second hand vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
When it comes to smoking or vaping... there are no 'rights'. You are choosing to engage in an activity. Self control has its rewards.

Please! There are rights to individual freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Just like you choose to breathe in the same room as me, doesn't mean it's not a right.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Please! There are rights to individual freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Just like you choose to breathe in the same room as me, doesn't mean it's not a right.

This is the thing... they're all hollering about their rights... don't we have any? don't we have as much right as anyone else to do a thing that doesn't hurt anyone? How is it that all the puritans have all the rights, or that they just ASSUME that their rights trump ours? That seems very unbalanced to me.

Andria

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
If her concern is health based, then I would attempt education and explanation. If it's preference based on the smell, I'd talk to her and see if a different flavor would solve the problem. If neither of these worked, I'd ignore it until she made an official complaint, and then I'd fight it officially. If the decision came down in her favor, I'd do everything in my power to make her as unhappy as possible at work and get rid of her from that day forward. Politeness first always, but grudges are forever and forgiveness is purely in God's domain, not mine. Not a solution for everybody, and I am sure the crazy vaping apologists will think I'm a selfish jerk, but I'm ok with that.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
If her concern is health based, then I would attempt education and explanation. If it's preference based on the smell, I'd talk to her and see if a different flavor would solve the problem. If neither of these worked, I'd ignore it until she made an official complaint, and then I'd fight it officially. If the decision came down in her favor, I'd do everything in my power to make her as unhappy as possible at work and get rid of her from that day forward. Politeness first always, but grudges are forever and forgiveness is purely in God's domain, not mine. Not a solution for everybody, and I am sure the crazy vaping apologists will think I'm a selfish jerk, but I'm ok with that.

I see it as a very ....ty (reference to .... abuse) advice

Last edited:

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
Some people just like to complain. In reality, this lady is posing more threat to her co-workers with a sneaky fart. Methane is more dangerous than nicotine.

Bet her farts are nothing compared to mine. Paint peeling occurs with the mild ones and once I go above 73% of full capability hazmat teams are called in. :D

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I see it as a very ....ty (reference to .... abuse) advice
That's fine, as I said it wasn't a solution for everyone, I tend to confront problems aggressively and head on. The beauty of forums is you get lots of different view points. For instance, I know as soon as I see your avatar that I'm probably going to disagree with everything in a post. I do, however, restrain myself from replying to them and using adjectives like ....ty. Mostly just to keep the tone positive, because I'm usually thinking it.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
This is the thing... they're all hollering about their rights... don't we have any? don't we have as much right as anyone else to do a thing that doesn't hurt anyone? How is it that all the puritans have all the rights, or that they just ASSUME that their rights trump ours? That seems very unbalanced to me

It's an interesting topic really... about the rights of vapers vs. non-vapers. It's something I thoughts about often even as a smoker.

If I remember correctly, here in New York there was a case brought to he supreme courts about the rights of smokers in open-air venues. It was specifically about state parks. And, if I am remembering right, the supreme court ruled that it was unconstitutional to ban smoking from these parks, in such venues that it is unreasonable to think second-hand smoke is doing anything but wafting up into the air. In other words, it's not harmful to bystanders when it's outside.

I don't know if this case "stuck" or it was challenged/appealed/whatever. I'm not one to "buck the system" when it comes to smoking. If a place says "no smoking", so be it. Though I often thought it was a bit unfair, whatever.

Now, we all know (or at least strongly assume) that vaping is a whole lot safer than smoker... and that second-hand vapor is a whole lot less harmful (if even harmful at all) to bystanders. To start blanket-banning just because it LOOKS like smoke... well it's incredibly annoying. I'm all for being courteous to others... hell, I would even refrain from smoking in my house when non-smoking friends would visit if they indicated it bothered them or was a health issue. But there is a point where someone else's requests or demands are just unreasonable and discourteous to me.

I frequent the beach a LOT, all year long. I'm a bit of a beach addict. Can I just say that while I like animals and dogs, I don't like that people IGNORE the "no dogs allowed" signs at many beaches, and on top of it let their dogs poop all over the place, run the shore with a leash and generally just assume I'm okay with putting up with their pooch. I don't think their dogs are cute, and more often than not would just prefer they follow the rules. I don't want to get bit. I don't want to get jumped on and scratched. I don't want to worry about their poop litter on the sand. Its a safety issue and a convenience issue.

But I also don't go running around to every cop, every ranger, every town worker, screaming from the rooftops that dogs should just be banned everywhere. LOL

We need reasonable discussion, not hysteria, with the non-smokers/non-vapers.

Last edited:

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
I frequent the beach a LOT, all year long. I'm a bit of a beach addict. Can I just say that while I like animals and dogs, I don't like that people IGNORE the "no dogs allowed" signs at many beaches, and on top of it let their dogs poop all over the place, run the shore with a leash and generally just assume I'm okay with putting up with their pooch. I don't think their dogs are cute, and more often than not would just prefer they follow the rules. I don't want to get bit. I don't want to get jumped on and scratched. I don't want to worry about their poop litter on the sand. Its a safety issue and a convenience issue.
It's a very similar issue to vaping. If I may, I'll highlight the issue with that parallel in mind. I'm a dog owner and it is very frustrating to go on holiday (vacation) to the sea-side and find there are no beaches that I can visit because they all have no dogs allowed. Now I'm a responsible dog owner and my dog is a responsible dog that acts with maturity. I'll pick up the poop and keep the dog under control, on a leash if appropriate. But every now and again, I might be distracted and not notice that the dog has pooped behind a rock. Similarly some children have no idea how to approach a strange dog and accidents are possible. So I can see that some busy family-oriented beaches might want to ban dogs. From your experience, there are obviously some dog owners who disregard others and bring us all into disrepute. Is it right that because of this, I should not be allowed to enjoy a nearly deserted beach with few children where my dog and I can easily not cause anyone any distress?

Similarly with vaping, should we not be acting at all times to keep our activity from affecting the non-vapers around us? Just because vaping is allowed, is it right to be blowing huge clouds and loudly proclaiming our rights? As a dog owner I know that if I took an ill-behaved and excitable dog to a beach where it was allowed and let him poop all over the place, annoy people and scare children, there would be a good chance that the next time I went there, dogs would be banned. On the other hand, if all the dogs that went there were well-behaved and under control, if the owners always cleared up after them, I would feel persecuted if dogs were banned due to some anti-dog propaganda.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
That's fine, as I said it wasn't a solution for everyone, I tend to confront problems aggressively and head on. The beauty of forums is you get lots of different view points. For instance, I know as soon as I see your avatar that I'm probably going to disagree with everything in a post. I do, however, restrain myself from replying to them and using adjectives like ....ty. Mostly just to keep the tone positive, because I'm usually thinking it.

To keep tone positive, please avoid ....ty recommendations.

Alien Traveler, proud owner of the above mentioned avatar.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
It's a very similar issue to vaping. If I may, I'll highlight the issue with that parallel in mind. I'm a dog owner and it is very frustrating to go on holiday (vacation) to the sea-side and find there are no beaches that I can visit because they all have no dogs allowed. Now I'm a responsible dog owner and my dog is a responsible dog that acts with maturity. I'll pick up the poop and keep the dog under control, on a leash if appropriate. But every now and again, I might be distracted and not notice that the dog has pooped behind a rock. Similarly some children have no idea how to approach a strange dog and accidents are possible. So I can see that some busy family-oriented beaches might want to ban dogs. From your experience, there are obviously some dog owners who disregard others and bring us all into disrepute. Is it right that because of this, I should not be allowed to enjoy a nearly deserted beach with few children where my dog and I can easily not cause anyone any distress?

Similarly with vaping, should we not be acting at all times to keep our activity from affecting the non-vapers around us? Just because vaping is allowed, is it right to be blowing huge clouds and loudly proclaiming our rights? As a dog owner I know that if I took an ill-behaved and excitable dog to a beach where it was allowed and let him poop all over the place, annoy people and scare children, there would be a good chance that the next time I went there, dogs would be banned. On the other hand, if all the dogs that went there were well-behaved and under control, if the owners always cleared up after them, I would feel persecuted if dogs were banned due to some anti-dog propaganda.

An excellent analogy -- should ALL vapers be penalized because there are a few idiots exhaling whipped cream into the air and annoying people? I don't think so, but I bet we will be, just BECAUSE there are those idiots who want to exhale whipped cream instead of anything reasonably resembling vapor.

Andria

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
I don't vape at my desk at work, even if I could. No one around me smoked, so I won't subject them to second hand vape, even if it's perfectly safe. I'm perfectly capable of getting up and going somewhere to vape where no one would have to be concerned for their safety.

I'm sorry, but I think we feel we have the right to inflict our addictions on others, even if there's no proof our addictions could in any way harm them. It's just common consideration to not exhale vapor in the workplace, especially if someone objects.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
In a lot of these "discussions" there is a mention of nicotine and right away it is pointed out that, correctly, it is not known to cause cancer. Some things are selcom mentioned.

it is known to be addictive, anyone who has tried to quit smoking can attest along with several studies, and it is a poison, It has been sold to kill insects and if you get some in a high enough concentration on your skin it can kill you.

I can certainly see a rational person not wanting to breath an addictive poison.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Seriously? Let's just look at this with some semblance of critical thinking. Any time you put the word "may" in front of the phrase "in fact" EVERYONE's BS alarms should go off. It is impossible for anyone to prove that vaped exhaled breathe could be beneficial. This is a ridiculous assertion and should be classified as the 'misinformation' we so vehemently decry.
Yeah, seriously.

Nicotine improves memory, concentration, and attention.
Nobody I am aware of disputes this.

And it appears very likely that it can help prevent Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

The sad part is that there are no studies showing that bystanders will get any appreciable amount of nicotine from what we exhale.
Their loss if you ask me.

And propylene glycol kills germs, fungus, and bacteria.

I am not the least bit hesitant to propose that what I exhale is more likely GOOD for bystanders than it is bad for them.
And I am quite certain that science will back me up in that assertion, as I have read pretty much all of it.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster

Wow. You would actually put effort into sabotaging someone's livelihood in order to support your habit. That's all kinds of messed up. Bad doggy!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I really don't care if vaping gets banned in the work place, restaurants, the mall, movie theater... etc. I work from home and spend my free time out getting fresh air. Won't affect me one bit, I can go without vaping for a few hours when out in public or at a clients site. I choose not to vape in public buildings out of respect of others. What gives me the right to subject other people or children to my choice or habit? The only real answer to that question is... the laws haven't caught up to us yet. Key word is yet, the clock is ticking.
That's fine, I guess, as long as you realize that the same restrictions are being put on places you think it would be wrong...

--Public beaches
--Public parks
--Entire outdoor venues such as fairs or sporting events or concerts
--Entire university campuses
--Entire housing complexes

If you're good with that, then I guess you still won't have any concerns or complaints.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
Yeah, seriously.

Nicotine improves memory, concentration, and attention.

And it appears very likely that it can help prevent Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

The sad part is that there are no studies showing that bystanders will get any appreciable amount of nicotine from what we exhale.
Their loss if you ask me.

And propylene glycol kills germs, fungus, and bacteria.

I am not the least bit hesitant to propose that what I exhale is more likely GOOD for bystanders than it is bad for them.
And I am quite certain that science will back me up in that assertion, as I have read pretty much all of it.

Haha! This is great. Vaping is your religion. I now get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread