Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
From: URGENT: US Senate May Consider Ban of E-cigs in Carry On Bags - SFATA | Smoke Free Alternatives Trade Association

"Next week the Senate is scheduled to debate the FAA reauthorization on the Senate Floor. Senator Blumenthal (D-CT) has proposed an amendment (SA 3547) that will expand the list of hazardous products to vapor devices and prohibit them from being carried on ALL flights.

"Please OPPOSE SA 3547 which will simply make it more difficult for the millions of Americans to successfully continue their efforts to break away from cigarettes."

S.Amdt.3547 to S.Amdt.3464 to H.R.636 - 114th Congress (2015-2016) - Amendment Text[%22\%22sa3547\%22%22]}&resultIndex=1

Proposed amendment to the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act of 2016:

SA 3547. Mr. BLUMENTHAL submitted an amendment intended to be
proposed to amendment SA 3464 submitted by Mr. Thune (for himself and
Mr. Nelson) to the bill H.R. 636, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of
1986 to permanently extend increased expensing limitations, and for
other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

At the end of title V, add the following:

SEC. 5032. REGULATIONS RELATING TO E-CIGARETTES.

(a) In General.--Not later than 180 days after the date of
the enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Pipeline
and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration shall, in
coordination and consultation with the Administrator of the
Federal Aviation Administration--
(1) finalize the interim final rule of the Pipeline and
Hazardous Materials Safety Administration issued October 30,
2015, pertaining to e-cigarettes; and
(2) expand that rule to prohibit the carrying of battery-
powered portable electronic smoking devices in checked
baggage and in carry-on baggage.

(b) Definition.--In this section, the term ``battery-
powered portable electronic smoking devices'' means e-
cigarettes, e-cigs, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, personal
vaporizers, and electronic nicotine delivery systems.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
From: URGENT: US Senate May Consider Ban of E-cigs in Carry On Bags - SFATA | Smoke Free Alternatives Trade Association

"Next week the Senate is scheduled to debate the FAA reauthorization on the Senate Floor. Senator Blumenthal (D-CT) has proposed an amendment (SA 3547) that will expand the list of hazardous products to vapor devices and prohibit them from being carried on ALL flights.

"Please OPPOSE SA 3547 which will simply make it more difficult for the millions of Americans to successfully continue their efforts to break away from cigarettes."

S.Amdt.3547 to S.Amdt.3464 to H.R.636 - 114th Congress (2015-2016) - Amendment Text[%22\%22sa3547\%22%22]}&resultIndex=1

Proposed amendment to the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act of 2016:

SA 3547. Mr. BLUMENTHAL submitted an amendment intended to be
proposed to amendment SA 3464 submitted by Mr. Thune (for himself and
Mr. Nelson) to the bill H.R. 636, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of
1986 to permanently extend increased expensing limitations, and for
other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

At the end of title V, add the following:

SEC. 5032. REGULATIONS RELATING TO E-CIGARETTES.

(a) In General.--Not later than 180 days after the date of
the enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Pipeline
and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration shall, in
coordination and consultation with the Administrator of the
Federal Aviation Administration--
(1) finalize the interim final rule of the Pipeline and
Hazardous Materials Safety Administration issued October 30,
2015, pertaining to e-cigarettes; and
(2) expand that rule to prohibit the carrying of battery-
powered portable electronic smoking devices in checked
baggage and in carry-on baggage.

(b) Definition.--In this section, the term ``battery-
powered portable electronic smoking devices'' means e-
cigarettes, e-cigs, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, personal
vaporizers, and electronic nicotine delivery systems.
This is is poorly thought through. What If I'm carrying batteries but no device? What if I'm carrying devices but no batteries? What if I'm carrying a flashlinght with an 18650 and a mod with no batteries?

Or how about I carry a mod and atomizer but no battery and buy a battery at my destination. Then before I depart for home I mail the battery to myself, and it ends up going air mail in the baggage compartment of a passenger flight? If they want to ban 18650's then they would have to ban laptops. If they want to ban Li batteries they have to ban cell phones.

The last time I flew was Christmas. Before boarding I removed the atomizer and 5 clicked the mod. I suppose I could have removed the battery to a silicone sleeve but decided that would be overkill. I wish there were more details about the couple of aircraft situations that have happened so far. I'm tempted to believe they involved mechs.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
First, let me just say that this is the line in the sand as far as I'm concerned.
This is the biggest wake up call so far.

Next time I go on vacation I'm supposed to leave my gear at home?
And what, buy a Vuse when I arrive at my destination?
Find a vape shop?

This is so freaking absurd, disturbing, and disgusting.

The link above has recommended language for an email or phone call.
And it has a link to find your Senator's contact information.

I would think CASAA will be coming out with a similar Call To Action on this one.

I don't even know if I feel like an American anymore.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Somewhere in each of us may have been a tiny lingering doubt, that this was not really a "war on vaping", but only the misguided efforts of zealots clinging to one of the last acceptable prejudices condoned by an overly sensitive, politically correct society ...

A ban on transporting vape gear, while carrying cigarettes is permissible in the passenger cabin, would certainly remove any trace of doubt about the true motivation ...

Wish I could say that I will boycott the airlines, but I started doing that over 20 years ago ... :(

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Within the next couple of month the UK will have a referendum on whether to leave the EU. Predictions are it will be a close vote. There are apparently 2.6 million vapers. They may vote to get out of the EU to avoid the severe restrictions on vaping. That could turn the election.

I'm a single issue voter. I've read there are 10 million vapers in the US.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Also, stop voting Democrat!

And watch the Republicans hand vaping to their "campaign contributiors" in big tobacco? No thanks.

Let me make two different suggestions...

1) EDUCATE YOUR LAWMAKERS.
Write letters/emails, make phone calls, better yet, contact them in person. Bring a mod, (or a box full) and put on a demonstration. Tell your story. Give them a list of links to honest research...
Maybe you won't change their minds, but they'll know that vapers vote too, and THAT will help.

2) VOTE FOR THE PERSON NOT THE PARTY.
Democrats and Republicans both have what they think are justified reasons to ban/restrict/overtax vaping
On the Left, it's usually "Public Health"
On the Right, they call it a "Moral Crusade"
Follow the money (Cigarette taxes, and MSA $$$ to fund projects, campaign donations from various industries...) on BOTH sides to see who's greasing who.
RESEARCH your candidates. Look at their voting records, and their major campaign donors. Talk to them in person, if you can. Make politics a contact sport. You're electing someone who is supposed to represent YOUR interests in the governing process. Try to make sure that the people you vote for actually do that.
If we allow vaping to turn in to just another partisan issue, we divide ourselves, we allow ourselves to be marginalized, and ignored by our enemies, and allies alike, and we'll have already LOST the fight

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Sen Blumenthal has considerable history opposing vaping products. I doubt he realises or cares that this action will protect the tobacco industry he claims to hate so.

In terms of whether this action is necessary... There clearly is a problem with uneducated users having 18650s in their pockets and these going thermal. I've counted 6 such incidents this year, and wouldn't like to see it happen on a plane.

However, surely the answer is simple: batteries must be put in protective cases!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah, that one would cause some trouble. I fly like every friggin week lately.
I suppose I would have to get crafty - but I think I could get around it.
My batteries would get transported in something LESS SAFE than the battery case I currently use - probably flashlights.
And my mod...well it pretty much looks more like a detonator than a cigarette already, so it wouldn't necessarily be identified as an e-cig.

Yes, officer, I always travel with several flashlights, and this? This is an aluminum box. Any regulations against an aluminum box?

I haven't thought of a great way to disguise an atty. Though they might fit well in those little film canisters, and I actually HAVE a lead-lined bag to protect film from airport scans somewhere... Remember film? lol

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
And watch the Republicans hand vaping to their "campaign contributiors" in big tobacco? No thanks.
H.R.2058, the bill to exempt vaping products from FDA regulation providing they were in existence before the effective date of the deeming regulation, was proposed by a Republican congressman and has 51 co-sponsors, all of whom are Republicans. LINK

If 2058 isn't passed into law, the only players in the market who can likely afford to seek approval will be BT and possibly NJoy. This leads me to believe that the Republicans are not in the pocket of BT. But feel free to draw your own conclusions.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Well, 51 of them aren't. But 51 congressmen does not "the Republicans" make. ;)
Excellent point. Where do the Dems stand on this issue? Or I should ask where do any Dems stand? Can you name the Dems in either house who have taken a stance favorable to vaping?

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
This is is poorly thought through. What If I'm carrying batteries but no device? What if I'm carrying devices but no batteries? What if I'm carrying a flashlinght with an 18650 and a mod with no batteries?

Or how about I carry a mod and atomizer but no battery and buy a battery at my destination. Then before I depart for home I mail the battery to myself, and it ends up going air mail in the baggage compartment of a passenger flight? If they want to ban 18650's then they would have to ban laptops. If they want to ban Li batteries they have to ban cell phones.

The last time I flew was Christmas. Before boarding I removed the atomizer and 5 clicked the mod. I suppose I could have removed the battery to a silicone sleeve but decided that would be overkill. I wish there were more details about the couple of aircraft situations that have happened so far. I'm tempted to believe they involved mechs.

That is exactly what I said in my email when I filled out the CASAA form. I told them that LION batteries aren't prohibited, otherwise cellphones, laptops, gameboys etc. would be banned, so if they must make it difficult for vapers, they could require that we take the batteries out of our devices and put the batteries into a battery case, then all we would have to do was show our empty devices to them. What could be simpler? Devices without batteries in them can't explode, so there is n reason to ban them.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
That is exactly what I said in my email when I filled out the CASAA form. I told them that LION batteries aren't prohibited, otherwise cellphones, laptops, gameboys etc. would be banned, so if they must make it difficult for vapers, they could require that we take the batteries out of our devices and put the batteries into a battery case, then all we would have to do was show our empty devices to them. What could be simpler? Devices without batteries in them can't explode, so there is n reason to ban them.
Wished I had thought of that before I put my :2c: in! Good job!

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Let me make two different suggestions...

1) EDUCATE YOUR LAWMAKERS.
Write letters/emails, make phone calls, better yet, contact them in person. Bring a mod, (or a box full) and put on a demonstration. Tell your story. Give them a list of links to honest research...
Maybe you won't change their minds, but they'll know that vapers vote too, and THAT will help.

[\QUOTE]

Yep, that's exactly what I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread