Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Point taken, but nicotine is highly addictive compared to alcohol so the comparison you gave isnt entirely relevant

um... actually, it isn't highly addictive. or it is... IF you say that caffeine is highly addictive compared to alcohol.

Educate yourself before accepting the "popular opinion" given to us by those organizations that want to regulate vaping out of existence.

FAQ: Nicotine (tobaccoharmreduction.org)
The effects of nicotine itself are similar to that other popular drug, caffeine. See our (nicotine reading list.)There is no evidence that nicotine causes any substantial risk for cancer, and the research shows that the risk for cardiovascular disease is minimal. The confusion about nicotine comes from anti-smoking activists talking about nicotine and smoking as if they were the same. While it is true that people smoke mostly because of nicotine; nicotine users die mostly because of the smoke.
The more you KNOW, the better prepared you can be.

a better statement is:
Nicotine and Caffeine are equally addictive.

I'm 18 was a non smoker but started to vape was curious about it and I enjoy it (0mg Nic) still would never touch a analog they are just disgusting and plus I get irritated by them lol(allergies)

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Fair play to you. Sounds like you have a head on your shoulders

um... actually, it isn't highly addictive. or it is... IF you say that caffeine is highly addictive compared to alcohol.

Educate yourself before accepting the "popular opinion" given to us by those organizations that want to regulate vaping out of existence.

a better statement is:

We wernt talking about caffeine though?? You were makeing a comparison between smoking fags and having an odd beer or glass of wine. I stand by my statement that nicotine is highly addictive and im educated enough due to the fact that ive been putting it in my body for over ten years. Also you twisted that to make it sound like i was on side with those who want to ban vaping.. Come on man?? Why would i be here??

flavorfart

Jan 22, 2014
Parma,OH

a better statement is:

true they both work the same exact way except they bind to different receptors of the brain but nonetheless have the same effect that's why withdrawl symptoms for both are similar and just as hard to quite in extream cases for caffeine nicotine I believe has a shorter half life makes you need it more unlike caffiene both can also kill why isn't caffiene regulated? Hmmm...

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I agree with you there, i know ive certainly had cafeine withdrawels if i dont get my coffee. Its nothing to withdrawels when comming off the cigs cold turkey though. In my mind "cigerettes" are much much more adictive than coffee and to say nicotine doesnt play a major role there and that its the corporations that want us to think that is a conspiricy theory.

jp_cfc09

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
lost
honestly its the individuals choice at any age to do what they want, be it drinking, drugs, smokeing, vapeing. in a ideal world no one under age would do these things but it does and always will happen. I feel someone who wants to vape but hasnt smoked arnt any worse then I was when I decided to smoke instead of not smokeing. all you can really do is advise 0mg nic juice and hope they stay off nic really but if they smoked you cant really say that can you. so even though its not the best to start vapeing if you didnt smoke, its better then just starting to smoke cigarettes.

people like the feel of vapeing and getting a nicotine fix same way we all smoked to get our nicotine fix. as I said in a ideal world no one under age would do these things but also no one smoke either so to me it isnt fair to judge others choices as we never made the right ones either. i know i was told not to smoke, drink alcohol, do drugs but at the end of the day i never listened and many dont lol.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
We wernt talking about caffeine though?? You were makeing a comparison between smoking fags and having an odd beer or glass of wine. I stand by my statement that nicotine is highly addictive and im educated enough due to the fact that ive been putting it in my body for over ten years. Also you twisted that to make it sound like i was on side with those who want to ban vaping.. Come on man?? Why would i be here??

heh - nope. I was not making a comparison between smoking and having an odd beer. That was someone else.

And I'm not saying you are on the dark side. I'm just saying that you need to educate yourself so you do not fall into their traps.

I honestly think that Smoking is an addiction. Nicotine is a Habit.
addictions are things that cause harm to other people because you cannot stop
Habits do not cause harm to other people.

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
Are non smokers picking up cigarettes and thereby becoming smokers?... Yes it happens everyday...

If a person picks up an ego kit and vapes 0mg, be happy that its an ego with 0mg juice in it and not a pack of cigs

Vamo vivi/protank
Kts+ igo-w 0,7

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I think adults can make their own decisions. I would any adult I know if they wanted to try vaping. If they were a non-smoker I would definitely encourage 0 nicotine. Now would I attempt to encourage a non-smoker to take up vaping? No. Vaping can become a habit, if not an addiction, regardless of the nicotine content. I would never encourage anyone to pick up a "habit", even if "I" think it's harmless, but I would never interfere with an adults right to choose what they wish or wish not to do. On a side note....... I think, to a degree, that "fad" vapers are part of what is bringing on a lot of the attempt to regulate. I mean smokers and non-smokers alike. The ones that want to vape simply because they think it's "cool" or the "in" thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I think governments and tobacco companies would have eventually tried to step in once they realized they could capitalize from it, and that the tobacco companies were losing money to it, but I think the "fad" vapers definitely sped up the process. Just my opinion.

Boy, there's a lot of " " in there! Would have gotten hand cramps from doing air quotes if I had said that out loud (if I actually ever were to use ridiculous air quotes). Lol =P

Oh. . My appologies i got mixed up there. I hear ya and i know what you are getting at. But when u use words like "traps" and speak about "popular opinions" it sounds like you think (and i could be taking you up wrong) that theres some big weird conspiricy going on. Its pretty simple really. Governments are un aware and un educated about vapour and its effects, at the same time they see its becomming very popular and tobacco sales are probably dropping. So the loose it in one hand and they take it back with the other by taxing e juice and changing legislation to do so. Just two days ago major eu legislation was passed about this. Here in ireland twenty smokes are almost €10, thats what around 12 dollars? Thats alot of tax!
And you know what ive got no problem with it being regulated if it meant there was an industry standard, health and safety etc. I would gladly pay an extra euro or two for a bottle of juice if it was widely available and of a garanteed quality, but they will make a ....e of it and we will be getting the same stuff (excluding china juice probably) for crazy money and it will be chemists and prescribtions and they will kill it. Maybe it will be different in the US but thats how our government opperate

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I disagree with this ! i switched to decafe coffee no problem(8 big cups a day coffee drinker) 4 hours with out my nicotine and I am a going nuts!
i think nicotine is totally addictive

a better statement is:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I honestly think that Smoking is an addiction. Nicotine is a Habit.
addictions are things that cause harm to other people because you cannot stop
Habits do not cause harm to other people.

So one is an Addiction. And One is a Habit. OK. What is the Difference between the Two?

BTW - I noticed that you posted a Link which Infers that Nicotine in and of Itself Doesn't Cause Cancer. Cool.

But are there Any Other Health Risks to putting Nicotine into your body Besides causing Cancer?

Or is Causing Cancer the Only Benchmark that we should use in Evaluating the "Safety" of Ingesting Nicotine?

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I smoked for more than 40 years, 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. Started vaping 2 years come March 1st and have gone down from 18mg to 6mg and sometimes 0. I noticed early on that I did not crave vaping when I had to go to doctor appointments, etc., for long periods of time where before, I always got antsy after 30 minutes of sitting somewhere not being able to light up.

We're all different so making a "cookie cutter" rule doesn't work.

My opinion as to the topic is that if an adult wants to do something, they have the freedom to do it. All the well intentioned advice will not be heeded if they decide to do it, this has been going on since the world began. I can think of worse things people can start doing other than vaping.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Oh. . My appologies i got mixed up there. I hear ya and i know what you are getting at. But when u use words like "traps" and speak about "popular opinions" it sounds like you think (and i could be taking you up wrong) that theres some big weird conspiricy going on. Its pretty simple really. Governments are un aware and un educated about vapour and its effects, at the same time they see its becomming very popular and tobacco sales are probably dropping. So the loose it in one hand and they take it back with the other by taxing e juice and changing legislation to do so. Just two days ago major eu legislation was passed about this. Here in ireland twenty smokes are almost €10, thats what around 12 dollars? Thats alot of tax!
And you know what ive got no problem with it being regulated if it meant there was an industry standard, health and safety etc. I would gladly pay an extra euro or two for a bottle of juice if it was widely available and of a garanteed quality, but they will make a ....e of it and we will be getting the same stuff (excluding china juice probably) for crazy money and it will be chemists and prescribtions and they will kill it. Maybe it will be different in the US but thats how our government opperate
situational evidence suggests that governments DO know the difference. I don't see a conspiracy there though. :) They are either individually ignoring the evidence, individually using appearance as a reason to regulate, or jumping on the bandwagon when they see those tactics work elsewhere.
And yes, there is a loose conspiracy with the corporations encouraging over-regulation so they can regain their profits.

As far as regulation goes, there is already regulation in place for vaping. Devices are covered under consumer electronics, and the eliquid is covered under human consumable products.

So one is an Addiction. And One is a Habit. OK. What is the Difference between the Two?

BTW - I noticed that you posted a Link which Infers that Nicotine in and of Itself Doesn't Cause Cancer. Cool.

But are there Any Other Health Risks to putting Nicotine into your body Besides causing Cancer?

Or is Causing Cancer the Only Benchmark that we should use in Evaluating the "Safety" of Ingesting Nicotine?
the difference, as I see it is that one causes harm to others through some sort of neglect, and the other does not.
As for other possible health risks, you should read the paper. Within the first few paragraphs, it says that there is a possible danger to children in the womb. Just like other "adult" things, like wine, caffeine, etc.

I smoked for more than 40 years, 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. Started vaping 2 years come March 1st and have gone down from 18mg to 6mg and sometimes 0. I noticed early on that I did not crave vaping when I had to go to doctor appointments, etc., for long periods of time where before, I always got antsy after 30 minutes of sitting somewhere not being able to light up.

We're all different so making a "cookie cutter" rule doesn't work.

My opinion as to the topic is that if an adult wants to do something, they have the freedom to do it. All the well intentioned advice will not be heeded if they decide to do it, this has been going on since the world began. I can think of worse things people can start doing other than vaping.
I totally agree with your stance. An adult should be allowed to make their own choices.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

the difference, as I see it is that one causes harm to others through some sort of neglect, and the other does not.
As for other possible health risks, you should read the paper. Within the first few paragraphs, it says that there is a possible danger to children in the womb. Just like other "adult" things, like wine, caffeine, etc.

So do you Believe that Ingesting Nicotine at the Levels and Frequency that the Average do poses No Health Risks?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Point taken, but nicotine is highly addictive compared to alcohol so the comparison you gave isnt entirely relevant

"No withdrawal symptoms suggesting nicotine addiction have been reported either after 4–6 weeks of therapy in short-term studies, or after a period of up to 6 months in the only long-term study available [13]."

Nicotine treatment for ulcerative colitis

Unless you know something to be true don't parrot the ANTZ lies.

The addiction is in the cigarette smoke not the nicotine.
When I switched from cigarettes to pipes I was having constant nicotine OD because I used heavy duty tobacco, I was chain puffing. I'd still want a cigarette after having a bowl.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
It doesn't help "the cause" because the ANTZ will claim it's teaching people to smoke. But we all know the ANTZ will lie about everything anyway and they are nothing resembling sane.

We don't know what the effects of 50 years of chronic inhalation of flavors and PG/VG will be. But then again we do know the effects of inhalation of car exhaust are and nobody seems to be worried about that.

I don't believe anyone would switch from not smoking to vaping to smoking.
I don't believe (in my experience, and scientific studies) that nicotine outside of smoking is addictive.

ANTZ be damned, adults can make their own decision.
Unless there's a reason to use nicotine I would suggest a non-smoker turned vaper stick with 0mg. I would keep the intake of vapor at reasonable amounts or not do lung inhales, you don't taste with your lungs.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
So do you Believe that Ingesting Nicotine at the Levels and Frequency that the Average do poses No Health Risks?
So far, there is no evidence to suggest increased health risks to vaping.
Then again, all the studies I have heard about compare vaping to smoking. It would be interesting to get a few studies on the health risks of vaping alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread