• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
I had 2 orders from China with ems, does this mean I have now lost them?

Not happy but guess there's nothing I can do?

What did they contain? What vendor did they come from so other people can avoid them? They probably marked something about ecigs or ejuice on the customs paperwork, instead of putting something harmless on them. Customs should send you a letter. If they are products not allowed in the Kingdom they will probably be returned or destroyed (not sure). There is Thai customs tracking at the URL below. Maybe it will give you more information. Use the EMS tracking number.

https://e-tracking.customs.go.th/ETS/Ent/TrackingParcelServlet

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
If it was juice you should buy it from Europe and make sure each shipment is under 2Kg. They still use Small Packet Air service which does not require a customs form for packages under 2Kgs. The U.S. stopped using that service and makes people use First Class International which requires a customs declaration. From Thailand packages under 2Kg are also sent by small packet air service and no customs declaration is required or used. You need to get your juice by small packet air with no customs form. Those types of packages are barely looked at due to the huge volume of incoming mail and almost always get right through.

Maka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2012
High on Vaping
Yes, this was really a mistake on my side, I have had many smaller packages arrive no problems.
I decided I wanted to place 2 big orders, juice, bats, big mod kits and so on.
Looks like I made a mistake.

My main problem is though will my address and name be marked for even future small orders?
Should I use a different address and name from now on?

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Yes, this was really a mistake on my side, I have had many smaller packages arrive no problems.
I decided I wanted to place 2 big orders, juice, bats, big mod kits and so on.
Looks like I made a mistake.

My main problem is though will my address and name be marked for even future small orders?
Should I use a different address and name from now on?

I don't think you need to worry. The smaller packages are barely glanced at and usually scan out of Laksi within hours of the acceptance scan. Even EMS would not be viable with a list of names to look for. I think you are okay. If you are paranoid you can use another name and address but I don't really think that is necessary. Just curious did the package show an acceptance scan and then the customs scan? How long was the time between the acceptance scan at the EMS center in Laksi and the customs seizure scan?

My guess is that the Post Office will deliver you a notice from customs tomorrow or the next day advising you of the seizure with information on how to get it released in a certain amount of time. If you don't respond then it should be returned to the sender after the response period has passed. Since ejuice is technically illegal in Thailand I don't think getting it released from customs is going to be a viable option. Since it should eventually get back to the sender you should request a refund. PayPal requires that shipments are recorded as delivered to the recipient so if the vendor starts acting like an ... you could also file a PayPal complaint for non delivery and most likely get your money back.

I have had items that customs decided I owed duties on. They hold those at your delivery post office in a customs impound area and you are sent a notice with how much money to pay. You go to the post office, pay the amount on the notice (30% of value decided by customs plus 7% vat) and a postal collection fee of 20 baht and you get the package right away.

Also, keep in mind that anything with a large declared value (over 1,000 baht equivalent) is subject to 30% duty based on estimated value plus 7% vat. Anything that comes in EMS, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc. with a large declared value is going to be inspected by customs to assess the fee. You should never buy ecig products with any declared value over 1,000 baht in order to avoid a customs inspection. If a customs form is required ejuice can be listed as "food flavoring" and other items can simply be listed as "electronics." Always get the seller to put a generic description and low value if customs paperwork is required.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you can get your money back.

Last edited:

Maka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2012
High on Vaping
Thanks for the reply mate.
So, where does it say that e juice is ilegal? also the actual batteries and mods?
These aren't the 'e cigarette' looking things, they are vaping devices
I have searched on the net and can't find where this is not legal.

So you think they will send it back to China?
I haven't asked the vendor but I feel they won't give a refund, I wonder if I filed a PayPal dispute that would work?

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Thanks for the reply mate.
So, where does it say that e juice is ilegal? also the actual batteries and mods?
These aren't the 'e cigarette' looking things, they are vaping devices
I have searched on the net and can't find where this is not legal.

So you think they will send it back to China?
I haven't asked the vendor but I feel they won't give a refund, I wonder if I filed a PayPal dispute that would work?

If you file a PayPal dispute and escalate it to a claim for non delivery, you should win. You did not receive the items and PayPal requires proof of delivery to the customer. Thailand passed a law (prob over 5 years ago) making nicotine juice and ecigs illegal in the Kingdom. Technically the vaping devices are simply electronics and up to customs whether they want to seize it or not. Batteries are legal but when a shipment is seized for containing an illegal item everything is seized, not just the illegal items. Eventually, it should be returned to the vendor. The only type of things that are destroyed are very illegal products like illegal drugs, etc.

Also, right now there is an international ban on shipping Li-Ion batteries by International Mail by order of the International Postal Union. Many vendors ignore this but that does not negate the fact that such shipments are currently not allowed. There have been hundreds of reported cases of Li-Ion batteries venting and exploding during transport due to improper packaging and handling. In the U.S. last year alone the FAA has 132 cases on file of Li-Ion battery incidents on airplanes. Until the IPU promulgates rules about safe transport of Li-Ion batteries the only way to legally mail them is if they are installed in a device such as a computer, smartphone, etc.

Last edited:

Maka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2012
High on Vaping
2012-11-18 17:01:00 DONGGUAN Posting
2012-11-18 18:14:00 WANJIANG Despatch from Sorting Center
2012-11-18 19:05:00 DONGGUAN Arrival at Sorting Center
2012-11-18 20:29:00 DONGGUAN Despatch from Sorting Center
2012-11-18 22:34:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
2012-11-18 23:05:00 GUANGZHOU Handed over to Customs
2012-11-19 00:30:00 GUANGZHOU Released from Customs
2012-11-19 00:34:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2012-11-20 05:17:00 KINGDOM OF THAILAND BANGKOK EMS CENTRE Arrival at Sorting Center
2012-11-20 11:59:00 KINGDOM OF THAILAND TH10020 Delivery
The 'Delivery' was the final part, as at the top it shows:
Your item was delivered(KINGDOM OF THAILAND TH10020) at 2012-11-20 11:59:00
Signed for by:SEIZED BY CUSTOMS
Same on the Thai ems tracking site:
November 20, 2012
08:04:57 Bangkok EMS Centre Out for Delivery
November 20, 2012
09:00-11:59 Bangkok EMS Centre Delivery Status Successful Recipient Name
Delivery Date : November 20, 2012
Delivery Time : 09:00-11:59
Signature Name : SEIZED by customs ELECTROSNIC CIGARETTE..
Org Name : Bangkok EMS Centre
Type Of Scan : Successful

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Here is one article. You can Google for more. I have highlighted the pertinent section.

Alternative cigarette raises concerns - Nationmultimedia.com

Alternative cigarette raises concerns
By The nation
Published on June 29, 2009

Authorities will have to watch out for nicotine gel, an alternative cigarette that looks set to attract smokers but may be harmful to health. By just rubbing the gel in one's hands, one will be able to experience having a cigarette within 30 seconds.

The nicotine gel is touted as a solution to people who feel the urge to smoke in smoking-free places.

"The problem is that there is no research to confirm that this product is really safe," Thailand Health Promotion Institute president Dr Hatai Chitanondh said yesterday, "This is not a certified quit-smoking product."

According to him, the nicotine gel is already available at more than 400 retail shops in Malaysia. Despite its ban in Thailand, the product has the potential to find its way to Thai smokers via Internet advertisements.

"So, we need to monitor the product movement closely," Hatai said, a veteran crusader against smoking.

Hatai said the gel could make people take in too much nicotine before they realise it.

"Possible side-effects are higher blood pressure and faster heartbeat rate," he pointed out. "Such side-effects could be dangerous in people who have underlying diseases".

Hatai said he had heard that the nicotine-gel manufacturer had planned to introduce it in Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, India, Brunei, Australia, New Zealand and Vietnam.

Thailand has also banned the sale of electronic cigarettes. Made of stainless steel, the e-cigarette has a chamber for storing liquid nicotine in various concentrations and it is powered by a rechargeable battery and resembles a real cigarette. Users puff on it as they would a real cigarette, but they do not light it, and it produces no smoke. Rather, it produces a fine, heated mist, which is absorbed into the lungs.

Companies often market electronic cigarettes as a healthier alternative to tobacco smoking.

However, the World Health Organisation last year issued a release warning it does not consider the electronic cigarette to be a legitimate smoking cessation aid.

WHO said it had no scientific evidence to confirm the product's safety and efficacy.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
The 'Delivery' was the final part, as at the top it shows:

Same on the Thai ems tracking site:

Was there an acceptance scan and any other scans before the out for delivery scan on the Thai Post tracking? Can you post the entire Thai Post tracking history? The out for delivery from the EMS center is a red flag. Normally there is a dispatch scan where it is sent to your local post office before an out for delivery scan. If the customs form said ecigs on it then Thai Post just straight away turned it over to customs as an illegal import.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
It never got scanned, as i posted is how it shows on both ems sites.
The vendor said they only put 'electronic parts' on the custom forms.

But if it had a value more than 1,000 baht or if the boxes were large and sent EMS guaranteed to be opened for inspection.

Here is how Thailand banned them. Happened back in March 2010.

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Ministry of Public Health bans the import and sale of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) in Thailand. It warns the cigarettes contained more nicotine than normal ones.

According to Deputy Public Health Minister Phansiri Kullanartsiri, smoking one e-cigarette is be equivalent to smoking 15 normal cigarettes.

The 1992 Tobacco Products Control Act, 1967 Drug Act and 1926 Customs Act will be used to control e-cigarettes in the Kingdom. Violators will be subject to both fine and imprisonment.

The deputy minister regarded e-cigarettes as a new threat to health although they imitated scents such as chocolate and fruits. She warned that smoking them without the supervision of doctors could harm the heart and blood vessel.

E-cigarettes are now very popular among teenagers in the northern province of Chiang Rai. They can be purchased online at 2,500 THB each. Advertisements claim that they can help quit smoking.

E-cigarettes are forbidden in many countries such as the Victoria state of Austrialia, Brazil, Israel, Jordan and Turkey. There has been no research proving the cigarettes can help quit smoking.

Last edited:

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Now it has been 'Seized by customs' is it impossible to get the 2 parcels from them?

If you get a notice in the mail it will give you info. You can also call the Custom's HQ in Khlong Toei and try to speak with someone there. They might let you retrieve the legal items like batteries but surely won't let you take the ejuice or mods. I think you are better off contacting them and asking them to return the packages to the sender so you can get a refund. Thai customs number is 1164. You can also call 02-215-0966-8 (last time I called person at ext. 21 spoke English and was very helpful answering my questions).

charkohl

Sep 21, 2012
JayBee/YCN
Oh dear... I hope you get it resolve one way or another Maka...
I've had a similar incident where I am just 12 hours ago and I had to brave the officers with my new shipment of liqs.. Apparently what Jackbox said applies to me too it was the obvious quantity and and a bs commercial value declaration just to avoid the local tax.
Good luck mate!

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Oh dear... I hope you get it resolve one way or another Maka...
I've had a similar incident where I am just 12 hours ago and I had to brave the officers with my new shipment of liqs.. Apparently what Jackbox said applies to me too it was the obvious quantity and and a bs commercial value declaration just to avoid the local tax.
Good luck mate!

What do you mean by "I had to brave the officers with my new shipment of liqs?" Did you contact customs and get your shipment, or was it just a value declaration and you had to pay duties, VAT and 20 baht collection fee to the post office?

charkohl

Sep 21, 2012
JayBee/YCN
What do you mean by "I had to brave the officers with my new shipment of liqs?" Did you contact customs and get your shipment, or was it just a value declaration and you had to pay duties, VAT and 20 baht collection fee to the post office?

The courier service sent a letter, hence I had to report to the postal office. Printed me another advice letter to meet the custom officer...and well they knew what it was. All I had to do is show the actual price and pay the duties. Thing is Jackbox, it's not in Thailand..my situation is somewhere else in South East Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread