So You Quit the Stinkers - But are you still hooked on Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
You were addicted to smoking (addiction is the correct term as there is significant potential for harm) and you are now dependent on nicotine (as smoking causes that dependence, and there is no evidence to support the consumption of nicotine has having any potential for harm on average).

People are individuals of course, so there is no 'average' when applied to a particular person; if there is any family history of vascular issues then perhaps the individual would be well advised to take care.

Nicotine (that is to say pure nicotine uncontaminated with any other tobacco compounds or additives or pyrolytic compounds) does not create tolerance. Vapers routinely reduce the amount they consume, over time, and some transition into a zero-nicotine group. This group is about 7% of vapers at any time and appears to stay constant despite people leaving due to quitting totally (so an equal number join as quit). Tolerance is a factor seen in drugs and especially dependence-creating drugs whereby the dose has to be increased over time in order to continue to get the same effect.

So if you really want to reduce the amount consumed (or of course if it begins to have unwanted effects and you have to reduce the amount), then you are likely to be able to do so - 65% did so in the last survey that reported on this. Again, many drugs and especially the 'addictive' ones do not gradually begin to have unwanted effects at comparatively low dosages and therefore need drastic dosage reductions - as vapers have clearly demonstrated that nicotine does.

Against that must be placed the fact that nicotine has significant benefits for many people in the area of cognitive function improvement, stress relief, faster initiation of tasks (as it raises the blood sugar level rapidly, like drinking orange juice) and stamina (end-of-day ability to work efficiently for example) - and that is without its protective effect against some diseases that is currently under investigation.

Some people need dietary nicotine supplementation, which is a simple enough concept to grasp. Everyone consumes nicotine in the diet, everyone tests positive for nicotine, and some need supplements.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I know for a fact that I am addicted to smoking - not the nicotine. I tried the gum,the patch,the pills, and still smoked with them all.I am now trying to vape and still can't give them up. Luckily I was down to 10 a day so hopefully once I get some WTA I can cut them off, at least that is my hope. I have quit smoking over 8 times in the 42+ years I have smoked, believe me I understand that I have a smoking addiction. Unfortunately ready mixed ejuices are too strong in flavor for me so trying to DIY also and this is my 5th week since getting my Evod starter kits. I think it is wonderful that some can just make the change without any discernable problems - I am not 1.:unsure: But I keep trying and to me that is a biggie:p

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
I know for a fact that I am addicted to smoking - not the nicotine. I tried the gum,the patch,the pills, and still smoked with them all.I am now trying to vape and still can't give them up. Luckily I was down to 10 a day so hopefully once I get some WTA I can cut them off, at least that is my hope. I have quit smoking over 8 times in the 42+ years I have smoked, believe me I understand that I have a smoking addiction. Unfortunately ready mixed ejuices are too strong in flavor for me so trying to DIY also and this is my 5th week since getting my Evod starter kits. I think it is wonderful that some can just make the change without any discernable problems - I am not 1.:unsure: But I keep trying and to me that is a biggie:p

Your experience underscores one of the main points that I made in my FDA comment: There is no single quit strategy that works for most smokers.

NRT products, as a generalization are not very flexible, nor adaptable to meeting a variety of smoker's needs, in order to quit. They provide nicotine by some method of delivery (gum, lozenge, etc). An inhaler tries to replicate the hand-to-mouth, but isn't very 'complete' in providing the desired experience.

That's why they fail 95% of the time.

Vaping on the other hand, provides the flexibility to greatly improve the chances of a smoker being able to find the just-right combination to be successful in a quit attempt.

Some times it's day 1, some times it takes a while. And some people are happy to achieve great reductions in their smoking, and vaping with a little smoking works for them!

It is all good!

Customization of nicotine levels, including WTAs, flavors, throat-hit, volume of vapor, pg/vg/pEg ratios, and the countless variations of hardware.

This unlimited flexibility is the critical success factor to vaping being a key to quitting for millions of people.

Limit the choices in any aspect of this universe of options, and that equals more people continuing to smoke!

Each one a prime candidate to fall into the 480,000 annual smoking death statistic that is so widely quoted from the Surgeon General.

And always celebrate each cigarette avoided! :thumbs:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
For me, it was the immediate dismissal of a pretty thoughtful reply, and sharing of Roly's & DC2's extensive information, education, experience and research into all things nicotine.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...t-you-still-hooked-nicotine.html#post13895896

I dunno about others, but I find it hard to believe anyone has the ability to read, absorb & integrate the extensive knowledge that Rolygate & DC2 shared in less than 50 minutes, and then summarily dismiss it as bullmanure.

But then again, maybe it's just me ...

I have no patience with that kind of ... lack of manners & intellectual engagement in a conversation

Quite observant and well stated. Funny how those who paint, to some degree, a negative picture of vaping often get a "pass" and those who have worked hard to provide good information about the various aspects of vaping are just "dismissed".

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
I just want to state, for the record, it was someone else who called "bullmanure". I wouldn't be so brash to pretend to know the facts on all this. I was clear about my thoughts on objective opinions in an earlier reply.

As an FYI, I bought 6mg nicotine juice yesterday in two of my favorite flavors. When the eRoll arrives, hopefully later today, I'm going to give it a try mixed down a little. I was glad my local shop had this "low dose" option, as I feared they only had 12mg and higher.

MrWire

Aug 14, 2014
nyc
I quit smoking analogs about 2 months ago. Was a pack a day Marlboro lights. I started using the logic e cigs and got off analogs using them, but the quality control and consistency in there cartridges and batterys were horrible. This led me to finding out about "vaping" and e juice, to be able to regulate my own nicotine content and devices..
Im in love w vaping and will never go back to analogs.

Just wanted to share my story as a first post.
Thanks everyone!

KiMB00P

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Washington
Really? What are these benefits?

http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Stop-smoking/News/The-health-benefits-of-nicotine-20140226

Nicotine increases seratonins, is a anti-anxiety, improves behavior from
those with ADHD, can be a relaxant, decreases your risk of Alzheimer's disease, and can decrease your risk for some cancers. It can improve
memory, and more. I work in a pharmacy closely with other health care professionals and many pharmacists and nicotine is not looked down upon.
The main downside of it that many of my co-workers bring up is that it is
an addictive, but IMHO, the benefits outweigh the risk and that is why I vape.

:p

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I know for a fact that I am addicted to smoking - not the nicotine. I tried the gum,the patch,the pills, and still smoked with them all.I am now trying to vape and still can't give them up.

Yes, I remember these times, when, after chewing a gum. cigarette was especially tasty…

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The health benefits of nicotine | Health24

Nicotine increases seratonins, is a anti-anxiety, improves behavior from
those with ADHD, can be a relaxant, decreases your risk of Alzheimer's disease, and can decrease your risk for some cancers. It can improve
memory, and more. I work in a pharmacy closely with other health care professionals and many pharmacists and nicotine is not looked down upon.
The main downside of it that many of my co-workers bring up is that it is
an addictive, but IMHO, the benefits outweigh the risk and that is why I vape.

:p

And as we've covered, nicotine by itself is NOT addictive; it is merely dependence-producing, much like caffeine. If you're accustomed to ANY caffeine, try going without that and see what your head feels like. :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread