Status
Not open for further replies.

ime5000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
maryland
ok so... someone sell me on one of the two.... size and weight is not a big deal, i know they are both pretty durable. i thought i was decieded on the provari, but now im considering the darwin again. price doesnt concern me between the two because they will really be about the same with batteries and charger and everything, this will be my 1st major mod. my uses will be cartos or tank mod when im at school, and dripping when im at home, someone please help me decide!

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    The Darwin is kind of an oddly built device. But, it does let you dial in your desired watts, which is a little more straightforward than figuring out how many volts your particular atty should get to find your sweet spot. There have been complaints about the VV dial being accidentally adjusted and the stiffness of the firing button. If you go the Darwin route, you might want to invest in a Gooseneck from ttteliquids.com. It might save you from having to unscrew a tank (MAP tank, Liquinator, etc.) before you lower the arm to power it down.

The Provari is nice, too. The voltage-doubling circuit will halve your battery life, but it's still a nice device. It's got a little catch cup on top for any juice spills. The voltage settings and shutoff switch are all menu driven. Occasionally, I'll hit a menu when I'm vaping instead of it just firing like normal. The battery connection is a little too airy for a Drip On Demand kit, which requires a good seal to work properly.

I think you'd probably be happy with either device.

Olef

ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2011
    UK
    The Darwin my have the extra trick of wattage up its sleeve electrically but to me it is inferior in build to the Provari and that's why I went with the Provari.

Provari - one stainless steel tube, two solid stainless steel endcaps. All machined out of bar. Accepts off the shelf replacement batteries. Need extra runtime? Carry extra spare batteries. Extremely robust, no external moving parts during normal operation other than the fire button which is a quality switch.

Darwin - built in battery. Run down your battery and you need to go charge and wait, or presumably sit vaping attached by cable while it powers up again. What on earth were they thinking here? Other point - atomizer attached to a moving arm that sticks out of one side. It is a wear point and unless I am mistaken limits what can attached there without the use of adapters. Looks like it was designed by committee.

Just my thoughts :)

ime5000

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2011
    maryland
    I have heard people are having problems with their Darwins. Some have had to have it replaced 3 times. ProVari is a very reliable unit and one of the favorites of a lot of people here on ECF. This is the reason i went with the ProVari.

mix, what kind of problems? if theres a thread can you link me up to them?

ime5000

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2011
    maryland
    The Darwin my have the extra trick of wattage up its sleeve electrically but to me it is inferior in build to the Provari and that's why I went with the Provari.

Provari - one stainless steel tube, two solid stainless steel endcaps. All machined out of bar. Accepts off the shelf replacement batteries. Need extra runtime? Carry extra spare batteries. Extremely robust, no external moving parts during normal operation other than the fire button which is a quality switch.

Darwin - built in battery. Run down your battery and you need to go charge and wait, or presumably sit vaping attached by cable while it powers up again. What on earth were they thinking here? Other point - atomizer attached to a moving arm that sticks out of one side. It is a wear point and unless I am mistaken limits what can attached there without the use of adapters. Looks like it was designed by committee.

Just my thoughts :)

thanks for the thoughts olef!, i know the battery is internal on the darwin, but ive heard it can last a couple days without cahrging even under heavy vaping. i normally would plug mine in while sleeping. the arm thing does seem like kinda of pain but you can get gooseneck if you want a tank on there or something... people are swaying me towards a provari now!

doots

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2009
    safe-list.com
    I think these 2 are both good but Id go with a Buzz pro for reasons being you can use any atty on it without problems. Batt life is almost double that of the pro vari and device is lighter in weight. I have owned 2 pro varis and know what the limitations are on the attys. Never a problem on the Buzz Pro. The arm on the darwin would be a pain.

ime5000

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2011
    maryland
    I think these 2 are both good but Id go with a Buzz pro for reasons being you can use any atty on it without problems. Batt life is almost double that of the pro vari and device is lighter in weight. I have owned 2 pro varis and know what the limitations are on the attys. Never a problem on the Buzz Pro. The arm on the darwin would be a pain.
    what kinda problems did you have and with what kinda attys? the arm on the darwin doesnt really bother me, i can get a gooseneck and pretty much put whatever i want on, weight and size arnt really big issues either, id prefer it big and rediculous so people stop yelling at me to quit smoking ciggs on campus, lol

Stownz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    Provari forever.
    Picture39.jpg

Stainless Steel. Protected display. Entirely sealed. It can actually take a beating, darwin will not. Works great with the new carto tanks on the market without a fail adapter.

Picture102.jpg

ime5000

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2011
    maryland
    Provari forever.

Stainless Steel. Protected display. Entirely sealed. It can actually take a beating, darwin will not. Works great with the new carto tanks on the market without a fail adapter.

stwonz, i see you have a lot of mods there, would you say provari is the best one you own, or say...in the top three? and is that the liquinator you are using with it? lastly have you ever used or played aroudn with a darwin?

ime5000

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2011
    maryland
    lol, im new, im a college student so im broke, this will be my 1st real mod, they are expensive so i want to be sure i get something im gonna love and itll be worth it.. trust me ive been lookign at forums, video reviews and all sorts of stuff for about 3 weeks now, landlord and Odell, what are your opinions??

landlord, nice avatar... tonight...you

UpInTheCut

ECF Veteran
    Aug 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    My 1st mod was/is a Darwin I got it 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it!!!! The Darwin is very well built.. I have no problems with the button like some people are saying. The vapor production is amazing each and every time I take a toot until the battery dies. I only have to charge it mini usb every 2 days. plus I can just plug it in and vape normally until fully charged. There is a 2 year warranty if anything goes wrong as well. You really will be very pleased with it if you decide to purchase it. :)
    It hasn't left my side....I have to warn you though, you might have to step down your nicotine level of your nicquids it's got a kick :)

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2010
    in the NEBULA
    ime5000
    Yes, this "debate" has been going on since both mods became available. However, I do not think there is any "debate" at all. They are BOTH quality high tech devices and both companies offer good customer support.

Everything in vaping is subjective. you like this juice and I prefer that one. One person prefers attys another cartos, etc.

Bottom line is that both of these vape well, they just do different things in different ways. As to what makes "pro(s)" vs "con(s)" is a matter of personal preference. There are ProVari fanboi(s)/goil(s) and there are Darwin fanboi(s)/goil(s). Each device has "features" and those features are just different. Which is "better" is a matter of personal preference. Clearly, by my sig line, I have a preference. I have had both devices and posted my "first impressions" of both devices (both very positive).

Both have had their share of issues and returns, and both companies stand behind their products. The warranties are different too. People can argue which had "more" issues but the only people who really know are the owners of each company. The more important question, on THIS subject, is "are the users/customers happy with their customer service?" and it seems most are happy with the customer service from both companies. ALL new high tech devices go thru some of this. The first iPhone had thousands of returns. The first Android phones had many problems too. Even several generations into an Android device like HTC's 4.3" phones (now out in 4 different versions) still has many returns - look up HTC Thunderbolt. But, the question remains - are the customers happy? There are iphone fans and Android fans - neither are "wrong" and neither product is "better" but one device may be "better" for one person and the other may be for someone else.

Some people prefer a tube shape and swappable batts, others prefer the thinner shape of Darwin. Some prefer having the size adjustability of ProVari (18650 & 18490 batts) and others prefer the longer life of a single charge and PT features of Darwin.

Some prefer digitally stable fixed volts (variable set thru menus) and others prefer the watts settings of Darwin.

When people say this one or that one is "better" they are stating their opinion based on their personal preferences of these various factors.

There is an extensive Provari thread here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/131028-provari-variable-voltage-mod.html

There is an extensive Darwin thread here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nhaler/151096-darwin-evolv.html

I'd encourage you to make a list of questions you may have about each device and post those questions in the respective threads. I would discourage you from asking in either thread "which is better" because that is the "debate" mentioned several times already in this thread.

If you are starting from scratch (need everything - incl batts and chargers), they come pretty close in price. many argue this point but if you buy Provari, the extension cap for larger batt, 2 batts, charger and the warranty extension (so they are both 2 yrs), the price becomes relatively comparable.

On the warranty side, the edge goes to Darwin because That warranty is transferable and last I checked, ProVari warranty was not transferrable. Darwin warranties batt for a full year and then charges $25 after the first year for a replacement (comes with a new full yr warranty). As far as I know, batts are not warrantied on ProVari. But, Darwin has to be sent in for batt replacement and not for ProVari. Darwin's batt is not proprietary an and "can" be changed by users who know how to solder the contacts but opening Darwin voids the warranty.

While this post may not address the question "which is better" I think a more realistic question might be "which is better for YOU?" and only you can answer THAT for yourself. I think both are quality devices that each take vaping in new directions. Each operates differently and each has different features. As I said, each feature - and the combinations of features that each device offers - is a matter of personal preference. Vapors can get defensive and/or adamant about their preferred and anyone saying one is definitively "better" is only really saying which is "better" for "them".

Hope this is somehow helpful to you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread