Oregon Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access, awareness, and availability of vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Oregon’s legislative session begins on Monday, February 2nd, and already a handful of damaging e-cigarette related bills have been pre-filed. This year, Oregon vapers are facing flavor bans, taxes, use bans, packaging restrictions, and the introduction of a new and exciting derogatory term (“Inhalant Delivery System”) used to define the vapor product category. We are anticipating updating this call to action several times.

HB 2546 has been scheduled for a hearing on Monday, February 9th, 1:00 pm
at the Oregon State Capitol (900 Court Street NE, Room 453, Salem, Oregon 97301). Please plan to attend this hearing.

Although CASAA generally supports banning sales to minors, HB 2546 would include provisions that ban indoor use in public places (which includes privately-owned businesses) as well as in personal vehicles where a minor is present. Please take action now to oppose this bill.

Take Action - Send an Email

For full information on the Oregon CTA, including a description of the Oregon bills we're following, please see the Oregon CTA.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Heads up, Oregon . . . we've updated the CASAA Call to Action--

Oregon Senate Bill 190 would enact an online sales ban for electronic cigarettes as well as smokeless tobacco. Although we tend to take it for granted that vapor retail shops are easy to find and increasingly accessible, access to combustible cigarettes is still greater. There are thousands of consumers that depend on having products delivered to their door so they can continue to live smoke-free.

SB 190 has been set for a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, 3/9/15, at 8:30 A.M., 900 Court St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97301, Room HR 343. We encourage vapers and tobacco harm reduction advocates to attend the hearing.

Oppose SB 190 - Send an Email

If you are submitting written testimony:
Bring 10 copies with you to the hearing
Email your testimony to mike.reiley@state.or.us.

As a sign of respect, we ask that you refrain from vaping in the building.

Link to full Call to Action: CASAA: Oregon Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access, awareness, and availability of vapor products

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the heads up and all of the work CASAA does, I sent an email with a personal note attached. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the hearing and wasn't able to attend the last one either.

On a side note I received the first positive response on a CTA from my US senator today about the FDA grandfather clause, I've received several responses but all of them failed to address any of the major points mentioned and one was even blatantly anti-vaping. It might just be lip service but I found it encouraging so I thought I'd share it here.

Email:
Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about the grandfather provisions in the Tobacco Control Act. I appreciate you raising this issue with me.

Thanks to your letter and the letters of fellow Oregonians, I have asked my staff to take a closer look into this matter. It is very helpful to hear your comments, particularly as I hold conversations with my Senate colleagues on the regulation of e-cigarettes.

Again, I have made note of your points and appreciate your input. I hope you will continue to send your observations and thoughts my way.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Wow, look at all these bills. If they all passed vaping would essentially be outlawed, if a couple of them pass vaping would be horribly crippled. They are truly trying to take out vaping from every angle aren't they? At 8:30am on a Monday there's not a lot of people that will be able to make it, I hope I can hear how it went. I sent my emails begging them to delay passing regulations until the truth is known and the fear has died down but who knows what little that will do.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
I'm going to try to get down there Monday morning, but I'm not sure I can. I don't even know what to say if I do make it..

Yeah I'm going to try and make it as well. They aren't going to completely back down and give us what we want, but I am pleadeing for an attempt at compromise. Perhaps and ID Verification system for online purchases to avoid an outright internet sales band and to ensure minors cannot order them online. I know Texas has a similar bill, and their ID system costs $6 dollars to run through for every online store transaction.

To me paying a few bucks to have my ID verified is far better than not having the ability to order online at all, considering I have social anxiety disorder and sometimes dealing with people face to face on bad days is not an option.

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I wouldn't give them any ideas that include a new fee. I would instead point out that guns alcohol and even tobacco are legal to buy online. There are some restrictions for online tobacco sales at both the state and federal level but that still hasn't stopped people from buying or selling tobacco online without following the regulations. I would also point out that there isn't a single regulation that has stopped determined teens from smoking. It would however be a burden on those who vape to quit smoking, both in increased cost and decreased access(most of my hardware including my DNA 40 device isn't available locally).

I would also mention that there isn't a single study that shows a properly used ecig to be anywhere near as dangerous as smoking(pointing out that the PSU study only showed high levels of formaldehyde when the ecig was used improperly in a way that would be extremely unpleasant to a vaper) and that for many people that have tried all the methods to quit this is the only one that worked. I would finish by saying that they may think they're trying to save people but in reality they're putting up roadblocks for people that are trying to save themselves, then I would ask if they want more or less people to quit smoking.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
I wouldn't give them any ideas that include a new fee. I would instead point out that guns alcohol and even tobacco are legal to buy online. There are some restrictions for online tobacco sales at both the state and federal level but that still hasn't stopped people from buying or selling tobacco online without following the regulations. I would also point out that there isn't a single regulation that has stopped determined teens from smoking. It would however be a burden on those who vape to quit smoking, both in increased cost and decreased access(most of my hardware including my DNA 40 device isn't available locally).

I would also mention that there isn't a single study that shows a properly used ecig to be anywhere near as dangerous as smoking(pointing out that the PSU study only showed high levels of formaldehyde when the ecig was used improperly in a way that would be extremely unpleasant to a vaper) and that for many people that have tried all the methods to quit this is the only one that worked. I would finish by saying that they may think they're trying to save people but in reality they're putting up roadblocks for people that are trying to save themselves, then I would ask if they want more or less people to quit smoking.

Good points, though you cannot buy a gun online directly. Any online order of a firearm is sent to a local federal firearms licensed dealer and the transaction has to be made from there in person along with a background check.

I have the feeling nothing said will make them reconsider. I have believe they will push the online sales ban regardless of testimony.

That's the only reason I brought up the idea of an ID verification system as a practical alternative. I just feel without something like it as a middle ground this will have no issue being signed into law.

Oregon is run by far left of center individuals so from what I can see, and past trends (like the multnomah county bill that passed this week) this is on track to be a sure thing. As someone who is fairly liberal myself, I hate to see it go this far.

It looks like I won't be able to get down there Monday, so best of luck to all those attending.

Last edited:

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon

Excellent points I hope someone who is there will represent them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread