Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Challenge accepted. Why in the hell is anyone inhaling anything other than air? WHY?!? if you just want nicotine chew the gum, wear a patch. Oh, that's right, its cool and a hobby. lol

with conviction btw

i like your conviction. but your legitimacy fails in the bolded above.

though, i "liked" your comment because it's about as legitimate as it's going to get when it comes to smoking cigarettes.

um... actually, it isn't highly addictive. or it is... IF you say that caffeine is highly addictive compared to alcohol.

Educate yourself before accepting the "popular opinion" given to us by those organizations that want to regulate vaping out of existence.

FAQ: Nicotine (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

The more you KNOW, the better prepared you can be.

a better statement is:
Nicotine and Caffeine are equally addictive.

I seem to notice that nowhere in the referenced article is the word 'addictive' used. The article seems to be more about the effects of nicotine as it relates to being a cancer causing agent, not an addictive one. I agree that nicotine is not the component in a cigarette that will kill you, however it is the addictive substance in the cigarette. I think this is why there is a general consensus that vaping is the safer of the two activities. While you still may have the dependency on nicotine, the carcinogens are absent.

heh - nope. I was not making a comparison between smoking and having an odd beer. That was someone else.

And I'm not saying you are on the dark side. I'm just saying that you need to educate yourself so you do not fall into their traps.

I honestly think that Smoking is an addiction. Nicotine is a Habit.
addictions are things that cause harm to other people because you cannot stop
Habits do not cause harm to other people.

I honestly think that you have that one backwards. An addicted smoker is addicted to nicotine. Once a smoker quits smoking, the addiction to nicotine may be overcome relatively quickly. The habit of smoking not so easily gotten over. Speaking as someone who came to vaping years after I quite smoking, I can honestly say that the draw to vaping was not to get a nicotine fix, but to fulfill the habit of 'smoking'. Is my body physically dependent (read addicted) to vaping? No. But I like to indulge in the habit. Do I need to? No. Do I choose to vape? Yes. The mark of an addiction is not based on the harm it causes to others, but the physical discomfort one feels, personally, if deprived of the substance to which they have become dependent.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have friends that have asked to try my stuff because I am so enthusiastic about vaping and they are so impressed that I was able to stop smoking. From everything I've read, I do not think that nicotine is that bad for you. In some cases I think it is even good so the only way I would try to deter someone is if they were talking about trying cigarettes. Smoking for me was used as a crutch so I am the first to admit that vaping is there for the same reason. It calms me. I enjoy my new hobby. I've gotten 5 of my friends to quit smoking so I will have to admit that is a good feeling too. It is fun to have vape buddies. heehee

Calam

Feb 25, 2013
California
RosaJ said:
6. There is not one single published clinical trial that reports that pure nicotine administered to never-smokers creates dependence. If anyone tells you there is, ask for a link: no one else in the medical world has seen it. In contrast there are at least 6 clinical trials of pure nicotine administered in high doses to never-smokers for several months where no dependence resulted at all. (These trials were for measuring the beneficial effects of nicotine on some medical conditions such as cognitive dysfunction and auto-immune diseases.)

This is very interesting. I have never heard this before. Can you please provide further information on this, or where to find it? I'd like to see the actual studies.

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
Just gonna throw this out there for a different perspective on things.

My wife, someone who never smoked, started vaping recently, 0 nic. She did so for the flavors.

She has a food addiction of sorts, as many people do, and has always had huge issues when it came to regulating her diet as a result. Sugary foods were her vice, and just like we as smokers used vaping as an alternative way to get nicotine, she uses it as an alternative way to get her sweet fix.

A month later and we have successfully accomplished the diet plan called the whole 30. Its a monster, I wouldnt wish it on anybody. She lost 22 pounds and has no desire to eat sweet foods. Whenever she feels that crave she can simply pick up her PV and sample a variety of tasty juices.

Its just another reason why I love ecigs so much. They helped me quit a 15 year habit, and helped her kick a life long habit.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
Personally, if a non smoker wants to vape, I would set up my Chi and a dripper and let em have at it. Who am I to tell people what to do or not? Is it a good idea? Probably not, but they make their own choices. It's not a good idea to drive too fast or not wear a seat belt. There are numerous dangerous things people do every day and vaping just isn't something I would concern myself with.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
An addicted smoker is addicted to nicotine. Once a smoker quits smoking, the addiction to nicotine may be overcome relatively quickly. The habit of smoking not so easily gotten over. Speaking as someone who came to vaping years after I quite smoking, I can honestly say that the draw to vaping was not to get a nicotine fix, but to fulfill the habit of 'smoking'. Is my body physically dependent (read addicted) to vaping? No. But I like to indulge in the habit. Do I need to? No. Do I choose to vape? Yes. The mark of an addiction is not based on the harm it causes to others, but the physical discomfort one feels, personally, if deprived of the substance to which they have become dependent.

DanJMag, do you vape nicotine?

Personally, if a non smoker wants to vape, I would set up my Chi and a dripper and let em have at it. Who am I to tell people what to do or not? Is it a good idea? Probably not, but they make their own choices. It's not a good idea to drive too fast or not wear a seat belt. There are numerous dangerous things people do every day and vaping just isn't something I would concern myself with.

Amen, brother. Personally, I would like to see vaping completely replace smoking. Instead of a youngster being pressured to smoke, let the trendy thing be to vape. Let's face it: as far as the youth 'fitting in' is concerned, it's all based on looks. What you wear, what you drive, what you smoke etc. At least with vaping the option is there to vape along with the rest, but stick to 0mg. I would think that most vapers agree that, regardless of the potential risks, vaping is the lesser of two evils, when compared to smoking. Some fear that if a non-smoker were to take up vaping it would lead to analogs. I say lets replace analogs entirely. I don't think it's that much of a stretch. These days it's all about the newest gadget. "You have the iPhone 4S? Well, I have the iPhone 5...etc." We need to emphasis to the impressionables that analogs are 'old technology'. "You mean you're still sucking on that old paper and plant stick? Get with the times!!!"

DanJMag, do you vape nicotine?

No, I vape 0mg. I was a smoker for many years. I gave it up, I went through the withdrawals (which was very difficult, as I'm sure many will attest to). But, even though my body no longer tells me I need to have a cigarette (or vape,as it were) I still very much enjoy the 'ritual'. I enjoy the inhalation, I enjoy the contemplation, I enjoy the activity. After having been quit for several year, the desire to smoke got a hold of me quite strongly. I turned to vaping instead (0mg). It has satisfied that compulsion for me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
No, I vape 0mg. I was a smoker for many years. I gave it up, I went through the withdrawals (which was very difficult, as I'm sure many will attest to). But, even though my body no longer tells me I need to have a cigarette (or vape,as it were) I still very much enjoy the 'ritual'. I enjoy the inhalation, I enjoy the contemplation, I enjoy the activity. After having been quit for several year, the desire to smoke got a hold of me quite strongly. I turned to vaping instead (0mg). It has satisfied that compulsion for me.

I smoked for 37 years. Switched to vaping using nic and then over a number of months weaned myself off it. I stayed nic free for about 6 months, then vaped nic for a month, then off for a month again. I think without vaping I would still be smoking, even knowing it was going to kill me.

I was addicted to cigarettes. Nicotine is not addictive for me without all the other chemicals in cigarette smoke. I can vape it or not, it's my choice. I was interested in your experience and would have enjoyed comparing notes if you did vape nic now after being nic free for a while.

Last edited:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
This is very interesting. I have never heard this before. Can you please provide further information on this, or where to find it? I'd like to see the actual studies.

You will have to ask Rolygate where he got this information.

EDIT: There have been several articles, one not too long ago, that stated that nicotine had been studied for a possible treatment for Parkinsons. Don't ask me to do the research for you, you can google it and am sure you'll find some. The list I posted was written by Rolygate who is one of the members who is very involved in the vaping community. If you find an article that states that nicotine is highly damaging to the body, then go ahead and give us those links. Keep in mind that the amount of nicotine we use is infinitessimal compared to what lab animals are given.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Assuming the topic of this thread is still good (i.e. people are still interested in other subjects in addition to the alleged addictiveness of nicotine), here are some solid #s which refute the two "gateway" arguments.

For reference, these arguments are:

a) Non-smokers (alledgedly) take up vaping, and then get addicted to nicotine.

b) Non-smokers (allegedly) take up vaping, and then move to analog cigarettes.

Here's the evidence:

1) U. OK study on 1300 college students - average age 19. Only 43 (3%) indicated that vaping was their first exposure to a nicotine product. Only one continued to use any nicotine product at all. http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/10/first-study-to-examine-e-cigarette.html (I can't seem to find the original study).

2) ASH (UK ANTZ org) concedes that the 1.3M English vapers, are "almost entirely" composed of tobacco smokers or former smokers: http://
ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_715.pdf (link was split up, in accordance with ECF's policy).

3) Smoking among minors in the US is down, despite an increase in the rate of experimentation with vaping: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/11/despite-drastic-increase-in-electronic.html

For my time and money, the effort required to convince most folks that nicotine isn't addictive, and/or is relatively harmless ... well, I personally view it as lost cause. Just because something's true, doesn't mean that one can convince a stubborn person to believe it (just ask Galileo about the Catholic Church's belief that the sun goes around the earth :)

What I think I could convince them of, is that: people who vape are virtually all (ex-)smokers ... at least in the US and the UK. And vaping leads away from smoking tobacco - not towards it.

The current numbers show this, regardless of public health officials' "fears," or "unknowns" or even "concerns" (you know, those scientific emotions :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
Challenge accepted. Why in the hell is anyone inhaling anything other than air? WHY?!? if you just want nicotine chew the gum, wear a patch. Oh, that's right, its cool and a hobby. lol

with conviction btw

Because none of anyone else's business for consenting adults. Plain and simple.

with conviction btw.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

This has been exactly my experience too (I quit in April 2000) though I moved from 0 to 6mg. My boyfriend is also a non-smoker and we're both really enjoying vaping. The only thing that's been impacted so far are our wallets.

Zombiecan

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
I just started vaping about a week and a half ago and I was never really a smoker. I would pick it for a few months then quit for 6 months and so on and so on. Even before I started vaping the last time I had a real Cigarette was like 8 months ago. I guess I wanted to try out vaping because I never liked the stink that was left behind from analogs and the smoke. And when I wasn't smoking and smelled someone who did smoke it made me nauseous. It seems that vaping is starting to be more and more of a trend now specially with the younger people who do it just because they see their friends doing it. It doesn't bother for someone who has never smoked an analog to vape just as a hobby but it does bother me when I see stupid little kids at the mall vaping everywhere thinking it's "cool" or when I see someone blow it in people's faces saying "oh it's ok it's not smoke, it's just vapor"

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I just started vaping about a week and a half ago and I was never really a smoker. I would pick it for a few months then quit for 6 months and so on and so on. Even before I started vaping the last time I had a real Cigarette was like 8 months ago. I guess I wanted to try out vaping because I never liked the stink that was left behind from analogs and the smoke. And when I wasn't smoking and smelled someone who did smoke it made me nauseous. It seems that vaping is starting to be more and more of a trend now specially with the younger people who do it just because they see their friends doing it. It doesn't bother for someone who has never smoked an analog to vape just as a hobby but it does bother me when I see stupid little kids at the mall vaping everywhere thinking it's "cool" or when I see someone blow it in people's faces saying "oh it's ok it's not smoke, it's just vapor"

I haven't run across anyone, children nor adults, that have behaved in the way you described. I've been vaping for 2 years now.

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
Funny, me either. No kid ever blew a cloud in my face and said it's just vapor. Pity the fool, though. lol

temp.jpg

Zombiecan

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
I haven't run across anyone, children nor adults, that have behaved in the way you described. I've been vaping for 2 years now.

Well I have even before I started to vape. I see it more at the mall where they tend to hang out on the weekends. And like I said it's starting to become more of a trend now. It actually almost made me not get into vaping but since I have a lot of personal problems at the moment and started to crave analogs again but hated the smell and smoke I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully it's just in my neck of the woods and the kiddies don't catch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread