Question for those who think we should not vape where we can not smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I don't hide my vaping. I don't vape where it is posted or I have been told not to. If I am with a group of people I ask if it bothers them and abide by their decision (courtesy).

The ones I just will never understand are the ones who vape somewhere. Are told it is not allowed. Then they proceed to stealth vape because they know they can get away with it and call it civil disobedience. That is not civil disobedience. That is a nya nya to the person who told them no. If it was civil disobedience they would not be stealthing. Even Ghandi knew an act of defiance means nothing if the powers that be never notice.

Unlike smoking, there is no continuous action. When you light a cigarette, it stays lighted for several minutes continuously.
If you pull a PV out of your pocket for a second, to put in your mouth, then put it back in your pocket, it's quite different from having a lighted cigarette sitting in an astray.

For some reason what keeps coming to my mind is what if a woman takes out a stick of lipstick to do her lips, and is told it is not allowed ?

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Quite. Being loud and proud can work, if you've got the wider public on your side.

But it's a thin line between loud and obnoxious. If the public see us as a nuisance, we're in a pickle...

The general public has no idea about vaping and it just looks like smoking to them. For that reason I don't vape anywhere that smoking is not permitted.

I'm probably as old as most of your grandparents, so I grew up in a world where I could smoke wherever and whenever I wanted. When public opinion got swayed against smoking there was no changing the inevitable. When this first started and a restaurant changed their smoking policy I stopped patronizing that establishment. Smokers were outraged but the laws and bans marched right past us. Reason being smokers were outnumbered and public opinion had shifted.

Vapers are even more outnumbered and I can tell you from life experience that vaping when and where you want will only result in more outcries for bans and legislation against vaping. The only way to win this is to educate the public about vaping and and concentrated publicity campaigns about the virtues of vaping. Passive resistance such as vaping when and where you please will have the exact opposite effect of what you think you're trying to accomplish.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
At the risk of ticking off several of you - what Im hearing is
"Doesnt bother me, I could care less about anyone else"!
Thankyou however for an\swering the posted ?...."What is your individual feeling on the limitations"
I personally disagree vehemently. I am fed up with the restriction of personal liberty that is running rampant around the planet.
Theres several other related posts today on ECF, in particular the "healthy lifestyle" trends in EU.
I am an adult, I understand my responsibility for actions in public.
Whether I "choose" to vape in public or not is irrelivent to my concerns. I would most certainly resent being told I could NOT vape
in public where it poses zero harm to anyone. I would certainly resent being told I could no longer go order a pint of stout ale for the closure of pubs
whether I like the product or not! Whether I drink stout ale ot hme or not, again not the issue here.
So long as I am not violating the laws of driving while intoxicated, or actions our communities have more recently deemed "harmful to" (anyone);
it is the concept of PROHIBITION That's so repugnant and yes, draconian.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Unlike smoking, there is no continuous action. When you light a cigarette, it stays lighted for several minutes continuously.
If you pull a PV out of your pocket for a second, to put in your mouth, then put it back in your pocket, it's quite different from having a lighted cigarette sitting in an astray.

For some reason what keeps coming to my mind is what if a woman takes out a stick of lipstick to do her lips, and is told it is not allowed ?

You missed my point entirely. If you are stealth vaping and considering it civil disobedience it is not civil disobedience it is getting around the rules. FOr it to be civil disobedience it must be noticed by the powers that be.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Let's get real blunt:
1. We shot ourselves in the foot in the first place by referring to all vaping devices as "e-cigs" to the general public. Who CARES if they don't understand what a mod is......it's NOT an electric CIGARETTE. It 's a vaporizer. Stick some Vicks on the wicks and you can ease a chest cold. You CAN'T do that with a cig-a-like<what most non-vapers think an electric cigarette is.
2. Until we make a concerted effort to use the terms "PV, Mod" etc., we will continue to stigmatize vaping and have it thrown in that same group of plant products rolled in paper and ignited with a flame.
3. If you are told you can not "vape", "smoke", etc, your "e-cig", politely say, "I am not vaping/smoking an E-cig" and then let the proprietor or their employees figure it out. An E-cig looks like a cigarette........NOT some strange pocket radio, a sonic screw driver, or a "massage" device.

I'll take myself somewhere else, or put my vape gear away if someone politely asks me to NOT vape, just as I would hope a parent would control their obnoxious kid in a restaurant if I asked them politely.

But don't call my vape gear an e-cig. If someone's going to get in my body bag, they better know what they're talking about.

Bottom line, rudeness is uncalled for. You're only going to be treated the way you treat others: unless you run across a complete ......, and then just shine them on.

Rant over:2c:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
LOL. I left my tinfoil hat at the family Christmas gathering.
You do realize that there are many places you are not allowed to legally vape outside?
And you do realize that list is growing larger and larger every day?

How exactly is a tinfoil hat going to stop that?
I guess I'm not following you.

Could you maybe be more specific?

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
DC2, my dear vapin' bud,

Ya know I luv ya. But really...?

WWI GI field rations are done gone and dead horses now only stir da blow flies...
deadhorse.gif

There will always be da bold, da meek, da clueless and then those that use and take advantage of all three!

Sorry, but I'm old and getting really tired of defending MY personal decisions!

Regardless, ya'll keep up da good fight. I'll do my 'educating' one on one as folk approach me and seek 'bakky freedom. I just don't have da stamina to continually battle da azzhats. So let 'em come get me...

<scrolling banner headline: Long time resident busted for vaping distribution center within west side compound... news update and video at 11>

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Everyone looks at the world with different eyes. What you find important is not so important to others.
I agree that vapers should not be vanquished to the nether regions that smokers have been. I also firmly believe that people walking around an indoor mall vaping away is detrimental to the cause.

I'm in agreement with your belief that vapers should not be treated as if they are smokers. But.....

It appears you believe that it should be illegal to allow all of these kiosks selling vaping supplies in malls where customers try out different flavors of eliquid. And it would go without saying, that the kiosks that sells perfumes where customers try different fragrances would also need to be illegal since the same reasoning would apply in both cases as to why they should not be permitted in malls.

Slippery Slope.jpg

Last edited:

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
You do realize that there are many places you are not allowed to legally vape outside?
And you do realize that list is growing larger and larger every day?

How exactly is a tinfoil hat going to stop that?
I guess I'm not following you.

Could you maybe be more specific?

You can't smoke at beaches and parks because people use the beach as if it's an ashtray. It's a false equivalence. I'm not worried about any of these issues because, well, I'm not paranoid.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
You can't smoke at beaches and parks because people use the beach as if it's an ashtray. It's a false equivalence. I'm not worried about any of these...

.. because no one enforces anti-littering laws.

When was da last time ya saw an empty carto on da beach and/or in a park? Talkin' 'bout false equivalence!!! Dat's OK, logic and science also escapes da ANTZ...
icon_wink.gif

ETA: Guess I got my second wind back... thanx to vaping!

Last edited:

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
.. because no one enforces anti-littering laws.

When was da last time ya saw an empty carto on da beach and/or in a park? Talkin' 'bout false equivalence!!! Dat's OK, logic and science also escapes da ANTZ...
icon_wink.gif

ETA: Guess I got my second wind back... thanx to vaping!

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to articulate. I'm saying that cigarettes are banned at beaches due to the butts, which isn't a problem with vaporizers. The chances of vaporizers being banned at beaches is slim to none.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to articulate. I'm saying that cigarettes are banned at beaches due to the butts, which isn't a problem with vaporizers. The chances of vaporizers being banned at beaches is slim to none.

And already has happened in some place unfortunately.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
In the link I posted there are tons of beaches and parks where smoking is illegal.

Around the country legislation is being circulated to include vaping in all existing smoking bans.
I have yet to see any piece of legislation that excludes beaches and parks.

Do you know the stated reason why New York City just passed their electronic cigarette ban?
Because it looks like smoking. They didn't mention anything about butts.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The general public has no idea about vaping and it just looks like smoking to them. For that reason I don't vape anywhere that smoking is not permitted.

I'm probably as old as most of your grandparents, so I grew up in a world where I could smoke wherever and whenever I wanted. When public opinion got swayed against smoking there was no changing the inevitable. When this first started and a restaurant changed their smoking policy I stopped patronizing that establishment. Smokers were outraged but the laws and bans marched right past us. Reason being smokers were outnumbered and public opinion had shifted.

Vapers are even more outnumbered and I can tell you from life experience that vaping when and where you want will only result in more outcries for bans and legislation against vaping. The only way to win this is to educate the public about vaping and and concentrated publicity campaigns about the virtues of vaping. Passive resistance such as vaping when and where you please will have the exact opposite effect of what you think you're trying to accomplish.

I'm not sure how vaping openly most places, but respectfully and with common sense leads to bans. I know the many attempts to ban vaping started before hardly anyone was vaping, especially in an open and outward manner. I'm also not sure how telling the public in general that vaping and smoking are the same thing, through our actions, will provide the "win through education" you mentioned. When I read comments that the general public needs to be "educated" about vaping, I always wonder who the poster is talking about. Who will be doing this educating? Why would it be effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread