Smok Alien dry hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengemini

Feb 28, 2017
UK
Hey guys, I bought the baby beast tank two days ago to use with my pico, great tank, been using the q2 0.4ohm coil that came with it and also bought a back of q2 coils.

Been vaping between 45w and 55w, delicious, no dry hits, no funny taste at all.

My smok alien came today, set it all up etc, put my baby beast on it and every few hits theres a dry hit, that just tastes pure awful, then it'll taste fine, then it'll dry hit. On the smok, I'm vaping at the same temp as my pico, I've tried it between 45 and 60, and its still tasting funky. It's the B version, and firmware is the latest.

I put the tank back on the pico, and there's no dry hits whatsoever, totally confused as to what my issue could be here, any advice appreciated, thanks

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
Maybe this makes that effect?

zF5xLQ2.jpg

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Try lower watts, maybe the pico is saying it is putting out x watts but really it is y watts and the alien might say it is putting out x watts and actually is putting out x watts. As others have said you may have done the coil in. between hard/soft/min/max i go with max on my X Cube but i also run a RTA/RDTA and run in tc but for a very long time ran in watts mode and still ran that at max at ~50 watts but i would highly recommend starting lower maybe start at 35 and work your way up to 58 where you currently have it (on the alien) and see what you find for your ideal vape experience. Sounds like it is having a wicking issue so i suspect the pico is just not really putting out the wattage it is claiming.

greengemini

Feb 28, 2017
UK
I changed the coil and still got dry hits on the alien. Started out low until I got to a decent warmth and flavor, but every other hit or so was dry. No dry hits on the original pico. Bought a pico dual 200w, been Vaping on it and no dry hits on that either at high watts, same juice, same watts, same changed coil, same tank. Currently at 50w on the dual pico, no bad tastes, great flavour, but if I switch over to the alien, I'll get bad hits and if I go lower to around 40w then the vape just doesn't taste right and it's too cool for me. The alien should be able to handle the baby beast coils rated between 40 and 80. 50w isn't that high for the coils. Strange!! Do you think the alien mod is faulty? My juice is clear, and on the alien mod I noticed it turned a little amber/Brown on one side, so I cleared the juice out, put fresh juice in back on the pico dual and it tastes fine, no discoloration, no funky taste.

Think I'm just gonna bench the alien and stick with the pico dual. I've got chubby bubble apple in my baby beast right now and it tastes soooooo nice!

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
When you say dry hit are you mean no juice getting to your coil or is the mod not fireing at all? I read alien had a firmware update to stop skip fireing. If that's what's going on. If your talking about dry hits on your coil, my guess is the atomizer your using isn't made to go at higher wattage and you might want to dial the watts down. If that's not the case, try pre wetting (with juice) your coil before install. Wet with juice, then install and fill. See if that fixes your dry hit problem. Let me know.

Reactions: Eskie

Katez_Kloudz

May 20, 2017
Ok I literally just got my Alien 220 in the mail 3 hours ago and I'm having the same problem. I'm running mine at 35 watts and getting dry hits with a full tank of liquid. At first I started with 45 watts and would get dry hits so I lowered it and still having this problem. It's pissing me off bc I can't get more than 3 hits before it turning back to dry hits. I never burnt so I don't need new coil. I've heard of few people having this issue but I got it anyway bc I've heard great things as well. It figures be my luck that I'm one of those people having this problem. What to do to fix this?!?!?!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I find that the Alien has a really wonky calculation on the board. Like, I'll set it to 50W but IF it's firing at the voltage that is being displayed, it is truly firing at more like 60W. I don't know which figure is correct. Not that the other numbers on the display besides the wattage mean much at all, except to show that the device uses a really strange algorithm for the wattage-to-voltage calculation.

My simple point is, if it seems hot or you're getting dry hits, dial it down. I suspect that maybe it's firing hotter than your Pico, though frankly that still doesn't make a ton of sense as those coils should have a pretty wide working range.

Do you have any other toppers to try on your Alien?

It's so new and Quality Control isn't always SMOK's strongsuit. Maybe claim warranty if you have another working device, which you do?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Can you give us your definition of a dry hit? Generally, a dry hit means the worst, rinse my mouth out, burning cotton taste imaginable, and I'm not dramatizing (OK, maybe a little). A true dry hit generally scorches the coil bad enough that things never taste right again. Is this what's happening every third or fourth draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread