Suggestions for a "best flavor" single coil tank? (I think?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi all!
I have been a tank vaper from the start (it will be four years after Christmas)... I am too lazy to drip:facepalm:. I haven't really been a cloud chaser, but have found myself falling into "the bigger, more powerful, newer; must equal better flavor" mentality. All that has led to is more juice consumption, no noticeable change in flavor perception, and a heavier feeling in my chest.

So, now, I am thinking about trying the other direction. Single coil, maybe even higher nic (my chain vaping is beginning to become obnoxious even to me), and focusing solely on flavor performance.

Here is where I am at:
  • I DIY my own e-liquid (I have for over the last two years).
  • I wrap my own simple coils (basic contact, and non-contact, coils). I have experimented with purchased pre-wrapped advanced coils (clapton, fused clapton, alien, twisted, and parallel coils).
  • I currently vape direct-to-lung, but am open to mouth-to-lung, if I can get my nic level dialed in.
Here is what I think I am looking for:
  • MUST be rebuildable. I am a cheap bugger; and I am not willing to shell out $3.00+ for factory coil heads.
  • Single coil only/priority. I have several different tanks that offer "dual/single coil compatibility" but they all pale in single coil mode. (This includes the original GeekVape Avocado in single coil mode)
  • Adjustable airflow control. During my journey of DIY, I have learned that different recipes benefit from different airflow, as well as different power settings.
  • Build deck accessibility. Lower priority; but always "easier" is better than "harder."
I don't think I care about:
  • DTL vs. MTL. My sole interest is getting the optimal flavor out of any given e-liquid.
  • Juice flow control. Other than slowing/stopping flooding during filling; I have never found this a needed/beneficial feature.
  • Appearance. I am not interested in "style." I am willing to put the "ugliest thing on the block" on my mod... if it will give me the best flavor.
  • Capacity. I am not worried if it holds 2mL, or 6mL, as long as it give me the best flavor. (Yes; dripping is still out!!)
So, with that as the general starting point, what would you suggest? Am I totally off base about single coils being able to provide good flavor? I am wide open to suggestions. I am just looking to increase flavor, while decreasing juice consumption.

Thank you, in advance, for all your help.:D

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Wotofo's Serpent Mini & Serpent SMM would be my recommendations to you... :cool:

I don't know if they are "the best" flavor RTA's available, as I haven't tried that many, but out of the one's I've tried, they are "the best". Great value, performance & flavor for me. I am more than satisfied and have several of each, in rotation & in the stash. I don't feel the need to look for anything new... :D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I guess you could try any of the Kayfun clones if you really want to RTA with a single build deck. The flavor is good, and it's an easy setup, if you are interested in that. There's also a doggystyle clone that people seem to like for MTL. The Vandy vape berserker is getting decent reviews for MTL, though some folks have needed to drill out the airholes some as it really is a tight draw. I guess the new Siren is liked by some folks, etc. Tons of options, and I think most of the above are known to be good flavor, single coil and simple build.... Kayfun prime might be an option if you are willing to shell out some money, but I'd personally try some of the less expensive tanks first to get a sense of if you are going to like them or not....

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OBS Engine, easy as anything to build on, great performance, and no leak worries. The Serpent SMM is another excellent choice with a little bit different airflow which gives really nice flavor. The Merlin (v1, the v2 just came out so no feedback yet) can also by on your short list.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Kayfun
Siren
Erl Konigin
Not necessarily in any particular order. Dig them all equally ovrrall even if for varying reasons on individual facets.
I do both MTL & DTL depending on Device.

Of course, there s always Squonking. Then, the Hadaly.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    One thing I've learned re: vaping....There is no "best" of anything (other than batteries)
    I would try building the tanks you have to a higher ohm, less wattage.
    All of the above are good suggestions.
    I would add the Lemo2, but they are getting scarce.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thank you ALL for your suggestions!:thumbs::thumbs:

Time to to start researching sources, and price checking. This calls for another spreadsheet!:laugh::lol::lol::lol:

The Coppervape Hussar is great for MTL if you buy the right version (there are two of them).
    Thanks Anna. Which is the "right version?" You neglected to mention that part.;)
    I would try building the tanks you have to a higher ohm, less wattage.
    I've actually been doing some of that. The problem is they are (for the most part) DTL tanks with chuff tops. Yeah, I can close down the airflow a bunch, but they become annoyingly noisy!:facepalm: Also, they don't lend themselves to single coil set-ups well. That said, I am trying to build over 1.1ohm duals, and closing off the airflow as much as I can; but to be honest, I am not really noticing much of a difference.:( Hence, my starting to test the waters, and see if there might be better options for me.:D

petrotech

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 9, 2015
    indiana
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread