second hand vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
What would you suggest? My coworker didnt like it at first because she thought it was gross. Then she looked it up online (those bad sites probably) and heard the misinformed thing that it contains a bunch of chemicals ...which is not true.

well bad news is: Vapor does contain 'a bunch of chemicals'. so in that regard, she is correct. But guess what? Your sandwich contains 'a bunch of chemicals'. That cola you drank with your sandwich contains 'a bunch of chemicals'. A glass of tap water contains 'a bunch of chemicals'. The air you breathe walking down the street contains 'a bunch of chemicals'. There is plenty of misinformation being spread on both sides of the vaping argument. Example:

DrMa said:
Since vapor is no more dangerous than exhaled breath (and may in fact be beneficial)

Seriously? Let's just look at this with some semblance of critical thinking. Any time you put the word "may" in front of the phrase "in fact" EVERYONE's BS alarms should go off. It is impossible for anyone to prove that vaped exhaled breathe could be beneficial. This is a ridiculous assertion and should be classified as the 'misinformation' we so vehemently decry.

Then she started going on about how vaping indoors should be illegal.... blah blah blah.
Geez the misinformation is terrible...
So point me to a good study....
And then shell probably get all antsy about the nicotine in the vape. Ah its tough.
All my other coworkers dont care.

I've seen a fair share of these threads. They're usually started by someone who is a former smoker but now vapes. They didn't really get into vaping because they were interested in stopping smoking, they started vaping because they could do it at their desk at work or in a store or in a restaurant or wherever smoking isn't allowed (Note OP's signature) -- They could 'get away with' vaping because there had not yet been a rule made to prevent the activity.

Whether your other coworkers care or not, she cares. You are exposing her to something she is given little choice to avoid. She has to work in that area of the office to make her living. You can still go outside for your fix. Problem solved.

You have the freedom to be inconsiderate, but that doesn't mean you should exercise that freedom.

Last edited:

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Whether your other coworkers care or not, she cares. You are exposing her to something she is given little choice to avoid. She has to work in that area of the office to make her living. You can still go outside for your fix. Problem solved.

And then there are the people who see us vaping and come right up on us or otherwise contrive to have a reason to complain. It's happened to me over and over and over again, in places where vaping is allowed and outside in areas where people are allowed to smoke. BTW, I DID start vaping to quit smoking, 14 months ago, and it worked. I don't impose my vaping on anyone, but they have chosen to impose their nasty attitudes on me for it as soon as they see me doing it when they could have MORE easily left me alone. NO, they had to come right up on me and get nasty with me about it... because they are nasty people and they need an excuse to get all over someone and be nasty to them.

Last edited:

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
And then there are the people who see us vaping and come right up on us or otherwise contrive to have a reason to complain. It's happened to me over and over and over again, in places where vaping is allowed and outside in areas where people are allowed to smoke. BTW, I DID start vaping to quit smoking, 14 months ago, and it worked. I don't impose my vaping on anyone, but they have chosen to impose their nasty attitudes on me for it as soon as they see me doing it when they could just as easily left me alone. NO, they had to come right up on me and get nasty with me about it... because they are nasty people.

Here is the difference. YOU ARE CHOOSING TO VAPE.

The woman stuck in an office and being exposed to someone else's vapor is not getting to make the choice.

And good for you for quitting smoking. That's super. I don't think your anecdote really applies in this case. I remember seeing your original posting about this event- It seems to have really upset you. Here's a gift, I hope you feel better-

tinyviolin.jpg

Last edited:

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Here is the difference. YOU ARE CHOOSING TO VAPE.

The woman stuck in an office and being exposed to someone else's vapor is not getting to make the choice.

And good for you for quitting smoking. That's super. I don't think your anecdote really applies in this case.

I don't think yours does either.

I think you are just looking to bash other vapers on behalf of anyone who hates us for vaping.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is all you need to communicate to your concerned coworker:
http://publichealth.drexel.edu/~/media/Files/publichealth/ms08.ashx

In layman's terms, you're forced to live within the same atmosphere as other people, and thus breathe in the same air they breathe out. Since vapor is no more dangerous than exhaled breath (and may in fact be beneficial) there is absolutely no objective reason to prohibit vaping anywhere. Last time I checked we can't use looks to deny service or employment to people, so the fact the vapor "looks" like smoke cannot serve as a basis for that prohibition either.

Wait... what? Are you seriously trying to equate EEO protected classes with your "right" to blow vapor wherever you please?

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
I don't think yours does either.
My what?

I think you are just looking to bash other vapers on behalf of anyone who hates us for vaping.

Just so we're clear- you think a woman working in an office, doing her job and complaining about a coworker's vapor is THE SAME as you being chewed out by someone outside a restaurant because you were vaping? Same thing?

I'm not bashing a vaper. I think he should vape. Just outside where it won't bother his coworker. Wouldn't you have been happier if the person complaining to you had been more considerate?

Being considerate of others. That is what I'm advocating. Your attempt to twist it into a bash of another vaper is just that ... twisted.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
In its most reduced form -

Vaping on the job is Theft of company time. Nothing to do with you or your co-workers wants. You were both hired to perform a function profitable to the company and any personal activities on the clock are cutting into that profit.

How's that for reality. :)

I work for a very hard line company with a huge legal team that works to one end - Profitability above all else.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I'm all for keeping your smells to yourself, whether it's perfume, food, cigarettes, or vapor. Some people are sensitive to scents (myself included) and have a knee-jerk reaction (not me) to any perceived threat. Now, there are some natural extracts that are allergenic to some, but it's extremely rare through vapor. If my cubemate was burning incense or melting wax tarts, I'd freak out because I have a legit allergy to most synthetic scents. Same as if they were eating strong hamburger hotdish since the smell of cooked ground beef makes me gag.

Now, I'm all for vaping in public, but in the case of any thrown scent, I think it's a politeness factor. I'd just start vaping less-flavored or unflavored juice to get my nic fix, because I'd expect others to adjust to my own scent issues. If I ever hear someone fake coughing in my direction, I'll do my best to make them look stupid. "It's just melon-scented vapor" *showing my e-cig mod then inhale and blow another vapor cloud.

Uh, HWHAT? So, you didn't stink like dirty gutters so they got mad at you? That would piss me off.

you are the very reason things like this get stalled.

if you have a unique problem it is up to you to deal with it.
it is not my problem.
it is not societies problem.
it is not the governments problem.

it is your problem.

your problem x 3500,000,000 millions of peoples problems is squat.
so just stay home with your therapy animal.

i am not being harsh.
these small obscure populations with their unique problems have been jerking around every one for to long.

regards
mike

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
I've seen a fair share of these threads. They're usually started by someone who is a former smoker but now vapes. They didn't really get into vaping because they were interested in stopping smoking, they started vaping because they could do it at their desk at work or in a store or in a restaurant or wherever smoking isn't allowed (Note OP's signature) -- They could 'get away with' vaping because there had not yet been a rule made to prevent the activity.

You have the freedom to be inconsiderate, but that doesn't mean you should exercise that freedom.

Okay... this is ridiculous. To be honest... I spend 1 month of the year in this office. For your info, I quit smoking to quit smoking. I spent almost 1000 dollars on E cig stuff not because I wanted to smoke at my desk but because I wanted to finally give up the smoking. So please stop being a judgemental ________. My office most of the year is an elementary school... where I am permitted to vape inside the teachers change room.

But yes, EVERYONE please note my signature. I do believe that we should have the right to Vape everywhere. this thread shows more.... that we should. If Vaping is about as harmful as breathing in the air in tokyo... Why not? So the whole reason I should not vape indoors is because of irrational uneducated fear?

People are misinformed. they fear it. Regardless of if we vape indoors or outdoors they are going to want to stick their big nose in it anyways. The reasons why smoking was banned indoors has merit. This is not cigarettes. this has no merit.

An abyways. Ive been to restuarants with this Coworker, and almost all restaurants have a smoking area. Even though we sit on the other side of the restuarant, she doesnt complain. the office is about 50% the size of the office.

At the same time.... The point of this now isnt really to gain a power to Vape in the office. I am happy with the current situation. She seems to tolerate me vaping without blowing clouds of vape out, Or only small tiny wisps.

THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD IS TO STOP THE MISINFORMATION. to stop perpetuating the fear.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
According to EPA, exposure to formaldehyde in air above 0.08ppb causes cancer. Fact is the average concentration of formaldehyde in exhaled breath (non smoker) is 1-2ppb. Therefore, according to EPA, inhalation of second hand breath causes cancer. Quick: everybody hold your breath when you're around other people, otherwise you could give them cancer, according to EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/teach/chem_summ/Formaldehyde_summary.pdf

You see where I'm going with this? There is no such thing as safe. Furthermore, the risk associated with second hand vapor is no greater than the risk associated with second hand breath. Therefore there is absolutely no objective reason to restrict vaping in enclosed/open public spaces, unless similar restrictions were also imposed on breathing.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
It actually generally makes me angry. It's just 6 years ago I could light up in a bar. Here smoking indoors in some places is okay. So this stuff gets me angry. I personally think vaping should be done anywhere freely. I've also had the same coworker fake cough when I vaped near her outdoors.... get a life.

I would probably inform her that a) stress has killed more people than e-cigs, b) the definition of stress is the suppression of the desire to choke the living caca out of some ...... who richly deserves it, and that everytime she opens her mouth, she places you under extreme stress, and you must therefore vape, or you might find other ways to relieve that stress. :D

Andria

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
There is a lot of chemicals in vaping. There was a topic on here not to long ago. I think a cig has something like 9k+ chemicals and the vape has something like 700+ or something. Could be wrong on the numbers (give or take a couple hundred lol).

Also I don't vape indoors expect at my house, if I am in public I treat this as I would a cig. I smoked cigs outside not inside so I do the same with vaping, unless I was at a bar and then I smoked inside.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
But then why should I need to go to a smoke pit... and breathe in all that second hand smoke? Is it not my right to not have to breathe in that stuff?

When it comes to smoking or vaping... there are no 'rights'. You are choosing to engage in an activity. Self control has its rewards.

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
you are the very reason things like this get stalled.

if you have a unique problem it is up to you to deal with it.
it is not my problem.
it is not societies problem.
it is not the governments problem.

it is your problem.

your problem x 3500,000,000 millions of peoples problems is squat.
so just stay home with your therapy animal.

i am not being harsh.
these small obscure populations with their unique problems have been jerking around every one for to long.

regards
mike

Actually vaping in an office or work environment is not considered public. I would agree with your comments if you said you were out in the open air of a public place, but an office environment is not consider public, it is owned and operated by a person or company who's concern is normally the well-being of all employees. Their liability insurance local and federal laws dictate they must. If a company has to choose between two people that complain that second hand vapor is making them ill and risk disability lawsuit / claim and your right to vape at your desk... guess what action they will take?

You have the right to vape in public depending on local laws, you can even vape in restaurants as long as local laws or the business permits it. Vaping where ever you want right now is a luxury and NOT a right. More people then maybe you like to admit don't like the aroma, scent, or have reactions then you like to admit. And these reactions may or may not be actual physical or mental reaction to a scent or chemical.

The more that vapers have the attitude that "it's no illegal" or "it's not my problem" and vape where ever and when ever they choose regardless of other people's feelings or well-being, the more businesses, local and federal government will take notice and take action.

You're not being harsh, you're showing how shallow, narrow minded, self absorbed, self important, crude you are with your unwarranted and lack of empathy remarks to even a fellow vaper that has expressed her own reaction to synthetic scents from aroma therapy devices and not vaping itself. And telling her to stay at home with her animal therapy was nothing less then a personal attack.

History has dictated over the years new laws are passed to appease the minority. The more people that get offended the greater the call to take action becomes.

I really don't care if vaping gets banned in the work place, restaurants, the mall, movie theater... etc. I work from home and spend my free time out getting fresh air. Won't affect me one bit, I can go without vaping for a few hours when out in public or at a clients site. I choose not to vape in public buildings out of respect of others. What gives me the right to subject other people or children to my choice or habit? The only real answer to that question is... the laws haven't caught up to us yet. Key word is yet, the clock is ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread