Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Welcome to the new "Snails - Response on Threads Part 4 "

The time has come to split into another thread :)
This one will be known as "Snails - Response on Threads Part 4"

Link to the Previous (Part 3):https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/lounge/519118-snails-response-threads-part-3-a.html

Link to the previous (Part 2):
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/lounge/322639-snails-response-threads.html

Welcome to the new "Snails - Response on Threads "

8/10/12
We outgrew our original thread, 150K posts was just lagging us down
Response on threads, started by martha1014 on 1/26/2010
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/outside/65725-response-threads.html
Many friendships were made, crazy and wonderful times.
Joy and sorrow... practical jokes and arguments.
We stuck it out...bonded by ECF !

Please, join us...We aren't done yet !
Everyone is Welcome !

BUT BEWARE : You can never leave... !!

2wgx7ra.jpg

m9nb6e.jpg
35m4fmv.jpg
2j5j3eq.jpg
2qi7cwo.jpg
21es4nb.jpg
347ees0.jpg

Last edited:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Good morning in this thread :D (Except to "Mrs. Editorial Comment Tibs"...shouldn't you and Joan be off cleaning today like you said? :p)

Thanks for the new thread classy!

hehe! joan just rolled in - she forgot all about the switching :facepalm:

~~~~ @ frannie! and sending her the strength to overlook the hit to her pocketbook! :D

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
GF still has paper wasps.

Good news: hornets don't mess stuff up with a lot of honey.
Bad news: They didn't move...despite destroying all the nest that I could get at/see and spraying the heck out of the stuff several times and killing off a LOT of em. Queen must have survived or something in a part of the nest I can't see (in the pool heater bottom base maybe).
Bad news: She has some more in a wall in the front of the house. Going inside a small itty bitty hole near an electrical outlet. (Dang!). Tried plugging the hole and starving them out. No luck. Now she says they are going in/out somewhere else.

Going to have to call in prof help on this I think. $$ probably.

EDIT: Might try some powder first. If that doesn't work, call the professionals the next day. Now to find some powder...
Hope it's available for use in the USA, and is reasonably safe to use. The powder sticks to the bees and they bring it back to the nest.

The debate is "why kill em at all?". The answer is "because they are at locations that people need to be. They are not honey bees or endangered. They are aggressive and attack easily. Can't move em without tearing down the whole side of the house and maybe rebuilding part of it. So they 'gotta go' as they say."

Last edited:

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
The house tank took 130 gallons and the garage took 73. $691 for the damage. Not bad I suppose since we only fill once a year.

Yea, I'd say for a year's worth of oil, that's not bad at all!

GF still has paper wasps.

Good news: hornets don't mess stuff up with a lot of honey.
Bad news: They didn't move...despite destroying all the nest that I could get at/see and spraying the heck out of the stuff several times and killing off a LOT of em. Queen must have survived or something in a part of the nest I can't see (in the pool heater bottom base maybe).
Bad news: She has some more in a wall in the front of the house. Going inside a small itty bitty hole near an electrical outlet. (Dang!). Tried plugging the hole and starving them out. No luck. Now she says they are going in/out somewhere else.

Going to have to call in prof help on this I think. $$ probably.

EDIT: Might try some powder first. If that doesn't work, call the professionals the next day. Now to find some powder...
Hope it's available for use in the USA, and is reasonably safe to use. The powder sticks to the bees and they bring it back to the nest.

The debate is "why kill em at all?". The answer is "because they are at locations that people need to be. They are not honey bees or endangered. They are aggressive and attack easily. Can't move em without tearing down the whole side of the house and maybe rebuilding part of it. So they 'gotta go' as they say."

Atty, I use 'diatomaceous earth' on the perimeter of our home for all insects.....it is non-toxic and does the job. It can be found online or at any local feed store.......there is also a 'food grade' that is safe for ingesting but I would imagine you need the non food grade type.
Not sure if that would work for the bees, but maybe a google search may help!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Thanks Gracie! :)

Just so happens we have a whole box of DE. lol. One nest is by the pool filter equipment (in the pool heater). The filter is a DE filter. ;)

However, I don't know how that will get rid of the queen. Might kill a few of em that get it on them. IDK about DE for wasps. Some other critters, yeah. Will google it. :)

EDIT:
I dislike using insecticides where bees could get it and kill the bee colonies. However, I think I can keep the dust isolated to the proper areas. I think. :/

The sites I found so far say DE is only effective for in-ground or on the ground nests. But that was a pest-cotrol guy saying "call us" so.... He's probably still correct in that though. What he left out was "you may be able to use an OTC insecticide at home and not have to call us". ;)

It's only a day or 2 difference. They've probably been there all season and Attempt #1 with insecticide dust will be today. If it doesn't work, we can call them and they MAY want to rip off the siding or whatever. :ohmy:

Looking like rain though. :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread