Spool Tamer Clapton Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I found a couple youtubies about making single and fused clapton wires by simply attaching my spool of wire to the core wires and letting the spool dangle underneath. I would like to know if anyone has tried this technique. If so, what is your opinion of it and any tips for me ie; tension should be loose or very tight etc. Also, does anyone know of a better or other technique similar or not. Thanks to all.

Reactions: bwh79

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I used an old gutted Kanger Protank 3 head in much the same way as the pen-tube in the video posted above. Wire tamer on the spool (not to loose, not too tight), wire comes off the spool, in through the top of the Kanger head and out through the bottom. The center pin on the bottom of the coil head has a nice little groove in it that does a great job of holding it right against the spinning core wire. Then it's as simple as, support the other end of the core wire with my free hand, and ramp the drill up to max RPM. It was actually so easy I blew through all the rest of my spool before I even realized it. I'm really digging on this Clapton thing, I think I need to get me some more of it.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I also use a empty protank head. I made some DIY bobbin threaders from youtube and have them tight enough so its difficult to dispense the wire. Made a wood jig to clamp onto my desk to hold the core wire with the drill standing up, use quality spinners or your work bucks and twitches as your coiling. I only make @10 inches of clapton at a time, enough for 2 builds. IMO its very difficult to maintain a consistent tight wrap using your hand to hold the spool, trying to follow the wrap with one eye and the spool with the other eye. The PT head eliminates the need to watch the wrap so it doesn't overlap. If it does(mostly from bouncing core wire from not being in the center and spinning too fast) then back off some of the wraps then continue again. Once you get the clapton going then one hand to hold the drill switch and the other to stop the wire from bouncing if you don't have it exactly in the center of the chuck, I never have to touch the spool until your finished and overlaping a few end wraps to secure. It makes great claptons that the wraps don't space out some as your building the coil.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I bought the Daedalus which is a motor for turning the wire and a spool holder that is pushed back and feeds the outer wire along the rotating wire. I used wheels and someone else used paper clips to reduce the friction so the spool holder could slide as it should. Here is a link:

Stainless Steel wire is great since it just needs to be burnt and its clean.

Reactions: Eskie

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I actually tried using an electric drill but it's slowest speed ran to fast for me. I used another elec drill and ran it off two 12 volt batteries with a foot switch for on off and speed control. I saw the Daedulas for 47 and got that instead of spending time on the make it yourself. I just put a .40 ohm coil in the Smok TFV8 and it's working great. I'm used to twisting 32 gauge wires to get the correct resistance rather than going to the next size wire, maybe this also acts as a wick. I think I may try this again, about 5 32 gauge wires twisted and then a 32 gauge outer wrap, I'll use a spring loaded swivel.
Thanks for putting the videos in, it helped explain and I enjoyed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread