• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
The courier service sent a letter, hence I had to report to the postal office. Printed me another advice letter to meet the custom officer...and well they knew what it was. All I had to do is show the actual price and pay the duties. Thing is Jackbox, it's not in Thailand..my situation is somewhere else in South East Asia.

Ok, that makes more sense now. In Thailand if they open the box and believe the shipment was undervalued they just make a value estimation and the post office holds the package, gives you a duty notice and you pay it at the post office. If the goods are not allowed in Thailand then customs seizes them and there is no chance of getting them since they are not allowed here. Sounds like in your country the post office doesn't collect duties owed.

charkohl

Sep 21, 2012
JayBee/YCN
Ok, that makes more sense now. In Thailand if they open the box and believe the shipment was undervalued they just make a value estimation and the post office holds the package, gives you a duty notice and you pay it at the post office. If the goods are not allowed in Thailand then customs seizes them and there is no chance of getting them since they are not allowed here. Sounds like in your country the post office doesn't collect duties owed.

Yeah Jackbox, the local post offices are not allowed to collect duties. Only international courier services can handle that but there will be an additional handling charge which is fixed. Where I am at, the custom seizes the items if the commercial value doesn't justify the physical quantity . Then comes the tax. The most sensitive case here is actually medicinal products, which will be surrendered to the health board for further checks. Ironically the juices doesn't fall into that category.
O well each has his own ways of seeing and dealing with things I hope the situation there isn't that intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread