Pleas help! I spilled 100mg nic on my hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

dePeatrick

Nov 1, 2013
Ireland
Thank you guys! You are seriously the best! I was ready to head to the hospital filling out my will on the way. I cannot believe that I was so careless. Phew! I will not be touching that stuff again with out the proper safety measures! Now I am going to have to vape like crazy to get myself calmed down. Never quite had a freak out attack like what just happened, damn ears are even red... Deep breaths. Thanks Again!!

Damm...and you don't even know my name and address.......aw well....next time........gotta be quicker, gotta be quicker.......

dartmania2002

Oct 15, 2013
Buffalo NY
Ok so I have been vaping my new flavor for a while and had a few Brandys and wanted to take a minute to reflect on this a little bit. First off, I have been making my own juice for a few weeks now trouble free, I had obviously seen the recommended safety needs, but being the pollock I am I ignored them. Once the accident happen I freaked out, washing it off, followed by Googling things like "100mg nicotine on hand" I surfed for about ten minutes without really finding squat, before deciding to start this thread and taking a shower. After the members here eased my concerns I continued to Google and search for situations where people had done what I had and similar threads.

I have now been on this crusade for over an hour and still fail to find any real threads on this topic, So I hope that people who Google these terms in the future find this thread and are able to avoid a similar panic attack as mine. The Best thread I came across was one that stated ZERO death related incidents from 100mg nicotine.

At the end of the day the safety warnings abound and should be followed. Thank you ECF and have a good night!

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I wont even handle pure until ive got a lot of DIY time under my belt with 48mg. It appears to me i can make a nice variety with that with much less risk or accident exposure.

I hope you are ok. You should be since it was removed quickly.

100 mg nic is not pure its only 10% nic diluted with either pg or vg

drtwain5

Nov 2, 2013
TX
Nicotine absorbs quite well via oral and respiratory mucosa, but not through skin in the absence of specialized delivery devices, e.g., skin patches. In any event, rinse hand thoroughly with running water for several min, then wash with a mild soap. Rinse sink thoroughly as well and dry with disposable paper towel. It is unlikely you will experience any adverse events from this, acute or otherwise.

cyberjunkiefr

Aug 14, 2013
France
That's not really truth, nicotine as liquid does penetrate de skin.
De LD50 oral or LD50 dermal is both the same: 50MG/KG.
LD50 means: death of 50% of the test subjects (rats or mice or rabbits)
I'm weighing 80 KG so to kill me would take 4000mg of nicotine.
With a 100mg/ml nicotine base that's 40ml of base liquid completly absorded by the skin.
If you take that one drop is 0.05ml than a couple of drops would not kill you even if you don't wash of.
Now is it dangerous to work with 100mg/ml: YES IT IS.
LD50 means that 50% of the subjects dieded at 50mg/kg, but it also means that some of the subjects dieded at lower levels.
The biggest danger of nicotine solutions is children or pets comming in contact with it.

Are latex gloves a good protection for nicotine?
Yes thats the minimum of protection working with any level of nicotine during a small amount of time.
LATEX GLOVES ARE NOT IMPERMEABLE FOR NICOTINE.
So if you working a long time with high level nicotine (over 48mg/ml) buy yourself some butyl chemical gloves it's to cheap to take a risk.
When I'm making a diy from 100mg/ml, I start with flavor+pg+vg without nicotine then I manipulate the high level nicotine base. After that I wash my hands with the gloves still on and only then remove them. That way nicotine just doen't have a chance getting on to my skin. Of course I wash my hands with soap after removing the gloves.

I've copied the infomation about personal protection from this site: GESTIS Substance database

PERSONAL PROTECTION
Body protection:

Depending on the risk, wear a tight, long apron and boots or suitable chemical protection clothing.
Respiratory protection:
In an emergency (e.g.: unintentional release of the substance, exceeding the occupational exposure limit value) respiratory protection must be worn. Consider the maximum period for wear.
Respiratory protection: Gas filter A, Colour code brown.
Perhaps also necessary for improved protection:
Respiratory protection: Combination filter A - P2 or A - P3, recommended A - P3, colour code: brown-white.
Use insulating device for concentrations above the usage limits for filter devices, for oxygen concentrations below 17% volume, or in circumstances which are unclear.
Eye protection:
Sufficient eye protection should be worn.
Wear glasses with side protection.
Hand protection:
Use protective gloves. The glove material must be sufficiently impermeable and resistant to the substance. Check the tightness before wear. Gloves should be well cleaned before being removed, then stored in a well ventilated location. Pay attention to skin care.
Skin protection cremes do not protect sufficiently against the substance.
Textile or leather gloves are completely unsuitable.
The following materials are suitable for protective gloves (Permeation time >= 8 hours):
Butyl rubber - Butyl (0,5 mm)
Fluoro carbon rubber - FKM (0,4 mm)
Following materials are unsuitable for protective gloves because of degradation, severe swelling or low permeation time:
Natural rubber/Natural latex - NR
Polychloroprene - CR
Nitrile rubber/Nitrile latex - NBR
Polyvinyl chloride - PVC

The times listed are suggested by measurements taken at 22 °C and constant contact. Temperatures raised by warmed substances, body heat, etc. and a weakening of the effective layer thickness caused by expansion can lead to a significantly shorter breakthrough time. In case of doubt contact the gloves' manufacturer. A 1.5-times increase / decrease in the layer thickness doubles / halves the breakthrough time. This data only applies to the pure substance. Transferred to mixtures of substances, these figures should only be taken as an aid to orientation.

JustMe2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2013
Southern Arizona
I washed it off right away but am scared ....less! Am I in trouble? Should I go to the ER? Please respond with your experiences and fast!

I know you already got your answer but I'm curious how you ended up spilling it. Were you transferring it to another container? Glad your ok though..

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Even 100mg/ml nicotine base is only a 10% solution is suspension. If washed off immediately, you may have had zero absorption, particularly if in VG base. The skin will absorb nicotine, but in suspension, very slowly. Remember that your 90% solution of PG/VG acts as a barrier for nicotine, preventing it from be absorbed by the skin. I wouldn't bathe in the stuff, but you would probably survive a quick full-body dunk just fine. Just wash it off immediately with soap and water. That's it. You need gloves and eye protection by the way. Did you experience any burning at all? I would be surprised if you did. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

cyberjunkiefr

Aug 14, 2013
France
By the way I've talked about being killed by nicotine, wich is of course pretty damned a waste.
But before you die you can get ill at far lower levels from nicotine poisoning wich is not really nice.
A couple of drops of 100mg/ml might give some people hartbeathings or vomiting.
So do use protection!!!
I use gloves even when cleaning and handling my atty's with only 6mg/ml.
It's just common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread