Opinions on Smok R200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Can I warn against buying a smok mod solely on what I've read? This includes their own ad page for it; superfluous graphs that mean nothing, superfluous "makes this mod more safe" when other mods have same features, and only new feature I see is Ohm adjustment...if the mod can't read ohms right, it's just...bad...

Maybe 200 watts with a lightweight mod sounds nice, but will you use 200 watts? Will you even use 100? Even at 100 watts, a two-battery mod may last one day of heavy vaping, and anything above that, less, and harder on batteries

It reads the Ohms right I've but it on a separate Ohm Meter and it reads the same. Though I'mstarting to think the chipset in the Joytech and Wismec is much better. It's done temp control very well on any tank I've thrown on it. I have no reason to believe that the Smok R200 works great with the right tanks with the right coils but I've just gotten it and through the right fine tuning I may get it to work with the Herakles Plus

Last edited:

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
What tank are you using on your R200?
Dumb auto correct. Original comment should have said STM not street. Only tank I have currently, I may pick up a tfv4 mini or Griffin, or both. So far no issues for me with TC. I built dual 28ga Ni200 on a 3.5mm machine screw, 14 wrap came out to 0.11. Working pretty well for my first nickel build.

sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tim Jenson

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
The Herakles Plus Ni200 works great in temp control. I'm trying the ss 316L with the changed setting and changed the initial resistance down to 0.2 instead of what it's reading it at which is 0.24. The coil head has 0.2 printed on it as the resistance, so I crossing my fingers that I won't get any dry hits. The temp control is locking in a lot faster just like it has on the Cuboid, so it looks really promising I won't get any try hits. I have the TCR dialed in using the Ultimate TCR list for ss313 L

Last edited:

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Ok, so I was just being dumb and not realizing 5 clicks locks the fire button. So far I am giving this mod a thumbs up. It works very well, liking the TC on it. Seems pretty accurate and no dry hits as of yet

sent using Tapatalk

Happy to here that glad you're liking it. I'm enjoying it myself, it's not a contoured and doesn't fit in the hand as nice as the Cuboid, but it's way lighter, travels better easier in the pocket so they both have pluses. When I say it's lighter I mean way lighter. The Cuboid is heavy enough to pull down your pants if you don't have your belt nice and tight LOL. The R200 is a lot easier to carry around with you.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I went on the site and read up on this mod... looks good..........found this chart....now I understand... umm what did he say.........anybody got any pepperoni

and cheese.....

greatMod.JPG

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I went on the site and read up on this mod... looks good..........found this chart....now I understand umm what did he say.........anybody got any pepperoni

and cheese.....

View attachment 532890
I personally wouldn't worry about what he is saying, he probably has had a bad experience with Smok in the past, as far as I can tell it is delivering what it promises.

Reactions: thetrucker

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I personally wouldn't worry about what he is saying, he probably has had a bad experience with Smok in the past, as far as I can tell it is delivering what it promises.

I have had good luck with SMOK products----and think this mod is probably a good mod too.......

I was making a joke with the chart found on the site as it looks a little confusing at first......:)

Attachments

• lol[1].gif
    lol[1].gif
    735 bytes · Views: 32
Reactions: Tol

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I'm very pleased with myself I got Herakles Plus Stainless Steel 316L to work in temp control. I set it up dual coil SS entered the TCR value as 0.00088 set the resistance at 0.20 even though it was reading around 0.22 or 0.24. No dry hits very pleased and loving this mod.

Update

I've dialed in 0.21 as the resistance setting, it get's a little bit better vape and doesn't dry hit.

Last edited:

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I am getting used to not setting joules in temp control and kind of liking it. The mod does have somewhat rounded edges, but still very boxy feeling. It feels fine to me but they could probably do better in the ergonomic aspect. It feels much nicer to me than a Sig 150 or fuchai does. It Is surprisingly light compared to may other dual 18650 mods.

sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: thetrucker

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I am getting used to not setting joules in temp control and kind of liking it. The mod does have somewhat rounded edges, but still very boxy feeling. It feels fine to me but they could probably do better in the ergonomic aspect. It feels much nicer to me than a Sig 150 or fuchai does. It Is surprisingly light compared to may other dual 18650 mods.

sent using Tapatalk
I agree completely compared to the Cuboid, it feels like it's 1/4 the weight. Like you I like not have to dick around with the wattage to find the right vape. In fact, I use the Smok's instruction manual as a guide. It tells you what wattage the different modes the min, soft, normal, hard and extreme run in, and I find myself using those settings when changing the settings on my cuboid. The Cuboid is much better contoured, grips in the hand much better but it's far heavier. Right now I'm looking into the new Wismec Vape Forward Vapor Flasks mods. Not that I need another mod right now, just because I love having so many choices, and am neurotic

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I agree completely compared to the Cuboid, it feels like it's 1/4 the weight. Like you I like not have to dick around with the wattage to find the right vape. In fact, I use the Smok's instruction manual as a guide. It tells you what wattage the different modes the min, soft, normal, hard and extreme run in, and I find myself using those settings when changing the settings on my cuboid. The Cuboid is much better contoured, grips in the hand much better but it's far heavier. Right now I'm looking into the new Wismec Vape Forward Vapor Flasks mods. Not that I need another mod right now, just because I love having so many choices, and am neurotic

I keep hearing great things about the new VapeForward mods, especially the stout. I am pretty happy with my R200 purchase though, I do wish it should the voltage instead of showing 0 (in power mode) I assume it shows real-time voltage but since I can't see the screen when I vape, that is useless. Not a big deal really though, I typically only care about wattage anyhow. I am so used to paying attention to voltage on my D2 to make sure I don't need to change to TC to have step down with a fresh battery. I am very glad to not have to do that anymore.

The nickel build I did is going great. Great flavor, vapor production is good. I actually have it set to 370 F - HARD right now and it performs very well, smooth consistent hits until it starts getting too dry. Can't complain.
I don't have any Ti or SS to try out yet.

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015

I'm going to save you a lot of trouble. You have to take out the batteries to get it to recognize the device when you plug it in. Hold the - key connect to USB port on your computer. Click on connect button, it should change green showing it's connected then click on the APROM button, look for the hex file, it won't show up as an option unless you click on the file types button and change it to hex. Then hit start upgrade, and that should do it for you. Good LUCK! and have fun!

The only difference I noticed was the clock option was missing in the menu selection. Which is nice, any other changes I'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tol

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I'm going to save you a lot of trouble. You have to take out the batteries to get it to recognize the device when you plug it in. Hold the - key connect to USB port on your computer. Click on connect button, it should change green showing it's connected then click on the APROM button, look for the hex file, it won't show up as an option unless you click on the file types button and change it to hex. Then hit start upgrade, and that should do it for you. Good LUCK! and have fun!

The only difference I noticed was the clock option was missing in the menu selection. Which is nice, any other changes I'll have to wait and see.

I didn't even realize they had a new FW version.
Thank you for that, I wasn't holding the key down when i plugged it into the usb port.
Yeah, only thing I notice so far is the clock being gone and replaced with a "Click 5 times to unlock" message.

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I didn't even realize they had a new FW version.
Thank you for that, I wasn't holding the key down when i plugged it into the usb port.
Yeah, only thing I notice so far is the clock being gone and replaced with a "Click 5 times to unlock" message.

If you do get some ti and ss, let me know how it goes. From my understanding, those wires are harder to get a read on, especially SS it's difficult to get a read on those metals because the resistance doesn't fluctuate as much.

ufosnowcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Aalst, Belgium
Lol, I got busy , but yeah, at times I even annoy my wife with purchase decisions. Should have it by the end of the week I think.

So this mod does not have the same annoying "round robin" thing as the cuboid when you adjust wattage right? From what I have heard / read, on that one if you miss what you want, you have to keep going to 200 to roll it over and get back to low wattages.

the round robin is only for your max wattage in TC
+ you have 3 custom tc modes you can set, look up the value of your wire and you should be good to go

the cuboid after FW upgrade dous 200W but only on a verry small ohm range like .2x to .3x
is the r200 better there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread