Nuppin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

scratchtheweasel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Pocono PA
Not able to see much difference myself. I have both and they both work very well. There was some mention about the v2 (non-flange) causing some scratching on the top of the mod when adjusting the AFC. I guess it would be a lot of adjusting for that to happen. Mine are always wide open so there's no adjustment there, and hence no issue. The v1 would prevent this because the AFC only makes contact with the flange on the base. Works well. Makes vapor. Happy camper. Go figure. :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Not able to see much difference myself. I have both and they both work very well. There was some mention about the v2 (non-flange) causing some scratching on the top of the mod when adjusting the AFC. I guess it would be a lot of adjusting for that to happen. Mine are always wide open so there's no adjustment there, and hence no issue. The v1 would prevent this because the AFC only makes contact with the flange on the base. Works well. Makes vapor. Happy camper. Go figure. :)

I suppose that could happen. I hadn't really thought about it. I don't fool with the airflow much; but when I do adjust it, I do it with the cap off.

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
I can't really see adjusting the airflow enough to really scratch a mod. Once I have it dialed in, I rarely adjust it again.

And you can always remove it to adjust the airflow...

Bits scrambled by TapaTalk...

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Will be a great day today. :thumb:

I couldn't find another base only, but my 5.5 Nuppin's will turn into 6.5 of them today when the mail comes. Means I can finally run Nup's on all 6 of my LP Grands now instead of just 5 and loose that 22mm atty that's been on it.

Will be an all Reo-Nuppin'/Reo-Chalice party around here far more often than not from now on.

Think I might weed out all the Mini Woodvil's too since I'm preferring the Mini 2.1-Chalice combos over them (and the Mini OG/Hornet).

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'm liking the smaller attys more and more, as long as I can stuff dual coils in them. I still have 1 22mm atty, an Odin, on one of my Reos. The others have 1 RM4 and 2 Nuppins. I'm thinking of getting another RM4, or a Manta2. If there was another Nuppin run, I'd certainly get another 1 or 2.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Will be a great day today. :thumb:

I couldn't find another base only, but my 5.5 Nuppin's will turn into 6.5 of them today when the mail comes. Means I can finally run Nup's on all 6 of my LP Grands now instead of just 5 and loose that 22mm atty that's been on it.

Will be an all Reo-Nuppin'/Reo-Chalice party around here far more often than not from now on.

Think I might weed out all the Mini Woodvil's too since I'm preferring the Mini 2.1-Chalice combos over them (and the Mini OG/Hornet).
All I got are Chalice & Nuppins too :headbang:
I really thought I had given up on small attys, but turns out, as long as they have AFC, I'm in.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I'm all about small atties.
I've got a Divo; a PDA; 2 Reactors; an RM4/Atomic; an ERA Torch; a couple Cylones; and a Chalice III. I haven't stopped vaping the Nuppin V2 since it got here...

All I got are Chalice & Nuppins too :headbang:
I really thought I had given up on small attys, but turns out, as long as they have AFC, I'm in.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
50 shades of (blackish) Nuppin.
Actually, kinda like the contrasting setup better, but it vapes just fine!
50shades.JPG

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I posted this in peters thread but I guess many here can't possibly keep up with all the posts in that crazy thread so I figured I'd share this here and also I'd love to hear anyones take on this if they do try it

I've figured out a way to run a single coil in a nuppin and get just as good flavor as you would get with duals.

the reason why duals taste better is because of the chamber volume, it's not a tiny chamber like a chalice so a single coil winds up with too much dead air space in the chamber which dilutes/diminishes the flavor. one way is to use a chamber spacer, basically reducing the chamber volume, but this can be a pita in more ways than one. I found a better way to run a single without having the negative drawback of a large chamber and it vapes awesome even with a single like this

normally you would position the coil as close to the air inlet as practical, this is universally true of most any atty, but here with the nuppin what you can also do is, instead of positioning a single coil to one air inlet and keeping the other closed as you would normally think, what you can do instead is position the coil right at the drip tip inlet and leave both air inlets open. this completely negates the excess space in the chamber because the coil airflow will never see it, the airflow from the coil is directly into the driptip with no turbulence of stagnant pockets between the coil and the driptip. all of the extra volume in the chamber winds up being pre coil instead of post coil as it would be had you positioned the coil at the air inlet.

a little tricky and boring to try to explain all the physics involved but man you gotta try this... single coil tastes as sweet as it would in a chalice like this, you are pretty much removing the bulk of the chamber from the equation. I first stumbled onto this type of coil positioning with my chalice 2, it has a central coil mount and it is far from the air inlet which winds up adding a bit of throat hit and harshness even though the chamber is still pretty tiny, what I did was drill another air hole opposite the original, bringing air to both sides of the center coil which is right below the driptip and woh, totally different animal man. to date my best vape out of all my vapes has been this modded chalice 2 with dual air inlets to one central coil, but now, like this, the nuppin is right up there with that chalice

20150520_000906_zpsctvxdeve.jpg

20150520_001542_zpszg79yim9.jpg

and here's the view straight down the driptip :)

20150521_165418_zps6hlo1wpz.jpg

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That's a pretty cool build, I think I may try it!
I do run a Cyclone single with both airholes open - just because I preferred the draw that way - that's off-center, and I still like it.

So what is that - looks like 8 wraps, parallel with twisted leads - what wire and what resistance do you end up with?

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
...I first stumbled onto this type of coil positioning with my chalice 2, it has a central coil mount and it is far from the air inlet which winds up adding a bit of throat hit and harshness even though the chamber is still pretty tiny, what I did was drill another air hole opposite the original, bringing air to both sides of the center coil which is right below the driptip and woh, totally different animal man...

Great idea, thanks for the tip. I've been slipstreaming my Chalice II to get by with my long lung hits. Will add that second hole in mine if I ever get around to digging out my drill press/drill index's and a machinists vise (might even enlarge them some since most folks won't want it after altered anyway).

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
I posted this in peters thread but I guess many here can't possibly keep up with all the posts in that crazy thread so I figured I'd share this here and also I'd love to hear anyones take on this if they do try it

I've figured out a way to run a single coil in a nuppin and get just as good flavor as you would get with duals.

the reason why duals taste better is because of the chamber volume, it's not a tiny chamber like a chalice so a single coil winds up with too much dead air space in the chamber which dilutes/diminishes the flavor. one way is to use a chamber spacer, basically reducing the chamber volume, but this can be a pita in more ways than one. I found a better way to run a single without having the negative drawback of a large chamber and it vapes awesome even with a single like this

normally you would position the coil as close to the air inlet as practical, this is universally true of most any atty, but here with the nuppin what you can also do is, instead of positioning a single coil to one air inlet and keeping the other closed as you would normally think, what you can do instead is position the coil right at the drip tip inlet and leave both air inlets open. this completely negates the excess space in the chamber because the coil airflow will never see it, the airflow from the coil is directly into the driptip with no turbulence of stagnant pockets between the coil and the driptip. all of the extra volume in the chamber winds up being pre coil instead of post coil as it would be had you positioned the coil at the air inlet.

a little tricky and boring to try to explain all the physics involved but man you gotta try this... single coil tastes as sweet as it would in a chalice like this, you are pretty much removing the bulk of the chamber from the equation. I first stumbled onto this type of coil positioning with my chalice 2, it has a central coil mount and it is far from the air inlet which winds up adding a bit of throat hit and harshness even though the chamber is still pretty tiny, what I did was drill another air hole opposite the original, bringing air to both sides of the center coil which is right below the driptip and woh, totally different animal man. to date my best vape out of all my vapes has been this modded chalice 2 with dual air inlets to one central coil, but now, like this, the nuppin is right up there with that chalice

20150520_000906_zpsctvxdeve.jpg

20150520_001542_zpszg79yim9.jpg

and here's the view straight down the driptip :)

20150521_165418_zps6hlo1wpz.jpg
Thanks for sharing this @turbocad6. Tried it, and I love it. Also 27g Kanthal, 7 wraps with a 2.5mm ID at 0.59 ohms. Wicked with 3 mm Ceramic.

hqXKX27.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And another:

ju3Wx33.jpg

3x29 gauge twisted, 2.4mm ID, rayon wick. Comes in at ~0.65 ohms, replaces a set of duals that were around 0.70. Definitely tastier, but I'm not sure it's a fair comparison yet, since the build that came out was pretty beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread