle 4 times faster than the 100 mg bottle.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

No.

If you buy 36mg/ml Nicotine Base in either 100% PG or 100% VG, then to get to 18mg/ml 50|50, by just adding either PG and VG depending on what the Base is of the Nicotine Base.

If you buy Higher than 36mg/ml Nicotine base in either 100% PG or 100% VG, then to get to 18mg/ml 50|50 you would need to add Both PG and VG.

The First thing I would do is Download a e-Liquid Calculator. And then do some Scenarios and get a Feel for what is Going On.

Sometimes it is Easier to Visualize things when you can look at some Numbers shown what a Mix would look like for a Given Nicotine Base.

Maybe someone can post a Link of a Calculator they like? I'm kinda Out-of-the-Loop when it comes to Easy to Use e-Liquid Calculators.

Last edited:

township

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Ohio

No. And you wouldn't reach 18mg. The highest strength you could mix 50/50 would be 12.5mg unflavored.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No. And you wouldn't reach 18mg. The highest strength you could mix 50/50 would be 12.5mg unflavored.

You are Correct. The Lowest you could buy in either 100% PG or 100% VG would be 36mg/ml Nicotine Base.

Edited My Earlier Post.

You can get to 18mg/ml 50|50 if the Nicotine Base is 25mg/ml 50|50, but that wasn't what the OP asked.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
No.

If you buy 36mg/ml Nicotine Base in either 100% PG or 100% VG, then to get to 18mg/ml 50|50, by just adding either PG and VG depending on what the Base is of the Nicotine Base.

If you buy Higher than 36mg/ml Nicotine base in either 100% PG or 100% VG, then to get to 18mg/ml 50|50 you would need to add Both PG and VG.

The First thing I would do is Download a e-Liquid Calculator. And then do some Scenarios and get a Feel for what is Going On.

Sometimes it is Easier to Visualize things when you can look at some Numbers shown what a Mix would look like for a Given Nicotine Base.

Maybe someone can post a Link of a Calculator they like? I'm kinda Out-of-the-Loop when it comes to Easy to Use e-Liquid Calculators.

Ok Thanks zoi, I think its sinking in, 100% pg you would need only to add vg and visa versa. That makes sense since there is already pg in the base. So now I need to read everything again and let it soak in.

Now if someone could only make a book on DIY Dummies for Idiots, I would be in great shape. LOL :) Thanks to you all for all the help. I hope to make you all proud!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok Thanks zoi, I think its sinking in, 100% pg you would need only to add vg and visa versa. That makes sense since there is already pg in the base. So now I need to read everything again and let it soak in.

Now if someone could only make a book on DIY Dummies for Idiots, I would be in great shape. LOL :) Thanks to you all for all the help. I hope to make you all proud!

I think one thing that Kinda Stresses out people New to DIY is the thinking that they Have to do things Perfect on their 1st Order.

But they Don't Know what to Buy because there are so Many Different Combinations of mg/ml and PG and VG.

If I was You, I would just buy a Small Bottle (125ml or so) of 100mg/ml PG Based Nicotine Base. As well as a 250ml Bottle of PG and a 250ml Bottle of VG.

The Nicotine Base and the PG/VG should cost you about $25. And you can Test out things and get Familiar with Measuring and adding Flavorings.

When you get more Familiar with DIY, and have a Recipe or 2 that you like, then you can buy Larger Quantities if you like.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think one thing that Kinda Stresses out people New to DIY is the thinking that they Have to do things Perfect on their 1st Order.

But they Don't Know what to Buy because there are so Many Different Combinations of mg/ml and PG and VG.

If I was You, I would just buy a Small Bottle (125ml or so) of 100mg/ml PG Based Nicotine Base. As well as a 250ml Bottle of PG and a 250ml Bottle of VG.

The Nicotine Base and the PG/VG should cost you about $25. And you can Test out things and get Familiar with Measuring and adding Flavorings.

When you get more Familiar with DIY, and have a Recipe or 2 that you like, then you can buy Larger Quantities if you like.

Thanks again zoi, your advice will be taken. Cheers!

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread