• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Tasers... Should the police have them or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Yes, police should be allowed tasers. However, they must be held criminally responsible for any misuse. Clear policies and not wishy washy guidelines on their use must be enacted. Our dept. just came out with a whole new set of policies on taser use, including a ridiculous one that we now have to aim at the torso and not center of mass! This is supposed to help the heart problems or something.

It won't be long and tasers will only be allowed with high level aggressive/combatant subjects and edged weapons confrontations. IMHO, that is where the taser is most effective and needed.

Just an FYI, the threads in this social forum are visible and accessible by all ECF visitors.

Last edited:
I coming from a full time department who do not allow tasers would love to have them. I have been certified in the use and care of them and know what it feels like to be knocked down by one.. You don't wanna get back up for fear of getting tased again.

My department was suied in court because of an incident which was no means the officers fault. They lost $75,000 and banned tasers immediately. I look at it this way and say from experience of being hurt BAD on the street. If the taser saves one life be it police or "JERK" then it has done its job.

We have 4 officers out with "LEGITIMATE" injuries because of basically having to go hands on with criminals at various calls. We have a high latino, mexican and dominican population in PA where I work and I have maced the select few who it does nothing to... Tasers work. There are incidents where it turned bad and may have killed a few but guess what..... "DON'T .... WIT THE PO PO!!!!"

TexasRain104

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
The State of Texas, USA
Last guy I sprayed wiped it off like i had just thrown water on his face.

Had another Officer think it was funny to spray the suspect in the back seat of MY squad car. He was kicking the window and when we tried to strap his legs down he kicked a senior officer. Dont get me wrong, but did he really have to do that in the back seat of my car?

Another funny story about ... you know what this needs a thread!

EDIT: Yea, The forum is open for ECF. I decided to make it open so that we could still go to the public and the public can come to us for questions....and FYI, I have volunteered yall for questions from the public if they have any. Hell...were use to being volunteered.

Last edited:

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Tasers are MORE than justified. I'd rather patch someone up from a 'taser strike' as opposed to having to take an officer to Emerg.

First tazer call here was on a d&d. I'm kind of trying to work them out of his back, he leans back, asks ME if this is my first time taking out the barbs. Huh? So I said that yes, he was my first and I was trying to do it so it wouldn't hurt. HE leans back, RIPS them out, hands them to me and says, "There. It's easier that way. Thanks."

:lol::lol::lol: :shock:

I had around 10 patients that had been tazed. Not a one of them were any worse for wear. Couldn't say the same for the 8 I had that had had to be shot by the po po.

No brainer IMHO...

Last edited:

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Personally I strongly believe that the taser is a more effective tool than OC. In my book officer saftey is number one, especially for the guys that roll without a partner. I'd rather see my small city embroiled in a legal battle over a tasing than be a pallbearer at a police funeral or have to visit a friend in the hospital because he didn't escalate to deadly force.

Taking the taser out of an officers toolbox means there is much less room for error before an officer needs assistance becomes an officer down call. Sorry, but in my book the cop gets benefit of the doubt and is allowed to go home to mamma at the end of the shift. Afraid of lawsuits? Then train your officers and don't hire rambos and dumbasses.

I am all for tasers and other non-lethals, as well as providing the best equipment and training possible for our officers. Of course that is a double edged sword in that I believe that an officer should be held accountable for all his actions to the fullest extent of the law. They represent the law, and the community, they should be protected by both and act like the representatives they are.

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread