SS Coil Build For Sub Ohm in TC Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
I use 316L stainless steel for my coils. Pretty much all preflight guidelines for kanthal apply to 316L; make sure the coil heats evenly before you wick it. Once you have wicked your coil, hotspots will persist until the coil has oxidized from heating, so get it taken care of before it spoils your wick.

I build my coils to produce my desired heat flux at 4.0 volts; this ensures the buck/boost circuitry in the mod doesn't have to do much voltage adjustment, and i can use the atomizer on a mech without a rebuild and still get a good vape.

I know i don't make myself popular with this opinion, but while complex coil builds look awesome and are rewarding to build, the extra coil mass only increases ramp up time and takes longer to cool once you have released the power. The extra wire surface area is a red herring; once the coil has heated to the point of vaporizing juice it is too hot for vaporization to be taking place at the coil surface- it happens in the wick.

TL;DR run naked wire and perfect your wicking technique.

Reactions: VHRB2014

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I'd like to switch from nickel coils to stainless steel coils, I'm using a Vaporesso Gemini tank, I actually have three two being used and the third to make the change. The biggest thing at this time is the size of the coils, I'm going from a twisted pair of 32 guage nickel to 4 twisted 26 gauge stainless steel which is pretty large.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I'm using a Eleaf vaporizer that uses a .3 ohm coil, after 3 tries of making a coil I came up with 8 strands of 32 gauge stainless and 1 strand of 28 gauge twisted. I use 11 turns to make the coils. Each coil is about 6 ohms and in parallel I get the 3 ohms. Big coils compared to the nickel, next I have to see what needs to be done to get the cover on without shorting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread