Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I bought this one on the 17th and got it today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=35OHGPZ721G24&C=3T5MUR8F9569O&H=MMU6SDPTBTN1ZMYSMGJLVTRPGO4A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB00A0C8FIC%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
It came as I was leaving for work. Took the time to put a battery in and check it out. Very bright light! Even though the sun was shining bright I could still see the beam across the room! One button on and off. It even has metal on it! Is heavier than I thought. Not cheaply made.

Ordered this one also for my 14500. It is on the slow boat! Should arrive next month.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=35OHGPZ721G24&C=3TG14KBDH777U&H=YNNAWQCIFVZDLFLOQ6PKEW4VZB0A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB006E0QAFY%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Used my new 18650 flashlight to do some "light painting' photography tonight. To light paint you put your camera on a tripod. Then you put your shutter on "B" so that the shutter remains open. Then you take your flashlight and paint over your subject with the beam. With digital photography this is fairly easy because you can check your exposures easily and work from there. This building was approximately 35 yards from the camera. THe 18650 puts out a fairly strong light making painting fairly fast. This exposure was 35 seconds. There was a street lamp near by that I would guess gave about 20% street light to 80% flashlight for the total exposure. This gas station has been abandoned for quite a while as the price of a gallon of regular gas was 49 cents.
_MG_6839-L.jpg

Last edited:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Mine didn't specify. I think its better to run protected in them because you can't run the battery too far down and kill it. Also since this is a closed tube I think it might be like a pipe bomb if the battery went crazy. I may drill holes in mine anyway. I lose water protection but I may feel somewhat safer.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Mine didn't specify. I think its better to run protected in them because you can't run the battery too far down and kill it. Also since this is a closed tube I think it might be like a pipe bomb if the battery went crazy. I may drill holes in mine anyway. I lose water protection but I may feel somewhat safer.

I've got a couple of vape safe type fuses around, might go that route if there is room. Don't really want to spend more on batteries but I have some flat tops lying around that aren't getting used.... I ordered the one in the first post of this thread plus the one linked here:

Amazon.com: DB POWER Ultrafire 1000 Lm Lumen Cree 501b Xm-l T6 LED Flashlight Torch High Power: Home Improvement (Couple of posts above) One for the car, one for home.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I think there will be plenty of room for the fuze. Mine has a good size spring under the negative end of the battery. I have the one in the first post in this thread. It gets dangerous looking at those 18650 lights. Yesterday I got sucked into looking at the Nitecore lights with continuously variable output. $100 could go real fast. The price of the one I bought went down 90 cents since I got mine. :laugh:

I just put in a flat top in mine and it would change modes when I moved the light around. I guess the battery has some play in there. Probably a spacer or fuse in there would make it tighter. All my old Ultrafires that I use in it are button tops.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
My convoy S4 stopped working with less than 2 hours of use on it. Pushed the button, came on and then just quit. First thought was dead battery. Pulled it - 3.8V left, swapped it and nothing.

The company, via email, had me trouble shoot it and is in the process of sending me an RMA to get it back / send me a new one.

Sorta bummed. My first foray and 24 dollars in and it quit :(

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
My convoy S4 stopped working with less than 2 hours of use on it. Pushed the button, came on and then just quit. First thought was dead battery. Pulled it - 3.8V left, swapped it and nothing.

The company, via email, had me trouble shoot it and is in the process of sending me an RMA to get it back / send me a new one.

Sorta bummed. My first foray and 24 dollars in and it quit :(

Sorry to hear that, Super. Hopefully an anomaly and not the norm.....

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear that, Super. Hopefully an anomaly and not the norm.....

They (illumination supply) assured me that it is not typical for this torch to fail. He suspects it's the driver. I'm not up on flashlight buzzwords but notice how I used "torch" above :)

Like most electronics though, if it's gonna fail it will usually fail right away.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
They (illumination supply) assured me that it is not typical for this torch to fail. He suspects it's the driver. I'm not up on flashlight buzzwords but notice how I used "torch" above :)

Like most electronics though, if it's gonna fail it will usually fail right away.

Having been in IT for the majority of my career I know what you're saying about failure. I've got questions about the driver as well but when I clicked on the driver number in the description I was redirected to a page that was invalid. Proper page not found. Wonder what this driver stuff is about....

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Having recently switched to Sony VTC5's from the AW IMR 1600 mAH batteries, when I saw this thread the proverbial light came on, so I hunted around and snagged one of the EAGTAC D25LC2's. It's easily the best flashlight I've ever owned, and I have enough batteries for it, I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse :)

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
A modded flashlight! Good Googly! :laugh:
I had the same idea and fell over when i saw the price tags on them!

Decent light can be had for under $10. I've got two these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X7LV0W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then my favorite is the ThruNite TN12, can tail stand and has a true low light (moon) setting. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IEWOCP0...UTF8&colid=3PME4UPCTT0HX&coliid=ISNKZK93SVEPM

keep in mind Some of the lights require button top batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread