markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Power = Voltage x Voltage / Resistance

darwin lets you pick a power, and it adjusts voltage dynamically, to keep power constant whatever the resistance. If your carto/atty resistance changes over time, or if you change to a different one, darwin will continue to drive that many watts.

Vv gives constant voltage. If you go to lower resistance you will get more power at a given voltage, while higher resistance will have lower power at that voltage.

Practically speaking, either gets you to a good end result. With an easily adjustable vv, dialing the "right" voltage is quick, becomes automatic, unconscious.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I have a technical question after reading all of this. It was said that ProVari is VV, while Darwin is variable watts. What's the difference? I know voltage & watts are different, but I see a lot of VV mods out there (not just ProVari), but I hadn't seen variable watts yet. TIA :)
ProVari digitally holds the exact volts you set it for. You set it for 4.6 volts and you get 4.6 volts very consistently.

Darwin is actually considered "Power Regulated". Many call is variable watts but while it does allow you to vary the Watts (setting is in .1 watts increments), Darwin is constantly reading the ohms of your atty/carto (some high number like 500+ times per second) and constantly adjusting the volts and amps to give you consistent watts output. In this case (vaping) watts is expressed as heat output. So, if your atty/carto Ωs drop over time, Darwin automatically adjusts to keep the watts (heat output) the same. On ProVari, or any other VV device, as the Ωs drop, and volts stay the same, the watts (heat output) rises = hotter vapor. Of course you can change the volts manually on ProVari (and other VV devices). some say just adjust up or down to taste and that is true. If you want it accurate, on provari you press the button 13 times to see current Ωs reading and then press 5 or 7 times to get into the change volts (up or down respectively) and adjust.

If you change to a different Ωs atty or carto, Darwin will adjust and keep the same watts/heat output. On VV devices, you have to adjust if you want the same heat output as you had before.

Some people prefer the constant volts and others prefer constant watts/"Power Regulated". Again, just personal preference.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Power = Voltage x Voltage / Resistance

darwin lets you pick a power, and it adjusts voltage dynamically, to keep power constant whatever the resistance. If your carto/atty resistance changes over time, or if you change to a different one, darwin will continue to drive that many watts.

Vv gives constant voltage. If you go to lower resistance you will get more power at a given voltage, while higher resistance will have lower power at that voltage.

Practically speaking, either gets you to a good end result. With an easily adjustable vv, dialing the "right" voltage is quick, becomes automatic, unconscious.
What he said.....There are alot of Variable Voltage devices out there (the Provari being one of them), but (as far as I know) the only Variable Power (wattage) device out there is the Darwin....basically you set the watts on the Darwin and it will automatically adjust the voltage as the resistance of the atty/carto changes....simplified explanation so hope it helps...

XKingXGregX

Moved On
Mar 19, 2011
hartford, ct
how does the provari vape compared to the buzz pro, i have a buzz pro + darwin, darwin vapes better although it can be problematic, i dropped mine and it started having issues, being replaceable is awesome, so its good to have a backup pv if your going to have to send it out for warrenty service, but yes, it is vapes awesome, it makes any atty give a perfect hit every time, battery lasts more than 48 hours with hard use, battery life is NEVER an issue with the darwin, being able to use it as a passthrough is fine so you can atleast use it while its charging...

XKingXGregX

Moved On
Mar 19, 2011
hartford, ct
yes darwin detects the ohms automatically and adjusts itself to a safer voltage/amperage level depending on the resistance....for example...if your using a HV atomizer...when you turn the VV dial it will allow the voltage to go up to like 7volts when its on high, and if you turn it down maybe like 4, if its a LR atomizer it will max out at like say 5 volts on the highest setting....ive had shot atomizers on mine and the darwin was pumping 12v so it will go high as needed....but normally its set to protect the atomizer, so a LR atomizer wont get too many volts even at the higest setting

i wont lie eventually id like to get a provari too though id like to see whats so good about it for myself, im hesitant about having a device that i have to click through menus though seems like a lot of work

Last edited:

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
As several have said, both are great devices, neither will make you sad. I researched heavily, and chose Darwin. "Regulated" is the key word here. I believe that Darwin is the only regulated device, available at any price. "Man, you're only aping at 5.684 volts? I am vaping at 5.935 volts, IT IS SO MUCH BETTER". Many just want More Voltage. That is only one number in the equation.

All of the devices are basically power sources with atty/cartos attached. The atty/carto is what give us the actual vaping experience. The job of the battery is to just provide power to the atty/carto. As that changes, so does the experience.

Any one number is meaningless, it's all that delicate ballet of Ohm's Law. Ohm's law is not absolute, resistance changes with heat, and all these things are little heaters!

The convenience of changing things is just that, a convenience. Some like to swap parts out, and consult a chart to give consistency, some do not. The preference of a tube, box or slab is also just that, a preference.

Performance-wise, if it's regulated, it will compensate for atty aging, crud buildup, battery degradation. Using HR atty/cartos are preferred with Darwin because it will draw less amps, and that is what gives better battery life, with the same vaping experience.

Try them both out if possible, and see what works for you!

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Dropping a darwin will make you sad. Sitting on it and busting the display will make you sad. Having to stack adapters on it to use tanks makes you sad. Sticking a darwin in your pocket and turning the watts up on accident will make you sad the next time you take a puff. Dead battery when you are no where near a power outlet will make you very sad. Plenty of things about the darwin are quite depressing. Dead battery when you are no where near a power outlet wi

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Dropping a darwin will make you sad. Sitting on it and busting the display will make you sad. Having to stack adapters on it to use tanks makes you sad. Sticking a darwin in your pocket and turning the watts up on accident will make you sad the next time you take a puff. Dead battery when you are no where near a power outlet will make you very sad. Plenty of things about the darwin are quite depressing. Dead battery when you are no where near a power outlet wi
Interesting stownz - I have 4 Darwins and got the first one as a preproduction prototype before they were released. I have never had any of those things happen. I must be doing something wrong. :)

XKingXGregX

Moved On
Mar 19, 2011
hartford, ct
Dial wont turn in pocket the arm blocks it I use a gooseneck on it and the fact that it swings is awesome a gooseneck on a provari would make the device too long to put in pocket unless your carrying more than 3 provari batteries the darwin will outlast batterywise thats a issue with allecigarettes so trying to knock the darwin with a battery life comment wont work because thats one area the darwin is all set in

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
I can see ware some folks like the longer battery life of a darwin untill the built in gets ran down.But i must agree on there is not a electrical out lit everyware.My cell phone never loses it's charge at a opertune time for example.This is one reason i feel the provari to be better for me.I do think they are the 2 best mods out there you will get about the same functions out of eather one weather you look at volts or watts does it matter no your gonna put it at your desired level.For those that thinking the button is hard to push to change volts,check battery,atty ohms,lts on off.The button pushes very easy i think the only way it could be easier would be mind power to change it have we became that lazy?Now to say you prefere a dial over push button i understan.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I can see ware some folks like the longer battery life of a darwin untill the built in gets ran down.But i must agree on there is not a electrical out lit everyware.My cell phone never loses it's charge at a opertune time for example.This is one reason i feel the provari to be better for me.I do think they are the 2 best mods out there you will get about the same functions out of eather one weather you look at volts or watts does it matter no your gonna put it at your desired level.For those that thinking the button is hard to push to change volts,check battery,atty ohms,lts on off.The button pushes very easy i think the only way it could be easier would be mind power to change it have we became that lazy?Now to say you prefere a dial over push button i understan.
I do like the longer battery life of the Darwin....With the carto's I use the Darwin battery lasts a minimum of two days, so I usually charge it overnight the second day....never have had a dead battery situation....and, for me anyway, I never enjoyed having to carry extra batteries..

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
I do like the longer battery life of the Darwin....With the carto's I use the Darwin battery lasts a minimum of two days, so I usually charge it overnight the second day....never have had a dead battery situation....and, for me anyway, I never enjoyed having to carry extra batteries..

Ya thats why we all differ in what we like and want both top mods!The new provpe 2500mah battery is a power house last long time also.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
ok so... someone sell me on one of the two.... size and weight is not a big deal, i know they are both pretty durable. i thought i was decieded on the provari, but now im considering the darwin again. price doesnt concern me between the two because they will really be about the same with batteries and charger and everything, this will be my 1st major mod. my uses will be cartos or tank mod when im at school, and dripping when im at home, someone please help me decide!

Love my Darwin.
Easiest PV I have to use.
I don't have to mess with chargers and battery changes.
It has plenty of power for me.
I love that I don't have to spend a bunch of time taking the thing apart and putting it back together every day. I just pull it off the USB and go.

It's a lifestyle thing here...the last thing I need are more chargers and gadgets. I am near a power source most of the time (indoors or in a car, etc.) so worrying about ever running down the batteries is rarely an issue for me. When I do go out with it I find it usually lasts me a couple of days. Even on long car trips I sometimes go all day of constantly vaping from a giant carto and still have battery life left at bed time. The only thing that has ever run the battery down on me was trying to power vape a Dual Coil at 5v 3amps all day long.

I love the swinging arm the most. It gives me nearly 180 degrees of options in how I angle the carto and hold the PV. Gives me lots of choices in how I hold it, and which finger I use to fire the button or work the wheel.

I.E. at 90 degrees, I can set the thing down flat on its back with a full tank kept upright and not worry about it tipping or flipping. Just pick it up over handed and push the button with my right index finger. It's a very steady platform for tanks and giant cartos. All my other mods have to be balanced in a cup or kept on a lanyard or something to use my tanks. I love the play in the arm...after chipping a tooth on other PVs hitting a bump in the road I've come to appreciate all of the thought on safety (that other PV critics call flaws or points of failure) that has gone into the Darwin. The slight bit of play in the arm helps protect your teeth and jaws from those sorts of bumps and jiggles.

The thing is built like a tank. It would take a major thing to break one of these, yet the warranty is one of the best in the industry, and repair fees will be very reasonable once that goes out.

Months of using this thing in call kinds of weather conditions. I've dripped and used all kinds of cartos. Never a problem with mine.

It fits great in my pocket.

The price is good considering everything you get (warranties, great li-poly batteries that pretty much take care of themselves for a good 2 years or more).

Last edited:

ime5000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
maryland
Love my Darwin.
Easiest PV I have to use.
I don't have to mess with chargers and battery changes.
It has plenty of power for me.

It's a lifestyle thing here...the last thing I need are more chargers and gadgets. I am near a power source most of the time (indoors or in a car, etc.) so worrying about ever running down the batteries is rarely an issue for me. When I do go out with it I find it usually lasts me a couple of days. Even on long car trips I sometimes go all day of constantly vaping from a giant carto and still have battery life left at bed time. The only thing that has ever run the battery down on me was trying to power vape a Dual Coil at 5v 3amps all day long.

I love the swinging arm the most.
I can set the thing down flat on its back with a full tank kept upright and not worry about it tipping or flipping. Just pick it up over handed and push the button with my right index finger. It's a very steady platform for tanks and giant cartos. All my other mods have to be balanced in a cup or kept on a lanyard or something to use my tanks.

It fits great in my pocket.

The price is good considering everything you get (warranties, great li-poly batteries that pretty much take care of themselves for a good 2 years or more).

the thing with the arm and the tank, can you post some pictures? im having trouble picturing that, but think it would be really helpful! thanks for the opinion!

XKingXGregX

Moved On
Mar 19, 2011
hartford, ct
ya well there are electrical outlets everywhere, i dont understand where this idea comes from that you cant charge a darwin all the time, this is one of the darwins strong points, the battery lasts very long...what difference does it make wether its the darwin or regular lithium ion rechargeable batteries they will eventually run out of battery life....what if you have a provari and the batteries die and theres no place to charge it, or you dont have the charger on you...how long does the provari last with or without the extention...darwin plugs into any mini usb cord, no charger needed i can use my cars gps usb cord to charge it bt then again thats rare because if i charge it overnight it will last 48 hours of heavy vaping....basicly what im trying to say is if you without an electrical outlet and you own a provari your going to run into the same problem

honestly i may eventually buy a provari also, i was considering it but went with a buzz pro instead, and ive grown happy with it as well, darwin w/ gooseneck w/ 306 + cannon drip tip, and my buzz pro w/ 510s

Last edited:

ime5000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
maryland
ok guys, continue with this thread if you want cuz i wont be buying for another week or two, but i have decieded on the darwin.
everyone has been very helpful and i thank you for everything.
i have read on both over and over. but darwin seems to be the one for me.
alot of people talk about the battery life. i have a car charger that uses the mini usb cable, i am almost always in my car or at home, or in class, so if it lasts me one full day that wont be a problem.
i have read great customer service reviews on both. so im not worried about getting burned there.
design on both is good, i actually like the idea of a slim box and i can always get a gooseneck or various tips to be able to put a tank mod or anything else i could dream of on there. my main selling factor was watts vs straight voltage, i have a slight electrical background and this just makes more sense to me, and seems it can extend the life of worn down attys and such.
another selling point is the dial, i like options and while the provari has options, it can take a while to change it, instead of a wheel to spin. the sturdyness of it seems to go to the provari, but i am fairly careful, i had my newest phone for a year and never dropped it yet, so im praying! lol
thanks again for all the help everyone.
dont get me wrong, im sure i will end up buying a provari later on, but for my first one i am going for the darwin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread