Oregon Call to Action - Multiple bills threaten access, awareness, and availability of vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Oregon’s legislative session begins on Monday, February 2nd, and already a handful of damaging e-cigarette related bills have been pre-filed. This year, Oregon vapers are facing flavor bans, taxes, use bans, packaging restrictions, and the introduction of a new and exciting derogatory term (“Inhalant Delivery System”) used to define the vapor product category. We are anticipating updating this call to action several times.

HB 2546 has been scheduled for a hearing on Monday, February 9th, 1:00 pm
at the Oregon State Capitol (900 Court Street NE, Room 453, Salem, Oregon 97301). Please plan to attend this hearing.

Although CASAA generally supports banning sales to minors, HB 2546 would include provisions that ban indoor use in public places (which includes privately-owned businesses) as well as in personal vehicles where a minor is present. Please take action now to oppose this bill.

Take Action - Send an Email

For full information on the Oregon CTA, including a description of the Oregon bills we're following, please see the Oregon CTA.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I just seen that new VUSE commercial, first of all it looks COOL if that doesn't catch your eye you miiight be a blindkneck and secondly REGULAR and MENTHOL flavor only how convenient.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...oSHJrg&usg=AFQjCNFLxSyTI8yK5NU__kvMJVVw0BFE4Q
Reynolds? why would big tobacco spend $ to fight itself? hmmmm...
The gas station cigalikes are designed to suppliment cigareettes, not replace them. Flavors are imortant for vaping because it is intended to entirely replace smoking.

kenbu

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Oregon
Amazing..... amazing how my state ALLOWS “Cigar bars”, but bans cigarettes or vaping within the same establishment. More amazing how we'll allow indoor smoking... as long as you are in a location throwing away your hard earned cash into state sanctioned video poker machines.

I'm not one for vaping indoors anyway, except in my own house, but come on, can we TRY and have a little consistency?

LadyGrelka

Feb 9, 2015
Oregon
I too would like to know how the hearing went. Also flavor bans was mentioned in the first post, why would they do this, I do not really understand this, what kind of danger would flavored e-liquid pose that regular tobacco or menthol does not, or are they just being, well the nicest word I can think of that is not a swear word is brat so, brats?

Last edited:

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
Also flavor bans was mentioned in the first post, why would they do this, I do not really understand this, what kind of danger would flavored e-liquid pose that regular tobacco or menthol does not

My guess is that the person(s) writing up the bill thinks flavors are added to try to attract children to vaping. Ban anything sweet and voila', kids won't be tempted to try it. Yeahhhh, riiight.

Since the bill writers are not interested at all in vaping or in learning anything positive about it, the writers have no idea that adults trying to quit smoking find sweet flavors to be extremely important in helping many give up smoking in favor of much safer, tastier vaping.

The endless propaganda about flavors being "marketed" just to ensnare children makes a big impression on the ignorant.

It's a shame that legislators and regulators are so wrong, so many times, about so much pertaining to electronic cigarettes and e-liquid.

LadyGrelka

Feb 9, 2015
Oregon
My guess is that the person(s) writing up the bill thinks flavors are added to try to attract children to vaping. Ban anything sweet and voila', kids won't be tempted to try it. Yeahhhh, riiight.

Since the bill writers are not interested at all in vaping or in learning anything positive about it, the writers have no idea that adults trying to quit smoking find sweet flavors to be extremely important in helping many give up smoking in favor of much safer, tastier vaping.

The endless propaganda about flavors being "marketed" just to ensnare children makes a big impression on the ignorant.

It's a shame that legislators and regulators are so wrong, so many times, about so much pertaining to electronic cigarettes and e-liquid.

You are very right, kids are not drawn to things like drinking or smoking because of the taste they are drawn because they are not suppose to do it or because they think it looks cool. If they are going to ban flavor e-liquid because they THINK kids are drawn in because of the flavor they need to ban hard liquor that boste flavor such as strawberry flavor liquor.

LadyGrelka

Feb 9, 2015
Oregon
I don't know if there is any info about what parts of these are going to pass or not but I do know, after talking to someone who was there that the session was very one sided, those that where there to protect the rights of those of us that vape got only two min to speak and only got to speak once, those that want all this to go through got much more time and got to speak more then once.

I did find this on the page that was linked in the first post Status: (Introduced) 2015-02-27 - Rules suspended. Carried over to March 2, 2015 Calendar. [HB2546 Detail]

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
so underage smoking declines because they now vape "gateway"? so they'd prefer they smoke instead by making vaping illegal for minors....so a criminal record or back to smoking hmmm IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN. :facepalm:

The most screwed up thing about this bill is that you cannot vape in a vape shop, but you can smoke carcinogenic hookah tobacco in a hookah lounge, or cigars in a cigar bar..

I mean seriously? It has to be a lack of education because there's no other way I can see deeming VG and PG to be worse than Tobacco use in such an establishment as making any damn sense otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread