Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Fenix makes great lights. I have a PD35 that I carry every day at work and on the go, clipped to my left pocket. I'm using a protected eagletac 18650 battery on it. The light has 5 brightness levels, almost too many because I have to actually count the levels as I'm adjusting them to keep track because they are fairly close to the same level as you increase them. It puts out 850 lumens and if you press and hold the side button (also adjusts the brightness) it will strobe like crazy. I don't have 18650s for my provari yet, I just swap 18490s fairly frequently. And I've heard the the Provari doesn't do so hot with protected 18650s. I'm not sure if AW IMR's would do real well in the light though. As my protected battery starts dying, the light prevents you from increasing the brightness to the max and will later automatically lower the brightness since the chip senses that the battery can't keep up.

Fenix PD35 ....

Eagletac D25 series lights are super nice too

those look like great lights. I'm bookmarking them here

Amazon.com: EagleTac D25LC2 CREE XM-L2 U2 850 Lumens Clicky LED Flashlight, Black

Amazon.com: Fenix PD35 Flashlight-850 Lumens (2xCR123A included)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
This is my fav I have had it for a couple years great flash light
Amazon.com: Fenix PD32 Compact 315 Lumen LED Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

That also has outstanding reviews. Here's another link drop

Amazon.com: Fenix PD32 Ultimate Edition-740 Lumens: Sports & Outdoors

I like seeing a mountain biker's review there (along with experienced military).
I used to ride at night about 15 years ago and know you need good light.
.... happens real fast at night on a bike.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
and then there's this

Saber Flashlight

I read somewhere that Vamo has a secret feature that allows it to fire without pressing the button.
That would be the mod for this.

No real features besides screwing a light onto one of my Vamos and setting it to fire.
Not setting it on fire wiseguy :evil:

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yes, exactly. That's why the "protected" batteries were born a couple of years ago.

I personally value my safety more than the waterproofness of a flashlight - and drill a hole in the tube.
Now if anyone really needs a waterproof flashlight, for illuminating the bathtub or whatever, just use protected batteries for at least some additional safety.

Great idea Chris and I will have to look into drilling it.

It is a bad AYuss torch (as I found out they call them). I took it on a 3 + hour night venture into the woods last weekend and it performed great.

I kept it low profile and used the lowest setting most of the time for walking. Occasionally I hit the max bright setting and upon seeing the near sun light brightness, The kids all wanted to run it and the three other dudes commented several times on how bright it was.

Very happy with the purchase. When I got home the battery metered 4.1V

I brought an extra battery. Nice to have an extra for my REO or light :)

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Any of you 18650 lights guys know if this one lives up to the hype?

NiteCore SRT7 Revenger Cree XM-L2 LED Flashlight

I watched some YouTube shootouts and read some great reviews.

How could it be worth 4-8x the price of some of the decent cheaper lights?

I'll probably get one of the cheaper lights but looking for input on this one.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that I need a dependable highly adjustable beam light for hiking.
I don't necessarily need a ton of features such as different colors.
Dependability, light weight, adjustability, efficiency & 18650 are necessary though.
Any suggestions for good lights fitting my guidelines?

Thanks

the Ultrafire is a nice cheap light and is the one I'll loan out and the kids can use, will probably pickup another one or two as you can never have to many lights. So others never touch the good ones,;)

I've been reading reviews and looking for my personal light. The SRT7 is nice, the SRT6 is the same without the color LEDs. I like the PD35 but it won't tail stand and when out camping or when we lose power that's very handy. The Thrunite TN12 (2014 version) and the Nitecore P12 also have good reviews as well as the Eagletac TX25C2.

Amazon.com: NiteCore SRT6 930 Lumens Infinite Brightness Adjustment LED Flashlight, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: ThruNite TN12 2014 Flashlight Neutral White, Cree XM-L2 U2 LED, Max Output 1050 Lumen: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2 1180 Lumens Flashlight, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: NITECORE P12 950 Lumens high intensity CREE XM-L2 LED long throw tactical flashlight with Smith & Wesson LED CaraBeamer Clip Light and 2 X EdisonBright CR123A Lithium Batteries Bundle: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
the Ultrafire is a nice cheap light and is the one I'll loan out and the kids can use, will probably pickup another one or two as you can never have to many lights. So others never touch the good ones,;)

I've been reading reviews and looking for my personal light. The SRT7 is nice, the SRT6 is the same without the color LEDs. I like the PD35 but it won't tail stand and when out camping or when we lose power that's very handy. The Thrunite TN12 (2014 version) and the Nitecore P12 also have good reviews as well as the Eagletac TX25C2.

Amazon.com: NiteCore SRT6 930 Lumens Infinite Brightness Adjustment LED Flashlight, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: ThruNite TN12 2014 Flashlight Neutral White, Cree XM-L2 U2 LED, Max Output 1050 Lumen: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: NITECORE P12 950 Lumens high intensity CREE XM-L2 LED long throw tactical flashlight with Smith & Wesson LED CaraBeamer Clip Light and 2 X EdisonBright CR123A Lithium Batteries Bundle: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks. I removed that EagleTac from the quote. Reviewers say it's not V2

Amazon.com: EagleTac TX25C2 XM-L2 U2 LED Flashlight - 1180 Lumens - Authentic: Sports & Outdoors

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Well this thread just made me buy the Ultrafire Wf-502b Cree Xm-l T6 Led 5 Mode Focus Flashlight Torch for 7.69 with free shipping. I have a few 18650 protected batteries lying around from the olden days and at least they might get some use. Like someone said here you can't have too many flashlights. Does anyone own one of these and how is it?

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Well this thread just made me buy the Ultrafire Wf-502b Cree Xm-l T6 Led 5 Mode Focus Flashlight Torch for 7.69 with free shipping. I have a few 18650 protected batteries lying around from the olden days and at least they might get some use. Like someone said here you can't have too many flashlights. Does anyone own one of these and how is it?

That UF looks good but be aware...

Amazon.com: jjceo (jjceo@comcast . net)'s review of Ultrafire Wf-502b Cree Xm-l T6 Led 5 Mode ...

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Interesting, note that any of these lights will get warm on high or turbo, the lighter and cheaper, the hotter. he was wrong on one point it tail stands just fine.

I'll probably get a couple of those for starter lights while I do more research :thumb:

Too heavy to clip on my ballcap?

I usually wear a leather Stetson while hiking in the summer but it'll be too floppy for a torch.

Last edited:

ilikedawgs

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013

Thread made me order one too. Just arrived today and I gotta say, I have no complaints. This thing is so far superior to all the AA and AAA "torches" (no comparison) I own. It makes sense that an 18650 would be brighter, but I had no idea of how much brighter.
For the price, and the fact that I have up to 15 18650's charged at any given moment, this is a perfect light. I may have to get a couple more just for backups.
I really hope I don't get curious about flashlights in the next price bracket above the Ultrafire. Then I would have to see what the next level was like and so on.
I think you will be pleased with the performance, for the price.

Scent from a phone.

Pharein

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
New Zealand
Oh boy, getting into flashlights is very dangerous territory if you have an addictive personality. I now have about 6 flashlights for different applications. One for every day carry, one for the car, one for the keychain, a headlamp for work... you get the idea. I almost regret looking into these 'cause I'm well and truly hooked. My only saving grace is they are very affordable at the budget end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread