Oregon Call to Action - Multiple bills threaten access, awareness, and availability of vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOCK COLLAR

Jan 11, 2015
N.Cal
I disagree although vaping in a vape shop makes sense an outdoor tasting bar isnt hard to make enless a 50ft away from said shops is imposed. The most screwd up thing is the WHOLE THING and that it passed with flying colors. Oregon hasnt got its tax implaments on vaping YET so of coarse they have to protect the ones it already has tobacco and the whole notion it's for the children is a farse and the fact that argument works still today is absurd all on its own.

LadyGrelka

Feb 9, 2015
Oregon
I personally think it all comes down to two things, money and control, soo much for this being the land of the free, the fact that you can't even vape in a vape shop is beyond stupid, I don't see them banning hookah bars or cigar bars that allow you to smoke inside. They say its to protect the kids but that is a bunch of crap its so they have more control and I would not be surprised if the next step is taxing the hell out of vaping products. They said in the article that nicotine is "known to interfere with adolescent brain development" but lets look at the list of health issues that caffeine causes in kids but I don't see them banning that or regulating it. Or how about all the different additives that they put in food, or fast food, so much for them wanting to look out for the kids. Looks like I am going to have to get up to my vap shop soon and spend a lot of time trying different flavors and getting a list of what I like before I am unable to test them before buying them.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
UPDATE 3/6/15:

Heads up, Oregon . . . we've updated the CASAA Call to Action--

Oregon Senate Bill 190 would enact an online sales ban for electronic cigarettes as well as smokeless tobacco. Although we tend to take it for granted that vapor retail shops are easy to find and increasingly accessible, access to combustible cigarettes is still greater. There are thousands of consumers that depend on having products delivered to their door so they can continue to live smoke-free.

SB 190 has been set for a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, 3/9/15, at 8:30 A.M., 900 Court St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97301, Room HR 343. We encourage vapers and tobacco harm reduction advocates to attend the hearing.

Oppose SB 190 - Send an Email

If you are submitting written testimony:
Bring 10 copies with you to the hearing
Email your testimony to mike.reiley@state.or.us.

As a sign of respect, CASAA asks that you refrain from vaping in the building.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
UPDATE 3/6/15:

Oregon Senate Bill 190 would enact an online sales ban for electronic cigarettes as well as smokeless tobacco. Although we tend to take it for granted that vapor retail shops are easy to find and increasingly accessible, access to combustible cigarettes is still greater. There are thousands of consumers that depend on having products delivered to their door so they can continue to live smoke-free.

SB 190 has been set for a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, 3/9/15, at 8:30 A.M., 900 Court St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97301, Room HR 343. We encourage vapers and tobacco harm reduction advocates to attend the hearing.

Thanks for the update. Read it here before checking my email, low and behold the freedom fighters at CASAA notified me of it there as well. :toast:

This bill is completely unreasonable. I would propose to compromise and require some sort of ID verification rather than an outright ban. I've seen enough to know that we will not get everything we want no matter how hard we fight, and some sort of Identification verification requirement seems to be the only logical middle ground.

It shouldn't have to be this way, but if anything at all It's the only way I see it working out somewhat in our favor. I order pretty much exclusively online due to better pricing, and one of my go to vendors EC Blend is in Medford OR. I'm afraid if this passes they would go out of business along with many other such businesses and that is lost tax revenue, and lost jobs.

Last edited:

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
I contacted my go to E-liquid maker EC Blend, they are in Medford OR. This was the response I received.

Thank you for passing along this information. We are currently working on this and plan on attending to voice our opinion.
We thank you for your support and are delighted you enjoy our wonderful E-liquid.
Please voice your thoughts to your state Senator to help us all in this issue.

Best Regards,
Tim
ECBlend Flavors

Also it appears that Vapor Trails NW will be attending according to the Electronic Cigarette sub Reddit.

If you folks know of any other vape stores in Oregon please forward the relevant information to them to make sure they will attend.

LadyGrelka

Feb 9, 2015
Oregon
I can see the point in limiting online sales, being that is probably were a lot of kids get their stuff, but this falls on the head of the parents, they give their kids credit/debit cards or let them use theirs, and USPS and others do not require ID checks I don't even think there is an option to require age verification on delivery, it would be that simple make ID checks a requirement for the delivery of vape products, and make sure the name on the ID matches the name the package is made out to and that they are over 18. They can claim all day long this is to protect the kids but I again call their BS, it is all about the money, they are losing money with the decline of cigs due to people going to vaping, I would not be surprised if the next step is to tax vape products like e-liquid and coils, to where you are paying more then 20$ for a bottle of lets say 17.5mil e-liquid, where as now I pay about 11$.

If this was really about protecting our kids from the dangers of smoking, be it cigs or vaping then I would not have watched a cop do nothing when four of the six high schoolers that got off the bus just a short time ago lit up and he saw them get off the bus and light up. Not to mention the faculty and cops that patrol around the middle and high schools know where the kids go to smoke and they do NOTHING.

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
UPDATE 3/6/15:

This is an atrocity and must be stopped at all cost. Since vaping is harmless and the cure for smoking any restriction or tax on ecigs is a crime against humanity and cannot be suffered without resistance. There is absolutely no justification for interfering with the free trade of harmless vapor products or low-risk smokeless products.

'Smoking kills, nicotine doesn't': a huge boost for campaigners who say e-cigs save lives » Spectator Blogs

PS: anybody mentioning "the children" fallacy is an enemy of vapers, freedom, and The Republic. See here for more: Endgame: the Islamic State approach to tobacco control | Anti-THR Lies and related topics

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
SB 415 and HB 2546 are scheduled for a public hearing on MONDAY, March 23rd, at 3:00 PM in the Senate Committee on Health in Hearing Room (HR) A of the State Legislature in Salem. Please make plans to attend this hearing. (As a sign of respect, we request that you refrain from vaping in the building.)

Please take action NOW by sending emails to the committee and your state senator.

Oppose SB 415 & HB 2546 - Send an Email

SB 415 would ban the sales of e-cigarette flavors other than tobacco and menthol. The bill also specifies that the Oregon Health Authority may impose fines of up to $5000 for each violation. Furthermore, like other anti-vapor bills in Oregon, HB 415 refers to vapor products as “Inhalant Delivery Systems”, a derogatory and intentionally misleading term.

HB 2546 would include vaping in the state’s indoor clean air act. This bill has already passed the House. This bill is so extreme that it does not even include an exemption for vape shops.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to full Call to Action: CASAA: Oregon Call to Action (URGENT): Take Action NOW to oppose 2 bills that would SEVERELY limit access to and use of vapor products!

LadyGrelka

Feb 9, 2015
Oregon
I have to say that I am not surprised at all by this, I am just waiting for the next shoe to drop with them taxing vaping products. Well I wonder how many vape shops are going to be going out of business because of this .....

SB 415 and HB 2546 are scheduled for a public hearing on MONDAY, March 23rd, at 3:00 PM in the Senate Committee on Health in Hearing Room (HR) A of the State Legislature in Salem. Please make plans to attend this hearing. (As a sign of respect, we request that you refrain from vaping in the building.)

Please take action NOW by sending emails to the committee and your state senator.

Oppose SB 415 & HB 2546 - Send an Email

SB 415 would ban the sales of e-cigarette flavors other than tobacco and menthol. The bill also specifies that the Oregon Health Authority may impose fines of up to $5000 for each violation. Furthermore, like other anti-vapor bills in Oregon, HB 415 refers to vapor products as “Inhalant Delivery Systems”, a derogatory and intentionally misleading term.

HB 2546 would include vaping in the state’s indoor clean air act. This bill has already passed the House. This bill is so extreme that it does not even include an exemption for vape shops.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to full Call to Action: CASAA: Oregon Call to Action (URGENT): Take Action NOW to oppose 2 bills that would SEVERELY limit access to and use of vapor products!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
We updated the Oregon Call to Action today (3-28-15):

SB 415 (ban on sales of flavored e-liquid) is scheduled for a work session and will likely move to a vote in the Senate Committee on Health Care on Monday, March 30th at 3:00PM. Although an amendment has been introduced that would remove the prohibition on flavored e-liquid SB 415 would still prohibit the sale of other flavored low-risk, smoke-free products AND this bill lays the foundation for future prohibition of flavored vapor products. Please take a moment to send an email to the committee and your state senator urging them to reject SB 415.

HB 2546 (indoor use ban) remains unamended. We have updated our call to action to include an email worded in opposition to this bill specifically. Please take a moment now to send it to members of the committee and your state senator.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
SB415 passed out of committee with a recommendation of "Do pass with amendments and requesting referral to Finance and Revenue. (Printed A-Engrossed.)", and the amendment was ditching the flavor ban on vapor products.

And it looks like the house bill with the indoor vape ban is still in committee, but has amendments now pending to remove the restriction for vape shops

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
SB415 passed out of committee with a recommendation of "Do pass with amendments and requesting referral to Finance and Revenue. (Printed A-Engrossed.)", and the amendment was ditching the flavor ban on vapor products.

And it looks like the house bill with the indoor vape ban is still in committee, but has amendments now pending to remove the restriction for vape shops

So then we don't have to worry about a flavor ban? Good news right? A pretty big win.

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Hey, Oregon . . . new Call to Action for you.

HB 2074 and HB 2134 would expand Oregon’s definition of “tobacco products” to include “vapor products” for the purpose of imposing a 65% wholesale tax on e-cigarette liquid and devices. Imagine paying more than $1/ml on your next bottle of e-liquid or $165 for a $100 mod.

Both of these bills are scheduled to be heard in the House Revenue Committee.

Monday, April 6th
1:00 PM
House Room - A (HR A)
900 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301

Please take 3 minutes to send a fully editable email to your representative urging them to oppose these bills.

If you live in a district represented by someone on the committee, you will receive an additional alert prompting you to take action. It is vitally important that you especially take action due to the fact that legislators consider the views of their constituents with greater weight.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Oregon Call to Action! Oppose 2 bills that would enact a 65% wholesale tax on vapor products.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
Hey, Oregon . . . new Call to Action for you.

HB 2074 and HB 2134 would expand Oregon’s definition of “tobacco products” to include “vapor products” for the purpose of imposing a 65% wholesale tax on e-cigarette liquid and devices. Imagine paying more than $1/ml on your next bottle of e-liquid or $165 for a $100 mod.

Both of these bills are scheduled to be heard in the House Revenue Committee.

Monday, April 6th
1:00 PM
House Room - A (HR A)
900 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301

Please take 3 minutes to send a fully editable email to your representative urging them to oppose these bills.

If you live in a district represented by someone on the committee, you will receive an additional alert prompting you to take action. It is vitally important that you especially take action due to the fact that legislators consider the views of their constituents with greater weight.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Oregon Call to Action! Oppose 2 bills that would enact a 65% wholesale tax on vapor products.

It's not letting me send an email, keeps giving me this error "We were unable to find recipients matching this address for the targets of this engagement. Please verify your address is correct if you believe this to be in error."

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
It's not letting me send an email, keeps giving me this error "We were unable to find recipients matching this address for the targets of this engagement. Please verify your address is correct if you believe this to be in error."

I've flagged this for Alex Clark, our legislative director, and we'll see if we can figure out what the problem is.

The program is designed to match advocates with the legislators from their district. So, for example, if you provide a NY address, you won't be able to participate in the campaign because a NY address won't match up with any Oregon legislators. If you're inputting an Oregon address, though, there shouldn't be an issue. :(

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
I've flagged this for Alex Clark, our legislative director, and we'll see if we can figure out what the problem is.

The program is designed to match advocates with the legislators from their district. So, for example, if you provide a NY address, you won't be able to participate in the campaign because a NY address won't match up with any Oregon legislators. If you're inputting an Oregon address, though, there shouldn't be an issue. :(

I am using an Oregon address, so I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread