Provaping verse Antivaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
does anyone doubt Kurt? he is a friend to vaping and would not lie. His findings have not been
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 19814859" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:

not at all, i am being serious. See why the attitude? tell me what your issues are with me and what i have said in this thread to say i am being sarcastic

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
does anyone doubt Kurt? he is a friend to vaping and would not lie. His findings have not been

not at all, i am being serious. See why the attitude? tell me what your issues are with me and what i have said in this thread to say i am being sarcastic
Actually I am enjoying this thread and I am very much in your support. You are 100% right, but you are afraid (because of peer pressure) openly to state it. So, let my say it: you are 100% right.

Reactions: DeAnna2112

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Actually I am enjoying this thread and I am very much in your support. You are 100% right, but you are afraid (because of peer pressure) openly to state it. So, let my say it: you are 100% right.

I have never given in to peer pressure once my mind is made up, just trying to keep it civil..throw a bone out there for a peace offering per say.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Dr. F or Dr. K is not against vaping people, they are just upfront and honest with their findings....and no one wants to hear that flip side of the coin that vapes. I want a researcher i can respect and is honest with me. I believe in vaping i do, but it still has room to improve and make it more safe. Let's not shot down the messenger, who happens to be on our side.

Reactions: Rossum

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I think you must have misunderstood what I said about anti microbial agents......... I in no way am in disagreement..... I told the story about my wife because of anecdotal evidence that tends to support the thought that the anti microbial properties of PG could very well help ward off colds.....It seems very logical since inhaling lavender fumes has that effect.

OK, I think I did misread you in that case. My apologies for that.

What I am saying though is that every person, (@circa pre vaping period) I have talked to that has ever quit smoking felt much better and it was NOT due to vaping as that would have been impossible since vaping did not exist in that time period.

Sure- and I am old enough, started smoking young enough, regretted it soon enough, and am enough of an incorrigible addict to have quit smoking cold-turkey for significant periods... let's just say more than once. And I agree that I felt better even after just a week of not smoking, every time. After a month or two I felt a lot better. In some ways I felt better than switching to vaping made me feel, as vaping does lead to a bit irritation and some tightness in the chest for me, in a way that neither smoking nor vaping does not. So I agree that it would be a mistake to attribute feeling better after switching to vaping to vaping rather than to attribute it to not smoking, at least without some further evidence.

That's not really what I was getting at though. The reason I was talking about coffee is that two-fold. One, caffeine is a drug that people have had significant health concerns over (that have extended to the medium of delivery, coffee.) And two, coffee itself (though not so much the caffeine as far as I can tell) seems to have turned out to be be really good for you, in ways that you wouldn't be likely to notice. We should be careful about equating correlation with causation, but at this point it's getting pretty hard to ascribe all of its effect to confounding factors.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that using nicotine itself has long-term positive health benefits when compared to not using it, and I think there are at least glimmers of reasons to think that might be true out there. In addition to Alzheimers (and I borked that badly- dunno what I was thinking when I was talking about the specifics that, but I misstated them quite a bit, though no one has called me on it yet,) there are indications that nicotine might actually help with hypertension and some related conditions.

I don't think that these effects would result in an immediately improved sense of well-being though. After all, the hepato-protective effects coffee seems to have are not the sort of thing you would ever notice in a comparative sense. I think the evidence suggests that they are likely responsible for keeping many, many people alive much longer than would have otherwise been the case though.

Of course nicotine relaxes and tends to make people alert in a moderate amount, that's why I vape with nicotine added.

To what degree you consider this a positive health outcome probably depends a lot on our point of view. I think it's worth noting that rates of smoking are very highly correlated with some serious psychiatric conditions. Schizophrenia is a good example. Smoking seems to me to be a very effective form of self-medication for schizophrenics, one that I'm inclined to think would be very much a net positive if it weren't for the fact that smoking is very bad for you. If using nicotine without smoking can provide the same positive effects, without the ill-effects, I'd also be inclined to think it one of the most powerful and least harmful psychiatric drugs in our arsenal.

Even for people without serious diagnosable psychiatric conditions... well, a lot of people, perhaps most people, do benefit psychically from using nicotine. I'd consider increased acuity and alertness, accompanied by greater calmness and a marked decrease in sensations of unease a positive health outcome, and I think a lot of people do get that from nicotine.

We're unlikely to see a lot of studies even investigating this aspect of nicotine use, and I think that a shame.

Reactions: mattiem

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Seriously you expect me to go out and go through a bunch of research articles to show provaping research is just that provaping. I really need to provide you with that data? Have you seen one research article outside of Dr. F and Dr. K that says one negative thing towards vaping. Please you show me. I may have missed those research articles and i am being serious. I want to be proved wrong trust me. Help me regain my trust in provaping research.
I have to wonder where you have been in recent years. How about the numerous studies showing formaldehyde (because of very bad protocols that abused the devises beyond anything in the real world). How about the studies showing a gateway effect where none exist, and the list goes on that shows a negative effect of vaping.

Again you have failed to give even one link to a biased pro-vaping study. At this point I have to believe that you simply do not have anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPLongo22

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Ok. About "pro-vaping" "research".​
There was a thread about some science director (or something as that) of CASAA who stated that vaping is at least 99% safer than smoking, in contrast to British 95%? Do you really believe him?
Those x% stuff is rubbish anyway. Does it mean that instead of 100 dead smokers you get 5 or 1 dead vapers instead? No, it doesnt.
Smoking kills. Vaping doesnt.

If you talk about bias, here is a riddle. I work in a BT-Lab. (Yes, booh!) We dont find s##t in vapor.
Of course, you'll never hear from, nevermind see BT research data in public.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I am hearing you and taking it into consideration. They were not testing what they found therefore not enough data was gathered to make a full conclusion to report it. But for me, they should have reported that as unsubstantiated finding that needs further analysis. I expect to see further studies to follow on the issues found that were not expected in their studies. Heck even if they found positive findings, report it as is...not enough data to substantiate or confirm.

In an indirect way it did. The formaldehyde study was so bad other studies were done like it that used more "real world " settings along with repeating the mistakes to show how they went wrong. That study also added to the 2nd hand vapor toxicity claims which led to the room air studies and also led to the idea to test temp as a factor. That first temp study's total dismissal of using vape gear led to the temp study Evolve commissioned using actual vape gear.

Those room air studies for 2nd hand exposure triggered California's DHS to do their vape shop air sample test which confirmed the lack of 2nd hand toxic exposure.

There is a chain reaction that happens in research and it usually gets triggered during the review process when another researcher notices something of interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Ok. About "pro-vaping" "research".​
There was a thread about some science director (or something as that) of CASAA who stated that vaping is at least 99% safer than smoking, in contrast to British 95%? Do you really believe him?
I believe I explained that earlier in the thread. That was of course Dr. Carl Phillips you are talking about (in case you would want to know, he is no longer a part of CASAA and hasn't been for some time. The article you are referring to was written long after he left CASAA so I have to wonder why you are trying to link it to them).

This is the original article in question

Saying e-cigarettes are “95% less harmful” is a very bad idea (part 143 of 10,000)

It is a good read with some very valid points.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
If you talk about bias, here is a riddle. I work in a BT-Lab. (Yes, booh!) We dont find s##t in vapor.
Of course, you'll never hear from, nevermind see BT research data in public.
I do believe in a vapor there are no such bad things as in smoke. It's different. It's not a rocket science. I do believe putting 30+ ml/day of PG/VG in one's lungs is not healthy, and this thing is much more complicated than rocket science. It was not touched by research yet. All in dosage. Sugar can help brain to work better, can help children to grow healthy. Excess of sugar can ruin not only teeth but health overall. Dosage - that's most important thing.
I do believe that for ex-smokers vaping is much better than smoking, at any dosage.
I do believe that saying that vaping is harmless is at least irresponsible thing, and it's worst it is direct promotion of Big Vape, which needs more and more customers, and today ex-smokers are not its main target.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
To what degree you consider this a positive health outcome probably depends a lot on our point of view. I think it's worth noting that rates of smoking are very highly correlated with some serious psychiatric conditions. Schizophrenia is a good example. Smoking seems to me to be a very effective form of self-medication for schizophrenics, one that I'm inclined to think would be very much a net positive if it weren't for the fact that smoking is very bad for you. If using nicotine without smoking can provide the same positive effects, without the ill-effects, I'd also be inclined to think it one of the most powerful and least harmful psychiatric drugs in our arsenal.

The only way to test the hypothesis to see if smoking schizophrenics did better in illness and/or required less medication than nonsmoking schizophrenics. To my knowledge, no such survey has been done.

In an indirect way it did. The formaldehyde study was so bad other studies were done like it that used more "real world " settings along with repeating the mistakes to show how they went wrong. That study also added to the 2nd hand vapor toxicity claims which led to the room air studies and also led to the idea to test temp as a factor. That first temp study's total dismissal of using vape gear led to the temp study Evolve commissioned using actual vape gear.

To clarify, Evolv presented evidence of what temperatures vapers vape at based on statistics gathered from ECigStats. They then attempted to use the study by Wang of PG/VG related breakdown products under lab conditions showing breakdown products at vape gear independent temperatures. There have been no studies released to date looking at actual tanks and coils to measure both formaldehyde or other breakdown products while actually measuring the temps of the coil in the same tank. The tank col type studies were all conducted in wattage/power mode, so the temps achieved are unknown. That remains to be done to finally put a bow on that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread