Shopping For A Mod (Provari) & Backup (???) That use the same battery type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I've pretty much decided to buy a big battery mod. I really like the Provari with 2year warranty.
Is there any reason NOT to get one of these (other than the expense of it)? I know it's big and heavy...but it also has the meters built in, a nice long warranty, and can be dialed up or down to use with almost anything right?

I'm thinking I'll like it better with a couple of the shorter 18490 IMR batteries but I'll probably go ahead and get at least one of the 18650s and cap too.

OK, lets say I get this Provari...I think a backup of some kind would be a good idea in case it has to be sent in for repairs or gets 'lost/stolen'. Thing is, I don't want to have to get more batteries and chargers of different sizes.

Is there a less expensive NON-VV mod that takes the same 18490 IMR battery as a Provari?

If there aren't any other 18490 mods out there...could I get a RoughStack Maxi (or some other 18xxx0 mod) and use an 18490 IMR with some kind of spacer in it, or would it HAVE to be the 18650 size?

Provided it's safe/possible...Would the IMR type battery work at 3.7v in a non regulated mod like the RoughStack, or would it be a higher voltage?

Thanks much!

Last edited:

xerais

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2011
Dayton, OH
I can only speak to the Provari, it's an amazing PV and I really enjoy mine. I got the special edition chrome one and it shipped the day after I ordered it (even though the site said 2-3 week wait time).

The only issue I've ran into is not being able to put more than 3.9 volts into the new dual coil cartos. I used a different VV PV I have to crank 6v's into them. It is heavy but I like that, it feels very sturdy in my hand. I don't take it out of the house though, because of it's size and weight (I use the 18650's with extended cap).

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I can only speak to the Provari, it's an amazing PV and I really enjoy mine. I got the special edition chrome one and it shipped the day after I ordered it (even though the site said 2-3 week wait time).

The only issue I've ran into is not being able to put more than 3.9 volts into the new dual coil cartos. I used a different VV PV I have to crank 6v's into them. It is heavy but I like that, it feels very sturdy in my hand. I don't take it out of the house though, because of it's size and weight (I use the 18650's with extended cap).

Do the dual coils at high voltage help with flavor, or is that mainly for more vapor/TH/nic ? If I try that carto type...will I really need it past 3.9v?

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
Do the dual coils at high voltage help with flavor, or is that mainly for more vapor/TH/nic ? If I try that carto type...will I really need it past 3.9v?

they hit quite nice on the RS using the AW 18650. its gives you a better hit than if you were using a *****fire batt cos the 1.5 dual coil carto requires more amps from the batt and the AW can handle it.
the 18500 wouldn't fit on the RS unless you could come up with a spacer.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
they hit quite nice on the RS using the AW 18650. its gives you a better hit than if you were using a *****fire batt cos the 1.5 dual coil carto requires more amps from the batt and the AW can handle it.
the 18500 wouldn't fit on the RS unless you could come up with a spacer.

On the RoughStack does the IMR battery type run at 3.7v or something higher?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
ProVari is a good mod, but IMO the Darwin shines brighter.....and Evolv's customer service is hands-down the BEST......standard 2 year warrantee, 1 year battery warrantee.....more user friendly.....no button to push 5 to 15 times to change settings.....just my 2-cents worth.....

What's the wait time to get one of these?

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
On the RoughStack does the IMR battery type run at 3.7v or something higher?

3.7 batteries will run at 4.2v or just under fresh off the charger. IMR is not different in that respect, the difference is IMR is capable of a higher current draw which also means they don't last as long in between charges but that's generally a small price to pay for a more capable battery.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I'd forget about 18490 and get the 18650 extension... longer lasting, and easier to find a pv that fits batts.

there are many li-ion 18650's. so you'll be better getting button tops ..or better yet stick with recommended IMR's.

provari is easier to use than darwin imo... and the customer service on both are equal imo, and the warranties.

i've had both. the darwin can take you to higher voltage vaping than the vari, (might service LR's too, not sure) but for 2 to 4.5 Ohm the vari hits the large spectrum.

some little glitches in darwin design (no drip well, button hard to press, leaks onto the dial) is a small price to pay for the extra watt range, but for a state of the art, easy to use, reliable regulated power VV, Provari's my choice.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Took the plunge and offered to buy a barely opened and used Darwin here on ECF, so provided that deal works out I'm set. These seem kind of hard to come by so I'm jumping on it while I can. Seller states he's using the money get a second ProVari.

I'm a big Stock CE2 fan more so than dripping (fill a hand full of the metal ones with different flavors and strengths and just pull one from the bundle...refill them all once or twice a week).

What the heck right? If I don't like it it shouldn't be hard to trade or sell. I might treat myself to a Provari in a few months as well, but I liked that this is plug and play with the laptop type battery wired in (my house is cluttered with e-junk as it is)....and can serve as a kind of regulated passthrough as well.

Thanks to all for the heads up on the 18xx0 battery. I'll keep that in mind for sure on a possible back-up PV.

Last edited:

silentt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Virginia
I hope you enjoy! Only reason i didn't buy a Darwin was the over dripping.. not having a drip cup etc. I do own a bunch of goose necks so that really shouldn't be a problem but I also already bought the Provari. The VV part of these mods are great and I love checking the resistance on the fly.. anyways you will be happy.. if not you could easily sell it.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I hope you enjoy! Only reason i didn't buy a Darwin was the over dripping.. not having a drip cup etc. I do own a bunch of goose necks so that really shouldn't be a problem but I also already bought the Provari. The VV part of these mods are great and I love checking the resistance on the fly.. anyways you will be happy.. if not you could easily sell it.

Are goose necks hard to find pre-made? I haven't noticed them popping up in my e-cig shopping of late.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Had my provari for a long time now, always love it, and always will. Bought a darwin, just because of all the hype, sold it after a few weeks, it was too delicate, juice goes inside the unit, and a waste money. Used that money to buy me a 2nd provari (Chrome).

That's what is great about vaping....personal preference is the key......if it is a ProVari, great, if its a Darwin, thats great also....vape on.......

As I said, the Vari is a good mod but your statement about the Darwin being a waste of money is incorrect and "slamming the Darwin" does not make the Vari any better, just says you like the Vari better.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread