Smoke Juice Storage Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, it is now 18 months from when I first laid down the MFS 100 mg VG in the amber glass bottles in my cold room, then moved them to the freezer, where they have been for over 12 months.

Zero change to the 100 mg VG. None. Still colorless, clear, no loss of nic, no sign of O2 reaction. The juice is just as fresh and excellent as the day I got it.

On the other hand, last Christmas I pulled out the Totally Wicked 36 mg PG unflavored I also stored in their original amber glass bottles (which also had euros, BTW). This juice is chinese made and the nic is lower quality, to the extent that common tobacco compounds from less than perfect extraction methods are listed as ingredients. This juice was no longer the slight yellow it started out as. It was deep orange, and had developed a strong tobacco taste. Actually was really tasty as a tobacco juice, but I can't do PG, so they were given to someone who recently started vaping as an Xmas present. Pg is still quite liquid in the freezer, so obviously something chemical had happened. Reaction with O2 in the PG? Dunno.

The Decadent Vapor 54 mg pharm-grade nic in PG, however, which was also stored in the freezer the whole time, was unchanged. So unless they got rid of dissolved O2 in their PG, which I doubt (would require vacuum pump), even though the PG was liquid, the cold had stopped the O2-nic reaction kinetics. Otherwise it would have yellowed the juice, if not deeper.

So its now clear (and colorless!) that high-grade nic in VG is stored extremely well in glass in the freezer. High-grade nic in PG should also store great this way. I say should because I only had one type of nic in PG (DV), but I have 3 different sources of nic in VG (Vermont Vapor, MFS, and now Box Elder). They are all doing just great in the cold!

I consider this experiment now complete, and I feel confident that this is indeed the best way to store unflavored nic liquid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlantisboy

sparky_ahs

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
I thought I would add my 2c.... I just looked it up and my last post was January of 2010, I had quit using my e cig before then because of leaking issues battery problems and etc... I took all the liquid I had and put it in off-brand zip lock baggies in a cardboard box in the closet. Since then I have moved twice, the last time was in February of this year. In February I moved my liquid and what was left of my E cig stuff (buddy of mine still used his so he got most of my stuff) into a plastic lunch box type container inside a plastic storage bin located in a climate controlled storage facility.

Monday I pulled my stuff out of storage, after receiving the 510 t atomiser and tank carts to give them a try to see how things have changed (awesome by the way, ordered a joy ego kit and should be here tomorrow).

To the point... I have about 10-15 5 mil bottles of various flavoured pg all in various stages of fill and between 14mg and 24mg nic (I believe its dekang I was never 100% sure to begin with) and they all have the clarity to read the fine print on the label through the back side of the bottle when held up to the light. The bottle of Wilton glycerine is just as clear. The two 30 mil bottles (one full one with about 7-10 mil's left) were a bit harder to judge because the bottle itself is not clear, but in a 5 mil syringe it appears crystal clear.

As far as colour... well... other then the glycerine I don't have any idea if any change has occurred because they were all in various shades of yellows when I stored them.

The tastes I'm getting are not offending... but as far as that goes I'm not getting much flavour at all. I have been back on analogs (1-2 packs a day) since late 09 and currently I'm smoking all day and only vaping after work through a hard wired unregulated rigged usb passthrough... long story.... (5.1v I believe?) on a 510 tank atty standard ohm... so yeah I doubt anyone on the other end of that would get much flavour at all.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, it is now 18 months from when I first laid down the MFS 100 mg VG in the amber glass bottles in my cold room, then moved them to the freezer, where they have been for over 12 months.

Zero change to the 100 mg VG. None. Still colorless, clear, no loss of nic, no sign of O2 reaction. The juice is just as fresh and excellent as the day I got it.

On the other hand, last Christmas I pulled out the Totally Wicked 36 mg PG unflavored I also stored in their original amber glass bottles (which also had euros, BTW). This juice is chinese made and the nic is lower quality, to the extent that common tobacco compounds from less than perfect extraction methods are listed as ingredients. This juice was no longer the slight yellow it started out as. It was deep orange, and had developed a strong tobacco taste. Actually was really tasty as a tobacco juice, but I can't do PG, so they were given to someone who recently started vaping as an Xmas present. Pg is still quite liquid in the freezer, so obviously something chemical had happened. Reaction with O2 in the PG? Dunno.

The Decadent Vapor 54 mg pharm-grade nic in PG, however, which was also stored in the freezer the whole time, was unchanged. So unless they got rid of dissolved O2 in their PG, which I doubt (would require vacuum pump), even though the PG was liquid, the cold had stopped the O2-nic reaction kinetics. Otherwise it would have yellowed the juice, if not deeper.

So its now clear (and colorless!) that high-grade nic in VG is stored extremely well in glass in the freezer. High-grade nic in PG should also store great this way. I say should because I only had one type of nic in PG (DV), but I have 3 different sources of nic in VG (Vermont Vapor, MFS, and now Box Elder). They are all doing just great in the cold!

I consider this experiment now complete, and I feel confident that this is indeed the best way to store unflavored nic liquid.
Kurt its been 18 months since your last post to this thread any updates to your stored nic if you still have same batch in freezer or cold room .
Thanks

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
This is way late in responding, but my conclusion is that VG-nic, especially if unthinned, freezer-stores virtually perfectly indefinitely. I have some bottles going on 3.5 years now, and they are identical in appearance, potency and taste as the day I processed them for storage.

My results with PG-nic are mixed. I have not had any PG-nic for more than about a year or so in the freezer. One did oxidize (TW Red Label 36 mg), and was deep yellow-orange after that time. The others I have had (ECX, BE, RTS, DV) did not change at all, but other than the DV, they were all less than a year. I don't vape PG-nic, only VG-nic, so I did not really care. I know SalemGold has some PG-nics that have been unchanged in the freezer for longer than a year, so as long as the nic is high-quality I predict it will last a long time...but maybe not quite as long as VG-nic.

Moueix

Moved On
Aug 20, 2012
Michigan and Iowa
I'd like to suggest to anyone who wants to keep oxygen out of their nic concentrate, a product I have used for years with great success. It is called "Private Reserve", and is a can of compressed CO2 and Argon. I use it for keeping opened wines fresh much longer. Simply squirting it (Argon is heavier than air) into the bottle to displace the air before closing helps tremendously. There are more effective methods, but this is easiest.

Johnnysb

Moved On
Sep 25, 2013
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Linkspammer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread