Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I haven't had the chance to read this whole thread yet......
Has anyone had a problem with some button top batteries not working with a 2.5 provari?
I have 4 of the same battery and only one of them will work, they are all 3400 mah Samsung batteries.
Are they Button Top Batteries?

How old is your Provi?

Has it ever been dropped?

Thanks, Jim

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
Are they Button Top Batteries?

How old is your Provi?

Has it ever been dropped?

Thanks, Jim
Yep, button tops

Umm 3 years old.

Dropped at low height and no damage noticed physically or mechanically, it works like it is brand new, whole reason i only buy, use provape devices, wife uses itaste an such cause she isn't completely vaping and that will change this year

Reactions: AstroTurf

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Yep, button tops

Umm 3 years old.

Dropped at low height and no damage noticed physically or mechanically, it works like it is brand new, whole reason i only buy, use provape devices, wife uses itaste an such cause she isn't completely vaping and that will change this year
If the glue securing the board has broken loose the board may shift forward towards the top cap thus increasing the distance in the battery well.

A careful exam of this will reveal whether or not this is your problem. I would also measure the batteries height.

Jim

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
If the glue securing the board has broken loose the board may shift forward towards the top cap thus increasing the distance in the battery well.

A careful exam of this will reveal whether or not this is your problem. I would also measure the batteries height.

Jim
I'll have to take a look when i get home, only thing i can think of is that the AW battery i got from provape 3 years ago has a smaller button top, the ones i have now the button top is wider and the provari battery contact is indented into the circuit board and it maybe to narrow for this button top

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I'll have to take a look when i get home, only thing i can think of is that the AW battery i got from provape 3 years ago has a smaller button top, the ones i have now the button top is wider and the provari battery contact is indented into the circuit board and it maybe to narrow for this button top
I looked up the description of the battery you gave... I think they might be what is referred to as flat tops.

A pic would help.

Jim

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I just picked up a mini on special and a blem P3 and bought the Provape charger with the USB cord. I need to know what type of wall wart to use for charging. I have quite a few but is there an output amount I should be looking for? Thanks!
I use one from an old iPhone...

Reactions: bnrkwest

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
2 1/2 years old but they worked the first time only, cleaned everything and still nothing, they work in other devices and 1 of them still work in my 2.5

Post a pic of the batts from the top and side. Check the tops for denting. Also using plastic calipers, measure the batts. Some button tops are shorter and don't make good contact.

I know one person had to hav provape adjust the slot on the board

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
I looked up the description of the battery you gave... I think they might be what is referred to as flat tops.

A pic would help.

Jim

Post a pic of the batts from the top and side. Check the tops for denting. Also using plastic calipers, measure the batts. Some button tops are shorter and don't make good contact.

I know one person had to hav provape adjust the slot on the board
I will post pics when i get home

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Well, whatever the case may be, you're going to learn some things. I would like to know what you come up with.

One thing I would like to point out for future reference even though it sounds like it has nothing to do with this particular problem. 2 1/2 years on a battery is pushing it. PBusardo gets rid of his at a year but that's easy for him to say, he probably has them coming out of his :censored:... I kept about four of my original (2012) ones around for home use but finally relented and tossed them at @ 3 1/2 years old.

Michigan rocks. :headbang:

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
I thought most lithium ion batteries were generally good for 300-500 charge cycles, but I have many which are more than double that yet perform almost as well as new. For once we got more than we paid for!
Yeah, you're right. I think that's why 5 of them lasted me almost 4 years but age also plays into it. If you have money to burn and piss on, replacing them after year to make absolutely sure the aspect of battery fatigue is never a factor would be ideal. 300 - 500 charging cycles and/or a year... Know what I mean?

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali

Red is 3 year old AW from provape the green os the 2 1/2 year old Samsung

The top on that Sammy is very different. Judging from the height difference, and top insulator ,those sammys are protected flat top ICR cells and will not work well as the mod can't reliably read the batt. Your mod is fine but the batts are the wrong type.

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
The top on that Sammy is very different. Judging from the height difference, and top insulator ,those sammys are protected flat top ICR cells and will not work well as the mod can't reliably read the batt. Your mod is fine but the batts are the wrong type.
But the 1 that works, works so well and always works so confused lol

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I wouldn't use those Sammies. They're to long.

This is just my advice and opinion. I would use only what ProVape recommends. They put those batteries through extensive testing to come up those recommendations. I'm finding this out the hard way. Back in ROctober, I listened to a couple of peeps on here and bought a couple of AW IMR flat top 18650 3000mAh for my P3 and they :censored:ing suck. Sure, they last a long time on a charge but having little electronic quirks to deal with that don't happen with the Samsung 25R's or the LG HG2
:2c:

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I wouldn't use those Sammies. They're to long.

This is just my advice and opinion. I would use only what ProVape recommends. They put those batteries through extensive testing to come up those recommendations. I'm finding this out the hard way. Back in ROctober, I listened to a couple of peeps on here and bought a couple of AW IMR flat top 18650 3000mAh for my P3 and they :censored:ing suck. Sure, they last a long time on a charge but having little electronic quirks to deal with that don't happen with the Samsung 25R's or the LG HG2
:2c:
I bought them after lots of research and found them to be good, i never do guess work especially when it could blow up in my face literally, i was wrong on them being Samsung though.

Panasonic NCR18650B Super Max 3.7V 3400mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery-Green
*Brand Panasonic
*Color Green + black
*Material Lithium
*Quantity 2
*Type Lithium ion
*Model 18650
*Mark Capacity N/A
*Actual Capacity 3400mAh
*Battery Voltage 3.7 V
*Rechargeable Yes
*Rechargeable Times 1000
*PCB Protected Board No
*Application Flashlights and various household electronic products
*Packing List 2 x Batteries
*Dimensions: 2.56 in x 0.71 in x 0.71 in (6.5 cm x 1.8 cm x 1.8 cm)
*Weight: 3.21 oz (91 g)
This is the best description i could find for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread