Small dent in two 18650 Sony VTC5 battery after dropping Wismec RX200

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
Hi everyone,

First post, and I'm really hoping a few of you would be willing to give your opinion on this problem I may have. My RX200 took a fall onto a concrete garage floor from about 20 inches off the ground last night. The RX200 did not have a case on it, and when it fell the battery cover came off and 2 out of the 3 Sony VTC5 18650 batteries in it flew out. I notice now that one of the ones that came out has a dent in it, and the one that stayed in the battery sled also has a dent in it. I don't know what the batteries hit to create these specific dents, but it looks like a sharp edge of something made the dent, and it probably wasn't just from hitting the ground. I'm thinking that it slammed against the mod or battery cover somehow. One dent is on the side about 1/4 inch from the bottom negative terminal, and the other battery's dent is also on the side and around 1/16 inch from the bottom negative terminal. Here are the pics:

Dented battery that remained in the RX200 Sled (In the 3rd pic, the shiny part is the dent):
IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

And this was the dented battery of the one that flew out (looks like a very specific small square indent):
IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

Should I completely condemn these batteries? Should I de-wrap them and have a better look? I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether or not a small dent like that would automatically make the battery no longer wise to use. I've read a few posts here and there about the topic, but the dents were worse and not in the same locations as mine. I hope to get a few opinions. I fully expect there to be some "why risk it" assessments, but I just wanted to see what some of you thought before I go out and buy a new set of triple 18650's for it. I appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. And what about the 3rd battery that also flew out, but did not receive a dent? Should I condemn that one too and get rid of all 3? I checked it up and down for dents and it looks good. I'm just thinking that if the mod and the other batteries took an apparently hard enough fall for those dents to happen, then the non-dented battery may have also been slammed hard, and if caution is king here maybe I should toss that one too. These three batteries are fairly new, purchased from Illumn, and have only maybe 5 charge cycles on them so far. I really don't know what to do, but I'm guessing that if I get any feedback at all it won't be positive. Thanks again.

Mike

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
They may be OK to use as long as the cylinder itself isn't punctured in any way BUT, they may not.

If your buying from Illumn (which I highly recommend BTW) then that's under $20 worth of batteries, a small price to pay for peace of mind, especially with a married set.

I'm not sure if a jolt like that could cause internal damage which would effect their safety, @Mooch or @Baditude may be able to give you more specific information.

I would definitely err on the side of caution. Worst case scenario if you replace them is you are out about $20, worse case scenario if you don't is you are out a whole lot more than that.

Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: mike910mx

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
They may be OK to use as long as the cylinder itself isn't punctured in any way BUT, they may not.

If your buying from Illumn (which I highly recommend BTW) then that's under $20 worth of batteries, a small price to pay for peace of mind, especially with a married set.

I'm not sure if a jolt like that could cause internal damage which would effect their safety, @Mooch or @Baditude may be able to give you more specific information.

I would definitely err on the side of caution. Worst case scenario if you replace them is you are out about $20, worse case scenario if you don't is you are out a whole lot more than that.

Welcome to the forum :)

Cool. I guess that's what it all really comes down to, peace of mind. They're just so new and pretty I hate the idea of tossing them if I really don't have to. I tend to be very cautious with the batteries (i.e. rotating the triple 18650's every use, rotating them in my Nitecore D4 charger, staying 80% or below their amp continuous discharge rate while in use, etc), but most of the time I'm not even really sure why I'm doing that. Yeah I'm not sure if a jolt like that is an issue or not either. I know that I have dropped loose batteries from higher before, with no resulting dents, and continued to use them with no issues. I think what it all boils down to is what you have said. I only buy from Illumn, and triple Sony VTC5's will end up costing $26.29 shipped. I have another triple Sony VTC5 married set that I am using solely now, so I'll revisit my battery choice options. Maybe I'll take this opportunity to get triple 25amp rating batteries, or triple 30amp rating batteries. Thanks for the welcome.

Reactions: B2L

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
This is from a test Samsung does on their batteries, I don't think the small blow your batteries took is an issue but you may still want to replace.

LN5Lwh3.png

Wow those are some massive dents. And the results are "L0/OK" so Samsung deemed those batteries OK in that test? My tiny little dents are nothing compared to those. See that's the type of stuff that has me torn between tossing them or not. I'm not an expert in Lithium ion chemistry, and I don't really know what happens to a battery that receives a blow like that, versus the dents they received in my situation. Am I to be so cautious that I toss my new Sony VTC5's when there is most likely a greater likelihood that I don't have to. I was honestly leaning towards tossing the 2 dented ones, and using the 3rd non-dented battery in one of my single 18650 regulated box mods, but after seeing your post I'm back on the fence. At the end of the day it obviously just comes down to what I'm comfortable with and what I'm willing to risk. As I'm sure everyone here would say, I can't let anyone else make that decision for me when it comes to battery safety. Appreciate the testing post.

Reactions: B2L

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
Yes only you can decide if you want to use them, I was just showing the impact test. I have no idea if Sony does this also.

For sure. It's good to know that just in general, they may be more durable and able to take a hit than I had previously thought. I'm researching all of Mooch's tests right now again, for the 2nd or 3rd time, to try and zero in on which triple 18650 love triangle I want to go with next. Guess i'll dispose of the two dented Sony VTC5's.

Reactions: f1vefour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread