OT: Anyone remember this skinny little guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Just thought I'd put in an update.

I haven't posted picturees in a while and I heard it's different now. Lemme see if I can get this:

Bonesback.jpg

Well, it worked for me... lets see if anyone else can see it.

This is Bones in June when we got him.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Well he is a big happy boy now:

299787_10150299209164176_514244175_7660974_3910614_n.jpg

310391_10150316063284176_514244175_7759673_29311422_n.jpg

Poor guy still hasn't been adopted. He gets stressed out at adoption events and so he acts like an ahole. We are working with him on this though. He did semi-good last week when we took him to see Santa! I'll have to see if I can get that photo on here.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Isn't that a cute pic!! He is a cutie for sure! Yeah, he's a real sweetheart at home, but like I said, it's when we go in public that matters. It's probably all part of his plan, he doesn't want to be adopted! And the fact that he's a pit mix doesn't help at all. People see that on his stat sheet and back away quickly with a horrified look on their face :(

ChadR

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Omaha, NE
Pit bulls are one of the greatest breeds ever. Sad they've been given so much grief for their genetics. Racism towards people bad, breedism towards dogs perfectly acceptable...
While I agree it is not a good thing to base your opinion of a breed on the actions of one dog, having had a loose pit bull charge my three year old son, and only the kindness of a stranger and a well trained Collie to thank for the pit bull not reaching his destination, I have to say pit bulls scare the bejeesus out of me. Not as much some of their owners, but I keep a close eye on my kids when I see one of those around.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
While I agree it is not a good thing to base your opinion of a breed on the actions of one dog, having had a loose pit bull charge my three year old son, and only the kindness of a stranger and a well trained Collie to thank for the pit bull not reaching his destination, I have to say pit bulls scare the bejeesus out of me. Not as much some of their owners, but I keep a close eye on my kids when I see one of those around.

And this is what makes me so very sad! BAD BAD BAD owners turn good dogs bad. Who knows which breed will be the next on the target list. Once upon a time it was the Doby, then the Rottie, now the Pitty. It is not the breed that is bad, it is the way they are trained or treated. Even a docile Golden Retriever can be turned into a dangerous machine (just ask my step-son....he was almost attacked by one as a youngster). It's time for the law to catch up with the times and punish the true aggressors......the BAD owners. When someone is shot, it's not the gun that gets punished, it is the one who pulled the trigger....with dogs, it is the exact same thing.....the bad guy uses a dog instead of the gun....just as the gun was manufactured, the poor dog is manufactured with brutal training and treatment. When someone is harmed by a dog, the owner should be held responsible just as if he pulled the trigger of a gun or hit someone with their car, or brutally beat them with a bat! Punish them to the fullest extent of the law as if it was attempted murder!!!

Sorry for the rant, it is just a nerve that gets pinched everytime......when I see the ASPCA commercials, when I see animal hoarders on tv, you name it, it's a peeve.

(Chad, please in no way take this as directed towards you....I fully understand your hesitations....there is nothing more precious than a child, and their safety takes first place.....my rant is towards those that have caused you such angst and distrust :()

Last edited:

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
Chad, i understand your hesitation also -- and it is the owners responsibility to not have their dog running loose! Also people who have overbred aggressive traits into certain dogs, and people who have taught them to be nasty and mean. My grandbaby is around my dog all the time and the biggest danger she poses is that her tail whips around too much so i have to make sure she doesnt smack her in the face with it. She used to lay on the floor right beside her and lick her face. Of course now that the baby is mobile and always seems to have food in her hands, there is another reason to follow her around constantly lol.

ChadR

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Omaha, NE
I try to keep in mind that not all pittys are bad, and I've even met a couple that were well mannered, sweet, and fun.
At the same time, for far too many pit bulls, the fight/flight response has been bred into a fight/fight response, or the owner has trained them into the same. They are such physically powerful animals that they become extremely dangerous when they are like this.
An adult human can often scare a dog enough to make them back down - but too many pits don't know how to back down.

Flip side of that same coin - I live in a sort of rough neighborhood, and my neighbor, a single lady, had a Rott who was the biggest pansy you can imagine. Her kids pulled that poor dog's tail, ears, rode her like a horse, etc. And then, when she was in bed on night two men broke into the house. The dog maimed both of them and held them until help could arrive, even though she was stabbed in the process. She survived and healed, and is doing well, and can almost make me comfortable around big dogs.
Almost :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread