provari or darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
the thing with the arm and the tank, can you post some pictures? im having trouble picturing that, but think it would be really helpful! thanks for the opinion!

Sorry, I don't have a camera, but imagine the arm at 90 degrees, or even less...instead of fully open/extended.

Set the Darwin down flat on its back (screen facing up) and your atty/tank sits 'upright' then. It rides great on a car seat that way :) You can easily do one handed dripping, or keep your tanks upright :)

Imagine sitting in your easy chair....set it flat on your lap like a gun slinger with atty pointing up ;) Drip one handed easily if you need.......

Put your right index finger on the button and your thumb on the opposite edge to pick it up (overhanded).
I set my whistle tips about a 45 degree angle, so when I pick up the Darwin I lift it to draw overhanded, the Darwin is out slightly to the side (flute like) instead of up and down. I take my draw and set the PV down flat on its back again. This is when I am sitting at a table or desk, or driving. All the motion is in my lower arm and I can adjust things for minimal, and very comfortable motion on my part.

If I am walking around alot, or sitting in an 'easy chair' with no table in 'front of me' it is sometimes more ergonomic for me to extend the arm more...sometimes fully, and wrap my hand around the unit and push the button with my thumb.

Lefty use is nice as well. You can do the same thing, laying it flat on its back with the atty at 90 degrees, but use the left thumb (palm facing away from yourself) to push the button instead. Or of course you can wrap your hand around it and use the index finger (palm in). I'm sure everyone's comfort points are slightly different.

If you use whistle tips, just set it at the angle you like holding your PV the most....which can depend on the type chair you're sitting in, or if you are standing, etc. If all your tips are round, it doesn't matter at all...lift it and vape it any ole way :)

That arm gives you tons of variables on how you want to lift and use your PV for your given setting/situation. In more cramped spaces...angle the atty more and hold the PV at more outward angles (like a toothbrush or flute). IN less cramped spaces, or standing/walking...extend it more fully and you don't have to raise your arm/hand as high to drag. It's quite flexible :)

I rarely 'close' my Darwin arm to the power-down position unless I'm sticking the thing in my pocket (not sure why, but I tend to stuff it in my left back pocket with the USB port up, where it rides great...even when I sit down. When going portable, I usually use a giant carto like a Giantomizer, or something like the Echo (depends on the liquid I want to vape as to which I prefer). With a couple of extensions on the thing, eGo sized stuff fits well, can open and close fully. Empire Drip shields will also fit and it opens and closes. Mega and 801 atties clear as well, but keep in mind that I do stack a few extensions on mine and keep them all with me on my Darwin. I keep 510>510, 510>901 on it all the time. Most of my ego sized stuff has a 901>510 adapter sitting on it at the ready, and my 801 atties have a 901 to 801 on them as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the dual coil stuff so far...especially when I go portable, but that is just me. When using the giant single coil stuff I get mondo good battery life.

Why all the extensions, and why the 901 in the middle? 1. the extra length. 2. and more importantly...I can adjust the air draw by how i space them all out :) My 901 adapter has a pin in the center that can change the air flow depending on how far you screw it down in the 510 end (the pin shoves in, or pulls out to make contact when you screw something on the 901 end).

Don't limit yourself to extending the arm fully...........in a way it's like getting a free goose-neck in the deal :) Dern near 180 degrees of flexibility in which way your atty 'points' while you vape :)

Last edited:

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
im hesitant about having a device that i have to click through menus though seems like a lot of work

I was worried about that as well. It actually becomes second nature in no time. Very easy and quick to use. A wheel sounded much more simple, but the other capabilities that the ProVari menu system allows you was the plus that pushed me from the buzz pro to the ProVari. I've only had mine 4 days, but I'm loving it.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
I own both the darwin and the provari. They both have their weak and strong points.

The darwin's strength is in its battery, ease of use and pocketability. Changing out atties from higher to lower resistance is a cinch as you don't have to worry about burning up your atty or carto. The voltage self-adjusts to whatever wattage you want as a result. This means less tinkering with voltage to find your "sweet spot". It's weakness is in the form factor, where larger atties or tanks are kind of awkward to use on it.

The provari's strengths lie mainly in its form factor. Its weakness is the amperage limiting. On an ego mega dual coil cartomizer I can bring the voltage up to only 3.7 volts. Anything higher gives me an E2 error. Whereas on the darwin, I can take the dual coil all the way up to 12 watts (4.2-4.4 volts, 2.9 amps). For such a high end device, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to put out more power. That's where the darwin wins. Also the menu on the provari in comparison to the darwin is very annoying to use. From turning on to vaping to locking it again so it doesn't fire in your pocket is 10 button clicks, then waiting a couple seconds for it to leave the menu.. Then again to lock. The darwin: just open the arm, vape, close arm and that's it. I wish the provari had an easier way for the menu to work. I hate when I miss what I was trying to get to and I have to keep scrolling through the menu to get back to it, especially when drunk ;)

BUT, I love both devices for their own specific uses. The darwin sees most of its vaping time while @ work, and the provari I use more at home. I can't forsee getting rid of either for a long time, not until another better VV device with a digital readout comes out. Or the darwin 2 or provari 2 ;)

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
This is a great thread and pretty civil considering the level of fandom for each device. Really, from what I can tell each is a great choice and it really comes down to personal preference.

I've stepped up to a Darwin recently and am loving it. I've had more mods than I care to admit since I started vaping, and for me the kicker is no more battery chargers everywhere I go. I got so fed up with it a few months ago I switched to mega ego's exclusively with LR 306 atty's but found myself missing a good HV vape. The Darwin delivers big time, and the ability to turn it off when in my pocket is fantastic. I like the form factor of the D, but also like tube mods too so thats not an issue for me. I did have a small problem with the first one I received, but Evolv had a replacement in my hands within 24 hours which is just exceptional.

For those that have had 5-6 volt mods and are considering either, there is a difference between voltage and power based vaping. Compared to say an Xhaler or Chuck which are great HV mods, the vape on a Darwin is stronger and more consistent throughout the toot. I find myself feeling the throat hit and nic more strongly on the Darwin even though I turn the watts down. It also stays consistent throughout the battery charge. I've never used a provari so I can't compare that experience, others can chime in and relate their experience. Just throwing in my 2 cents for those on the fence.

There may be a provari in my future, but the lower current limiting is what turns me off from it. Sometimes you just want to crank it up and my Darwin does that well. Will probably get a second when the colors are available, want me a blue Darwin.:2cool:

ime5000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
maryland
Glad you like the Darwin.....had mine since April and thinking about a blue one also....the Vari, which I have never tried, has a good reputation also, but at least for me, the Darwin is just spot-on. When I spend another couple-hundred $$ it will be "blue"....

are the blue ones out?? i didnt have an option when i ordered it

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
are the blue ones out?? i didnt have an option when i ordered it

A few of us keep throwing that out there. There were blue and red ones available around product launch. I had heard that some colors may be avialable soon but have not had a definitive response or confirmation if that is true. But it is fun to give Drew a few jabs on getting colors available :)

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Drew posted a video in the Darwin thread that showed a red and blue version and I think mentioned that a few colors will be available sometime in the near future.

I keep oscillating, 2 Darwins or a Darwin and a Provari. The Darwin is just so good, Provari has some definite advantages as well.
I'm doing the research and reading the reviews, have some $$ coming in later this week and will hold on until I have all the info to make the right choice. I'm not really looking for a backup, I keep an ego or bartleby with me just in case at work or traveling. To be honest I'm not sure what I'm after, something to broaden my options...?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Drew posted a video in the Darwin thread that showed a red and blue version and I think mentioned that a few colors will be available sometime in the near future.

I keep oscillating, 2 Darwins or a Darwin and a Provari. The Darwin is just so good, Provari has some definite advantages as well.
I'm doing the research and reading the reviews, have some $$ coming in later this week and will hold on until I have all the info to make the right choice. I'm not really looking for a backup, I keep an ego or bartleby with me just in case at work or traveling. To be honest I'm not sure what I'm after, something to broaden my options...?

Maybe pick up something really nice that you know will hold most if not all of its trading value. Play with it for a while, then come to ECF and trade it for something else to try when you get bored with it.

Provari, The REO, Ali, etc. There's also lots of custom 'pipe' makers who's stuff really holds high value. The GLV people make some really nice stuff. Super T makes some very beautiful stuff, Vapor Moon has the touch Sabers that should hold some value. And Nhaler has a very interesting range of signature artsy stuff (some even come with matching custom made pool cues) if that is your bag.

Just an idea if you like swapping stuff around just for the adventure of it all. It's not for everyone, but it is a way to experience them all eventually without having to shell out full price for every one of them :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread