Propylene Glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Being a total newbie, I have to ask, is the propylene glycol suspension just for show? Could something else be used that would not offer a visible vapor, while at the same time not effecting the throat hit - which from my basic understanding comes from other compounds (i.e nicotine +?)

Could the nicotine be suspended in something that was not visible, safe and totally stealth?

I love blowing vapor, but this is something that has been bothering me. Why can't I atomize nicotine and not blow out a cloud and still get the nicotine and throat hit I want?

If this was possible, it would solve a lot of analog v. e-cig misunderstandings.

Please forgive my ignorance. I am just trying to understand.

Last edited:

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
The cloud increases if you have glycerin (vegetable glycerin/VG) in your liquid. That produces more vapor than PG does.

The basic principal of vaping is that you vaporize the liquid and inhale that. Most liquids will produce some visible vapor. Some will vaporize at too high a temperature (don't start inhaling steam from your tea kettle just yet). Nevertheless, I'm sure there are liquids that produce less vapor that would work but, as most people want vapor, no one is looking into them.

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Nevertheless, I'm sure there are liquids that produce less vapor that would work but, as most people want vapor, no one is looking into them.

Are they looking for more vapor because of the visual effect, or is there a physical effect that comes visual vapor?

I guess what I am saying is, if I could get the nicotine and throat hit that I want and not blow out a huge decipherable cloud of vapor, it would be more acceptable in many places.

I guess what I am asking is, because PG and VG are used to make smoke clouds, is that all they are offering in the process?

If I closed my eyes and took a drag off of another suspension that did not offer said cloud, would if feel the same? If it did, it would be a boon.

The first e-cigs looked like cigarettes. Now that doesn't seem to be the case. I am guessing the next step would be to make electronic nicotine replacement devices that did not offer perceivable "smoke."

I know there is nothing wrong with the vapor. It is a societal thing and I think some entrepreneurial people should offer an e-juice that does not create perceivable vapor.

Perfect for that 2 hour delay in customs...

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
do a search for "stealth" in the forum's search tool -- there are several threads on the topic.

Good luck!

Thanks. I actually know a chemist, although it will be a challenge to get her to delve into this realm. That said, I am going to broach the issue as I think it would be a desired product, at least for me and with all the DIY stuff available out there, really you just need to find the right suspension.

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
If I don't want to blow out vapor, I just hold it in my lungs for 5 to 10 seconds. With practice, you can even talk somewhat normally while holding it. When you exhale... nothin'. :)

No, I understand that, but why not have an e-liquid that is fundamentally, stealth? It can't be that hard and would not effect the intake properties, from what I can tell.

Why not move further away from the analog? No obvious vapor, same hit, same result.

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Well, as others have said, there just isn't much demand for it. That really determines what makes it to market.

People use e-cigs largely as a replacement for analogs. But I suppose that moving on to big-battery mods is a pretty big step away from analogs. But most people start with something vaguely cig-shaped, and gradually move on as they break the habitual addiction of holding a cig like a cig.

I suppose using vapor-free juice might be another way to move away from analogs as you break the habit. But for a lot of people, that visible exhale runs deeper than the silhouette of a cigarette.

If you wanna do it, you totally should. And I think there could even be a niche market for it, especially for vaping in public. It's just not a big enough market that anyone's thought to do it before.

But hey, be the first!

No, I understand that, but why not have an e-liquid that is fundamentally, stealth? It can't be that hard and would not effect the intake properties, from what I can tell.

Why not move further away from the analog? No vapor, same hit, same result.

papa_cadillac

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2010
cottageville, SC
I actually like the vapor, and it's actually a part of the whole "hand to mouth" habit of smoking analogs which cultivate the vapor(or smoke). I think there are some who worry about the vapor offending others, but I could care less...too "PC".
Anyway, I'm sure someone will come along and offer a vaporless ejuice soon enough.
Also, I found it to help with the transition from analogs to this new set of habits almost seamless. Without the vapor, the similarities to analogs takes a decidedly different turn and may make it a little more difficult to kick the cigs to the curb.

Last edited:

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
I personally am not in situations where I really worry about it, but I was just wondering if anyone had come up with such a juice and it sounds like the answer is not yet.

I'll get to work on it.

As for vapor, I like blowing vapor as it reminds me of smoking, but I just have a feeling that the screws are going to start tightening soon (in workplaces, airports, etc) because of rampant misinformation and feel that there should be a "stealth" backup plan in place.

If I could sit in an airport bar and not blow any discernible vapor, I wouldn't even have to think about it.

As it currently stands, I have to be in educator mode and at the same time feel as though I'm always being watched (cigarette smokers guilt.)

Thanks for all the information.

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Also, I found it to help with the transition from analogs to this new set of habits almost seamless. Without the vapor, the similarities to analogs takes a decidedly different turn and may make it a little more difficult to kick the cigs to the curb.

I agree. At the same time I feel that after 12 days I am ready to move past vapor. Heck, I am already bothered by the tobacco flavored juices, heh.

(Although I do need them with beer.)

The vapor would be there, and you would feel it leaving your lungs - you just wouldn't see it.

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
jmho,

Seeing the "cloud" is part of the visual confirmation that you are vaping. Is part of a psychological factor reaffirming and "reassuring" the user that they are performing the task desired.
Not to saying anything wrong or right with it. We are all different and our needs and desires or diverse.
I say delve into it, you may hit upon somethign that takes off. this is how discoveries and innovations are accomplished.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Heck, I am already bothered by the tobacco flavored juices, heh.

(Although I do need them with beer.)

Dude!! I thought I was the only one.

I bought 20ml of Lucky Strike juice (my old brand) and loved it for the first week. But the more time is passing... the more I just don't care for it anymore. Why would I want tobacco flavor when I could have waffle or watermelon?

I still get my Lucky Strike on when I'm drinking though - especially if I've had a couple already.

Just don't understand how people can vape for months or even years and still like tobacco flavors the best when there's so much out there. Maybe just me...

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Dude!! I thought I was the only one.

I bought 20ml of Lucky Strike juice (my old brand) and loved it for the first week. But the more time is passing... the more I just don't care for it anymore. Why would I want tobacco flavor when I could have waffle or watermelon?

Same here. I have some 24mg standard tobacco flavored juice and that is what I drip when I need POWER - but after a little over a week, I am already into chocolate and coffee and strawberry and whatever. Now I can actually taste things and I am sure it will only improve over time. This is why I will not save a dime in the short run with e-cigs (because I want more, MORE!) although I feel better and that is what counts. I didn't move to PV's for the money. It was for my well being.

all we like to see the cloud and such aside I recall seeing one or 2 companies offering a stealth juice...I believe it was a UK company (and not TW)

I'll see if I can find them. I'd love to have a bottle or two of that on hand for those tricky situations. I'd also like to know what they are using for the blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread