spit-back

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
Yeah no spaces for me- if you wind, then wick, prime then fire you will see big bubbles form in the gaps of a spaced coil. Hence more spit back. Tightly wound, no spaces, much smaller bubbles hence less spit back. School of thought is that spaced coils give more surface area therefore more clouds, but if you look at mactechs tensioned coil winds he is getting good results with even tighter winds than I do.
Everything in vaping is down to how you like it, for me tight winds is where it's at, and spit back is minimal. YMMV, but try it out, wire is cheap.

Yeah no spaces for me- if you wind, then wick, prime then fire you will see big bubbles form in the gaps of a spaced coil. Hence more spit back. Tightly wound, no spaces, much smaller bubbles hence less spit back. School of thought is that spaced coils give more surface area therefore more clouds, but if you look at mactechs tensioned coil winds he is getting good results with even tighter winds than I do.
Everything in vaping is down to how you like it, for me tight winds is where it's at, and spit back is minimal. YMMV, but try it out, wire is cheap.
Thanks Boogawu - will make another two - I spaced 'em so that they'd sit better between the posts

.36 at 50W.... ummm yeah its gonna be hot and create spitback, try rewicking with a little less wick. the present wick is a bit tight and creating the spitting... and drop your watts a tad... :)
Ok thanks for the info. I'd heard that spitting can sometimes be caused by having the watts too low and the liquid not vapourising, so after 'tightening' (making them un-spaced) my coils and rewicking a little looser I shall lower the wattatage to around 40 and see how that goes.

BTW - this forum is awesome - so much experienced advice - and so quick too thanks all

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
spitting occurs when the liquid in the wick is heated very quickly and expands rapidly and becomes compressed inside the coil and wick... loosen the wick a tad, allow for expanding vapor to escape, reduce watts a tad to keep from overheating too quickly

I always run spaced coils to assist in the release of vapor expansion...

spitting occurs when the liquid in the wick is heated very quickly and expands rapidly and becomes compressed inside the coil and wick... loosen the wick a tad, allow for expanding vapor to escape, reduce watts a tad to keep from overheating too quickly

I always run spaced coils to assist in the release of vapor expansion...

Thanks again ... By the time I'd read this I'd wound two new 'tight' coils, wicked a little more loosely and hey presto! No more spit back and even better flavour!
Thanks a bunch anyway... I'll try spaced coils again in the future when I've got my wicking technique down. Wish me luck

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    .36 at 50W.... ummm yeah its gonna be hot and create spitback, try rewicking with a little less wick. the present wick is a bit tight and creating the spitting... and drop your watts a tad... :)

Dual claptons at 0.33 ohms, no spacing, at 140 watts here and no spitback. It's all in the coils and cotton.

Running a Twisted Messes RDA on a Sigelei 213.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread