Pico and Pico mega batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
So, at first I bought this: Battery (Samsung INR 18650-25R Battery - 2500mAh) Then today while looking for a battery for the mega, I realized that battery says continuous discharge rate is 20 amp. The insert with the pico mega says it needs 25 amp. So, I think I'll get this battery (Efest 18650 2100MAH 38A Battery (x2). Am I correct in the batteries I'm looking at?

Is it okay to go ahead and use the first battery in the regular Pico until I get the new ones as long as I keep the mod at low wattage. I believe it's set to below 20 watts, probably around 13. I don't actually have it with me.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
So, at first I bought this: Battery (Samsung INR 18650-25R Battery - 2500mAh) Then today while looking for a battery for the mega, I realized that battery says continuous discharge rate is 20 amp. The insert with the pico mega says it needs 25 amp. So, I think I'll get this battery (Efest 18650 2100MAH 38A Battery (x2). Am I correct in the batteries I'm looking at?

Is it okay to go ahead and use the first battery in the regular Pico until I get the new ones as long as I keep the mod at low wattage. I believe it's set to below 20 watts, probably around 13. I don't actually have it with me.
Efest batteries are overrated the 25R is quite capable and is one of the best batteries on the market

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Unfortunately, the Efest is a rewrap, which means you can't trust its rating. There are no 18650s with CDRs over 30 A, and the ones with 30 A have very low capacity (a charge doesn't last long.) Your Samsung 25R is actually a pretty good battery. With a single 20 A battery you can go up to 55 - 60 W.

With 18650s, you can only trust batteries from one of the manufacturers - Sony, Samsung or LG - and even then it's important to buy batteries from a trusted vendor because there are a lot of counterfeits around. Many of us rely on Mooch's chart of recommended batteries:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Pick one from that list (it shows the manufacturer's CDR and the CDR Mooch found when he tested it), and buy from one of the vendors on the bottom of the chart and you should be good.

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Unfortunately, the Efest is a rewrap, which means you can't trust its rating. There are no 18650s with CDRs over 30 A, and the ones with 30 A have very low capacity (a charge doesn't last long.) Your Samsung 25R is actually a pretty good battery. With a single 20 A battery you can go up to 55 - 60 W.

With 18650s, you can only trust batteries from one of the manufacturers - Sony, Samsung or LG - and even then it's important to buy batteries from a trusted vendor because there are a lot of counterfeits around. Many of us rely on Mooch's chart of recommended batteries:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Pick one from that list (it shows the manufacturer's CDR and the CDR Mooch found when he tested it), and buy from one of the vendors on the bottom of the chart and you should be good.

Thank you so much. I'll keep that link for reference.

Reactions: Hawise

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

The short answer is Yes. The 25R is a good battery for the Pico, but if you plan to push it to 75 watts, look at batteries with high MAH AND the highest CDR. it's a balancing act between MAH and CDR.

Naturally, you want the battery with the best combination of Constant Discharge Rating (CDR) and Milliamp Per Hour (MAH) rating. CDR tells you how many amps it can provide with a constant load over time. MAH reveals it's ability to produce a good vape over time and is an indicator of how long it will last at a given wattage before it's time to recharge.

If you are vaping below 20 watts, the battery you choose isn't as important as it will be if you are hitting the mod's high range in wattage. If you vape at low wattage you can choose a battery with higher MAH and a CDR of 15 or 20 or even lower. Just remember that with a lower CDR you can't run the mod at its max rating.

A battery can't produce high MAH and high CDR. You sacrifice CDR to get high MAH and vice versa. If you want to max out the wattage on the PICO, you need a battery with CDR of 25 or higher.

A regulated mod uses the battery to produce voltages needed to achieve a given wattage output for a given resistance. It plays games with Ohms Law to do that. The battery only supplies up to 4.2 volts to run the mod. The mod synthesizes higher voltages to achieve wattage, so the load is on the mod circuitry. The mod doesn't know what battery is installed, but it assumes that you followed the manufacturer's recommendations when you bought the battery, so buy a 25A battery to be safe.

Last edited:

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
The short answer is Yes. The 25R is a good battery for the Pico, but if you plan to push it to 75 watts, look at batteries with high MAH AND the highest CDR. it's a balancing act between MAH and CDR.

Naturally, you want the battery with the best combination of Constant Discharge Rating (CDR) and Milliamp Per Hour (MAH) rating. CDR tells you how many amps it can provide with a constant load over time. MAH reveals it's ability to produce a good vape over time and is an indicator of how long it will last at a given wattage before it's time to recharge.

If you are vaping below 20 watts, the battery you choose isn't as important as it will be if you are hitting the mod's high range in wattage. If you vape at low wattage you can choose a battery with higher MAH and a CDR of 15 or 20 or even lower. A battery can't produce high MAH and high CDR. You sacrifice CDR to get high MAH and vice versa. If you want to max out the wattage on the PICO, you need a battery with CDR of 25 or higher.

A regulated mod uses the battery to produce voltages needed to achieve a given wattage output for a given resistance. It plays games with Ohms Law to do that. The battery only supplies up to 4.2 volts to run the mod. The mod synthesizes higher voltages to achieve wattage, so the load is on the mod circuitry. The mod doesn't know what battery is installed, but it assumes that you followed the manufacturer's recommendations when you bought the battery, so buy a 25A battery to be safe.

Thank you. Great information. I'm going to stick with the 25R as we are both low voltage/high ohm users. I can't imagine that they'll ever be used for sub ohm, but if it was a thought, I'd be sure to get different batteries. It is currently at 15 watts with a 1.6 (maybe 1.8) ohm nautilus x on it.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thank you. Great information. I'm going to stick with the 25R as we are both low voltage/high ohm users. I can't imagine that they'll ever be used for sub ohm, but if it was a thought, I'd be sure to get different batteries. It is currently at 15 watts with a 1.6 (maybe 1.8) ohm nautilus x on it.

I vape under 20 watts with the Sony VCT6 and the LG HG2. I just have to remember that I can't push it to my Pico's rated max with some of those batteries, but I'm not likely to do that any way. I hate hot vapes!

Check out this thread for info on the VTC6 and some comments on the others.

Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

Here's a link to Mooch's Blog here on ECF. There's info on practically any battery you want there, plus lots of info on picking a good battery.
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: TJVapes

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
I vape under 20 watts with the Sony VCT6 and the LG HG2. I just have to remember that I can't push it to my Pico's rated max, but I'm not likely to do that any way. I hate hot vapes!

Check out this thread for info on the VTC6 and some comments on the others.

Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

Here's a link to Mooch's Blog here on ECF. There's info on practically any battery you want there, plus lots of info on picking a good battery.
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Thanks heaps !!

Reactions: DaveP

cloudJreams

Apr 11, 2017
Chicago
Having a problem figuring out batteries for the Pico Mega I just bought too.

Currently, all my batteries are LG HE2 18650 2500mAh 20 CDR but the Mega requires 18650s that are 25 CDR or higher. OR 26650s that are 35 CDR or higher.

I'd like to vape around the highest wattage (the Mega maxes out at 75w for 18650 or 80w for 26650). Can anyone offer a good battery solution? I'm getting confused by all the above banter.

Thanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Having a problem figuring out batteries for the Pico Mega I just bought too.

Currently, all my batteries are LG HE2 18650 2500mAh 20 CDR but the Mega requires 18650s that are 25 CDR or higher. OR 26650s that are 35 CDR or higher.

I'd like to vape around the highest wattage (the Mega maxes out at 75w for 18650 or 80w for 26650). Can anyone offer a good battery solution? I'm getting confused by all the above banter.

Thanks!

The specs for the Mega assume that you will hit the high wattage limit. It will adjust voltage for you and run within the battery specs it recommends. Use two 25A batteries and you should be fine. As long as you have 25A batteries from Sony, LG, or Samsung you should be fine. There are other batteries that will do the job, but the three brands listed are tried and true favorite batteries that are commonly used by people here on ECF.

Be sure and check out Mooch's battery test results for the batteries you plan on buying (a couple of posts back). Those numbers are actual test results, not manufacturer published numbers, although he includes the manufacturer's numbers as well as his test results in his review.

Last edited:
Reactions: cloudJreams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread