Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
@AliB62 , just know that many of us on here are supporting you in this journey. The caramel with tobacco sounds like RY4 (flavor name), though the shop may have their own name for it Can't give any advice on the setup (like it's proper power settings) until we know what you bought. Illness and trying to get off cigs at the same time is quite a load. You'll get there. Just post and ask any questions you might have, there are many on here willing and able to help.

Reactions: Kaezziel

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
She is really fed up with him and everyone in the family feels he is not trying hard enough to get better. I don't know, maybe he really can't do more than he is. Or maybe I'm too soft.

Just because he still wants to smoke? :facepalm: Ever been without air? Where you would literally DO ANYTHING just to get a breath? That's what it feels like to need a smoke. If you are a smoker with lung problems, it's exactly like being between a rock and a hard place -- if you don't smoke, you have that feeling, and then if you do smoke, you REALLY have that feeling because you really do need air!

And didn't you say he's 80? A) people that age can't just "get well" on command, or because they "try hard"; and b) he's probably been smoking for 50+ yrs... it's not going to go away just because he or your family tells it to or thinks it ought to, or that he ought to "try harder." :facepalm:

If not for e-cigs, I wouldn't say he has much chance of ever getting free of smoking, at this point. But with them... he just might -- like so many of us here. But it's not a magic wand; it still takes effort, and there still *may* be some withdrawal symptoms -- e-cigs just make the process a lot easier to bear.

Andria

Reactions: Kaezziel

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Hi well I bought a nice set from the Vaporocity shop in Davenport, and I met the owner, who now has 4 shops in the area- I felt like here was someone who understood my problems! He will do home visits and he goes to nursing homes every Tuesday. He recommended a juice for a start which is sort of caramel with just a little tobacco.

Unfortunately things got really hectic then, and to cut a long story short dad is back in hospital for 24 hours.

He had one draw on it and liked the flavour he could taste but there was no cloud and it wasn't coming out. Then other things interrupted. I finally figured out by trying myself and watching YouTube that you have to press a button when you suck! Duh. Lots of coughing announced my success! I never smoked not even one puff, so that was a first and a last. Lol. I understood all the more complicated stuff the guy showed me but missed that detail.

I plan to bring him home later today and hand him the vape in the car with the oxygen off because he doesn't expect to smoke in the car, it's a short journey. Then he will be desperate for a cigarette.

Sorry I haven't got all the details of what thenequipment is, I will go look later but don't want to disturb my mom by moving around the house, she is worn out and not well herself. She is really fed up with him and everyone in the family feels he is not trying hard enough to get better. I don't know, maybe he really can't do more than he is. Or maybe I'm too soft.

I agree with Sir2fyablyNutz, that sounds like the RY4 flavors that I was describing earlier. That flavor really did work for me in the beginning, and now that you've figured out why he wasn't getting any actual vapor out of it, I expect that he'll actually quite enjoy it. We're definitely rooting for y'all on our ends! And it's absolutely awesome that you found such a great guy at the vape shop. He does home visits and goes to nursing homes?!? That is the kind of service that you can brag about! I'm honestly blown away by that...

Let us know how it goes. I know that I'm hoping for good news and keeping my fingers crossed. As for everyone feeling that he isn't trying hard enough and you thinking that maybe you're too 'soft'... just brush it off. My wife has been having some pretty big medical issues of her own for the last year or two and her recovery is still ongoing. Everyone heals at their own pace, and you just can't force it... no matter how badly you'd like to. Really, all you can do is to support him, help him with whatever needs he may have, and most importantly... love him. Things will get better...

AliB62

Aug 2, 2015
Aww you are great on this forum!

I let him have a real cig as soon as we got in the house drive sitting in the car (many years since that happened) then we made the expedition up Mount Everest (two steps) and into the house. He's settled now in his chair and mom is resting too-phew. He is going to tell me when he wakes up so I can stop the oxygen and he can try his vape, then I expect he'll want to go outside for his next real cig (has smoked outside unless too much snow for decades- snow means he goes in the garage but he can't get there now.

Yes it is RY4. It tastes very nice!

I felt like the guy in the shop was the first person who actually understood immediately and fully what I am trying to achieve. Vaporocity-superb!

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
LOL... that's how I started, too. Snitchin' smokes from my dad and grandpa... and grandpa smoked Pall Mall... unfiltered... man, those were harsh! :lol:

Happy to hear that everyone is settled in and that he's back home and resting. I do think that he will enjoy the RY4 juice. That was all that I would vape for the first 2-3 years that I started vaping, because the thought of "smoking a strawberry milkshake" just seemed too weird to me... now? My favorite flavor is a peaches-and-cream flavor that I just can't seem to put down! LOL

You'll have to chime in tonight or tomorrow and let us know how he likes his new vape! I'm probably as excited about it as you are! I know what you are trying to accomplish, and at least your dad is keen on the idea. I tried to get my dad on the vape-train, and he tried... but he just won't stick with it. It's very frustrating when all you want to do is help them. But, try as we might, sometimes we just can't force them to make a healthier choice...

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
seems most are suggesting 12 -18 nic.... I on the other hand would suggest starting with 36nic ( and get a bottle of 0 nic same flavor) and give it a shot at 36, if that is too strong, mix some 0 nic into the 36 nic bottle at 60/40 ( 36nic/0nic) to create a 24 nic juice... if thats too strong do a 50/50 of the 36/0 nic juices for an 18 nic... this way you buy 2 strengths and have to capacity to make several different strengths....

Reactions: Atchafalaya

AliB62

Aug 2, 2015
Thank you all for the wonderful advice.

He's been using his vape for about 3 days. Day. 1 I had to remind him each time . Day 2 I went out and mom said he picked it up and used it without reminding. I'm still encouraging him to use it more and take as many puffs as he does for a real cig etc. day 3 it was raining hard and he didn't smoke a real cig the second he got up at 6 am, just used the vape until 10.30 am- big big deal! He had 11 cigs all day (usually 16-18) plus is leaving more, not smoking right down to the end. This is very unprecedented.

I very also warned him he may feel worse at some stage if more stuff starts loosening up etc and sent him all the symptoms in a email for future reference. His sister and brother in law came around today and brought beer and pizza and he ate some cheese off the pizza (this is on top of other food and an improvement in appetite). His nurse said he could have beer so he had half a bottle, againan improvement in fluid intake. And commented many times how much he enjoyed the visit. So I think we are maybe turning a corner?!? Fingers crossed.

Good luck to anyone trying to give up- if a sick 80 year old with NO INTENTION AT ALL can cut down his smoking this way, this should encourage others.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thank you all for the wonderful advice.

He's been using his vape for about 3 days. Day. 1 I had to remind him each time . Day 2 I went out and mom said he picked it up and used it without reminding. I'm still encouraging him to use it more and take as many puffs as he does for a real cig etc. day 3 it was raining hard and he didn't smoke a real cig the second he got up at 6 am, just used the vape until 10.30 am- big big deal! He had 11 cigs all day (usually 16-18) plus is leaving more, not smoking right down to the end. This is very unprecedented.

I very also warned him he may feel worse at some stage if more stuff starts loosening up etc and sent him all the symptoms in a email for future reference. His sister and brother in law came around today and brought beer and pizza and he ate some cheese off the pizza (this is on top of other food and an improvement in appetite). His nurse said he could have beer so he had half a bottle, againan improvement in fluid intake. And commented many times how much he enjoyed the visit. So I think we are maybe turning a corner?!? Fingers crossed.

Good luck to anyone trying to give up- if a sick 80 year old with NO INTENTION AT ALL can cut down his smoking this way, this should encourage others.

He's definitely heading in the right direction; I also saw an immediate lessening in my smoking, though I wasn't even really trying to quit. The longer he keeps doing it, the better he'll like it in comparison with cigarettes, and the worse those will taste, until it becomes FAR preferable to vape than to smoke. Happens over and over around here. :D The main thing is, just keep vaping; at some point, the smoking kinda takes care of itself. :thumb: (it doesn't get any better tasting, but the more accustomed we get to vapor, the better IT tastes!)

That's great about his appetite; the less he smokes, the better food will taste and smell, too. :thumb:

Andria

Siouxinpa

Jun 8, 2015
Central PA
@AliB62 Congratulations on getting a cantankerous combat vet to start vaping. Not that long ago, I was him and I know how stubborn I was. Now I am going on 4 years cigarette free and have turned into a vaping evangelist, helping other vets quit for good using vapes.

I have a couple of suggestions to help if/when his current liquid stops satisfying him.

First RY4 is a decent tobacco flavor but doesn't taste like a cigarette does. The closest liquid I've found to the cig taste is made by Black Note, their Prelude and Legato seem to satisfy most cig brands. This is an expensive eliquid around $1 per ml, but how much is his life worth?

That goes to my second suggestion. No matter how many times you use the how much is your life worth, sooner or later people will not want to pay it. At that point I recommend that they transition away from tobacco flavors.

The most common excuse they will give not to change is, they like the taste of tobacco. At that point I act surprised, and offer to make them a tobacco cake or tobacco ice cream since they like it so much. Then I ask them how many tobacco flavored foods/drinks they've ever heard of. I know the answer is going to be none. Smoking tobacco has been around for hundreds of years and somehow it's never been used as a flavoring in cooking. Why? Because NO ONE likes the taste of tobacco, they only like what tobacco does to them and that memory is what they crave not the taste.

At that point I've never had a problem getting someone to try new flavors. Once they find a flavor or two that they really enjoy suddenly the occasional cig tastes awful and the process of quitting begins even if they don't intend to quit.

Hope these make sense and will give you some help.

ccicecold83

Aug 10, 2015
Istick 30-40 or 50w is a good choice.

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking although I wanna get her the 50 watt I've heard a lot of bad things about em but at least she would have the power if she wanted to use it later on but I don't want a crappy device and then messes up on her and she's like F this back to the stinkies lol I'm looking around for her though she works a lot so I wanna make it as easy as possible

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Yea that's exactly what I was thinking although I wanna get her the 50 watt I've heard a lot of bad things about em but at least she would have the power if she wanted to use it later on but I don't want a crappy device and then messes up on her and she's like F this back to the stinkies lol I'm looking around for her though she works a lot so I wanna make it as easy as possible

The iStick 30w is a much better choice than the 50w; very few problems have turned up with the iStick30's; they're small, lightweight, and trust me, 30 watts is a LOT of power. I have two of them, which I've been using since about March, and both work flawlessly and dependably -- and they only cost about $30. The 50w's have had nothing BUT problems, and though their mfr says the problems are "fixed", that doesn't help all those still out in vendor's stock. The 20's won't step down from 4.2v (a freshly charged battery), so they provide a pretty intense vape for someone just starting out -- it would be hot and harsh, and she probably wouldn't like it. With the 30w's, you can set it as low as 5w, which is a good bit lower than what most atomizers need, just to vaporize eliquid.

Andria

AliB62

Aug 2, 2015
Hi just wanted to check in, it is a struggle to keep up with all the medical issues as well (something new daily !) as the new toys! I got him a lanyard as it's hard to keep the cape handy with his walker and his O2 line and a bottle of stronger RY4, and have ordered a halo set as he is still liking his back, however those arguments about the taste are too true and I will add them into the discussion.

Did the first refill today so I told him he need to use it more so we can practice changing the coil, I leave in a week and moms eyesight and confidence with gadgets is low. He is fine to do it himself.

I will hold off on new equipment for the moment, he was horrified when I said the kanga one I got was $40- but dad, how much is a carton, which is gone in a week? $50. So he's ok with it now! Lol.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I would be prepared with options. A few tanks that are always filled. Nic content of BOTH 6 and 12mg. Label them so he can decide.

As to flavors, if he seems positive in attitude, I would get 6-7 tanks with different flavors so he can choose. Just label the nic content. And, also label the flavor.

As an old guy, if someone is directing me, I lose interest fast. Spend the extra money so he has options. Make labels to help.

Then let him go.

(just me)

Reactions: MikeyConti

Marcello Fialho

Aug 15, 2015
In theory, the best way to convert a smoker is to give him an NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco) juice, because they are the closest thing to smoking that exists. In practice, it may back fire, because NETs destroy coils really fast. With a cheap mod (battery) such as an EVOD VV, your coils (may) last two days. With an IStick, which is much more powerful, they will last minutes.
You could actually try it yourself, prior to giving it to your father, because they make NETs without nicotine. There is a starter NET called VItabella, it is cheap and wonderful. Try that and compare to other e-juices, There is a good chance you will start vaping yourself after experiencing an NET. I am in no way associated with the suppiers, I don't even vape Vitabella anymore, because I got into DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread