Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Ok for what's it's worth I work for a Police Department. I'm a ARMED SAFETY AND SECURITY OFFICER. Not a guard but an OFFICER. Ok that being said. I've been written up and repremanded for smoking in a state owned vehicle. I didn't deny it like other did but told the truth. I've been vaping less than a month. I've been turned in 3 times for it. The state of Oklahoma does not allow any tobacco products on their property. They all based their opinion on the worst report they could find. I carry at least 3 pv's all day long. 1 ego twist, 1 kGo and also a vmax. The twist hangs on a lanyard around my neck most of the time. When I've been questioned about it(yesterday I had it tucked in my shirt with a 3ml nova on the tip with my favorite ry4) They said it looked like a (OTHER STUFF) . I told the major and also the LEO on duty that it wasn't an e-cig but a personal vaporizer. It was a battery operated inhaler Just like the one I use for my breathing treatments. (I've been turned in for that also) Using a strange device makes people think the worst. The only reply I give them is to explain what it is. What it contains. And that what it does to get me off analogs. I never try to hide it but I am descret when at work that's why I tuck it in my shirt. The one that said it looked like a (OTHER STUFF) loaded with ... got the reply that he didn't even know what ... looked like let alone a (OTHER STUFF) cause I've had 5 or 6 and used them all. Then explained to them how to properly use the drug. After the looks and sighs I finally came up with. "Well that's what I've heard anyway" Arest me if you want to. I also carry a Loaded pistol every what I go. I have a License to do that issued from the state. I don't make a show of it but I will never hide it. Thank you for your time. And if your pulled over the first thing you should do is to keep your seat belt buckled and hands on the steering wheel. let them see your no harm. You also do not have to give the right to search your vehicle or home without a warrent. One of our rights under the Constitution. Look it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
"Err on the side of caution". Being pompous and flippant are negative attitudes. I want to encourage a positive attitude in everyone. I respect others, and their personal space. Some people may freak out if they see me vapin'... Like that little old lady. For all she knew, there was some punk dude next to her hitting a high-tech (OTHER STUFF).

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I'm sorry you resent my implications. Also, it wasn't meant as a personal jab at you or anyone else who vapes.

Hey, we're all in this together, and everyone has their own viewpoints.

"Err on the side of caution" equates to many as projecting the perception to the unknowing that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. If we only vape in smoking areas, not in public and sneak vape, that is the perception that is being projected. In the long fight to keep vaping from being banned nationwide, this is the perception that we DON'T want to project to the public in general.

Many of us who have been doing this for quite awhile take the position of vaping opening, almost anywhere but respectfully. (i.e. don't vape on a crowded elevator). The more we vape openly and be well prepared to educate people about vaping, the more acceptance we will garner. Acting like it is the same as smoking just supports the antz's like ASH, ALA, AHA and their position that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. If people who vape believe vaping should be treated just like smoking, the battle is already lost.

SlimXero

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
Seffner, Florida
As a CO and having several LEO friends, i can in Florida this isn't really an issue. As long as there is an LED or something similar, it shouldn't be. It's when your car is full of vapor and they can't see you that it becomes an issue here. Most LEO's know what an e-cig is (probably from having made stops and finding out, but also because cops use gas stations too), and will not hassle you about it. I know a few LEO's here that use e-cigs themselves.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I vape pretty much when and where I want. I don't worry at all while vaping in my car, even at stoplights. I carry a BB or Provari mod with me everywhere I go, so I may pull it out of my pocket for a quick toot while in the grocery store, and return it to the pocket. I've gone to professional sports games and passed right by the security people who are looking for weapons or alcohol with two APV's clearly in sight, and they pass me thru with no funny looks or words of inquiry.

Last week I went to an outdoor concert (Loverboy, Pat Benetar, and Journey) and asked the security person if she had any issue with me bringing in a couple of electronic cigarettes as I offered them for inspection, and she answered no problem at all.

Now, I do work in a hospital that has a no tobacco policy, but I still discreetly vape at my locker during breaks. My closest co-workers are aware that I do this and approve, a couple even ask me to let them try a toot. I know who to trust and who not to while at work.

My ex is a cop, and she has borrowed my starters kit a couple of times to try them out, unsuccessfully I might add. She just doesn't give them enough of a chance because they make her "cough".

I don't feel that my behavior is flaunting. I feel I am aware of my surroundings and am respectful of the laws of not smoking. Most vapors are too paranoid in my opinion. Then maybe I've just been lucky.

Well stated. And, no, you haven't been lucky, you are just using common sense. I'm in and out of courthouses many times a week and have vaped in front of many police. I've never had a problem. And the hospital where one of my daughters is an RN allows vaping for smokers prior to surgery.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I am not concerned about police at all. Sure - there are some who are over the top. It would suck to be on the receiving end of that particular policeman's attention but the more they learn - the more they learn. No other way to say it.

I am lucky to live in an area where the police are really savvy and have seen it all - but I am not going to blame the ignorant one's for their department's lack of training. I might be ...... off about being stopped by the newb offices - but in the end they will have more info to make a more informative decision next time they see something they dont understand.

I was at a concert last night and openly vaped in front of everyone. My bf and I had a nice conversation with a man behind us about our gear and the man next to me got a lesson in legal nicotine delivery systems. After a couple of minutes listening to us talk about it - the fellow next to me was all smiles and the sour look on his face disappeared.

There will always be people who have never encountered our gear before. Got to forgive em!

Hiding the gear - refusing to vape openly and ACTING like you are doing something illegal is only hurting oneself. Having said that - I too believe in being respectful of others and not vaping where smoking isnt normally allowed.

I did, however, happily vape at the outdoor concert where smoking was not allowed - but i had a good case to make. we were in the close in rows and the stage was putting off more fog machine vapor than a million vapers could have done even standing all together. there was so much vapor in the air I kept thinking how the band was missing out by not adding flavor to the fog!

Thanks for sharing. Excellent points, also.

Hypnophone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
FEMA Region VI
Here in rural North Central Texas, I have been stopped (by the TXDPS) a few times for not having a front plate (it was stolen and replaced) The thieves yanked the LP mount from the bumper, so there is nothing to mount a front plate to.
When they were doing thier visual search of the vehicle, I had three EGO 1000s, with DCTs, and XXL cartos
in a travel mug in the cupholder.
They did not say anything about my openly-displayed peevees. ...and as an addendum, due to an oversight in the Texas legislative session in '10, although it is required to have a front plate, there is no punishment for NOT having one.
They CAN use as a reason to stop you and look for other "infractions"...
:p

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I was just thinking the other day about having a t-shirt that stated

"I swear it's not a (OTHER STUFF)"

This might be a slogan to put on a bumpersticker like:

"I swear it's not a (OTHER STUFF)e"
Learn more and quit tobacco,save money and live longer
www.nameofyourfavoritevendorhere.com"

I would buy that t-shirt!!

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
"Err on the side of caution" equates to many as projecting the perception to the unknowing that vaping is as dangerous as smoking.

To me, and I can speak only for myself, "err on the side of caution" means respect other people's "boundaries". If my activities make one feel uncomfortable, I feel it is my social duty to respect that. "Respect" may mean, take a few steps away to be out of sight to vape. I do not see this as a "pushover" point of view (i.e., too paranoid or scared to vape publicly), I see it more as a sign of respect for other nonsmokers, especially people who don't know about vaping.

And when I said flippant about vaping in public, I think a lot of people know what I meant. Vaping in a movie theater and blowing out huge billows of vapor may confuse and upset others. Why do that? To "make a point"? It's, I'm sorry to say, obnoxious behavior. Especially if you know you can stealth vape.

"Blowing it in their face" because you can doesn't mean you should.

I don't mean literally blowing vapor into their face. I meant it as a metaphor.

SurReality89

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
USA
my area is a very popular medical ......... user friendly area. appearantly the local dispensaries sell devices that are pretty much exactly the same as an eGo. pretty much everyone who assumes i'm vaping something questionable, and they usually just ask me to share. which i do but i first explain it is actually nicotine and most people lose interest immediately, even cops will comment "nice vape man" but don't ever bother me even though they are sure its not a nicotine device lol. i love my state:vapor:

I haven't yet been pulled over by the police here in Australia but the bloody ripper e-cig does look a little like a "(OTHER STUFF)", especially if I don't use the cone cover that hides the cartomiser. Had a couple of looks at shopping centers and what not but I don't mind, I'm glad to be off the smokes and will gladly explain to a police officer what the device in my hand is.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
To me, and I can speak only for myself, "err on the side of caution" means respect other people's "boundaries". If my activities make one feel uncomfortable, I feel it is my social duty to respect that. "Respect" may mean, take a few steps away to be out of sight to vape. I do not see this as a "pushover" point of view (i.e., too paranoid or scared to vape publicly), I see it more as a sign of respect for other nonsmokers, especially people who don't know about vaping.

And when I said flippant about vaping in public, I think a lot of people know what I meant. Vaping in a movie theater and blowing out huge billows of vapor may confuse and upset others. Why do that? To "make a point"? It's, I'm sorry to say, obnoxious behavior. Especially if you know you can stealth vape.

"Blowing it in their face" because you can doesn't mean you should.

I don't mean literally blowing vapor into their face. I meant it as a metaphor.

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. I stated clearly that to project the best perception of vaping to the general public, we should vape openly but respectfully. For you, vaping respectfully means hiding what we do from others and/or stealth/sneak vaping (" to be out of sight to vape") There is a big difference between being "respectful" and acting like you are doing something wrong!!

And no one is advocating "blowing vaper in others faces" which is simply a straw man arguement which uses extreme examples to make a point. Vaping openly but respectfully is exactly the opposite of this position. But it is also not the other extreme (your position) which is too hide vaping from others in the oft chance someone might not like it or understand it. Vaping will never gain acceptance from the general public if we hide it and act like it is dangerous to others.

The land of the free and home of the brave is becoming the land of the fearful and home of the sheep.

Last edited:

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Again, I have to respectfully disagree. I stated clearly that to project the best perception of vaping to the general public, we should vape openly but respectfully. For you, vaping respectfully means hiding what we do from others and/or stealth/sneak vaping (" to be out of sight to vape") There is a big difference between being "respectfull" and acting like you are doing something wrong!!

And no one is advocating "blowing vaper in others faces" which is simply a straw man arguement which makes extreme examples to make a point. Vaping openly but respectfully is exactly the opposite of this position. But it is also not the other extreme (your position) which is too hide vaping from others in the oft chance someone might not like it or understand it. Vaping will never gain acceptance from the general public if we hide it and act like it is dangerous to others.

The land of the free and home of the brave is becoming the land of the fearful and home of the sheep.

^ This

If I'm vaping somewhere reasonable, my vapor is not wafting directly into someone's personal space, and they are offended merely by the sight of me vaping, then they have an issue. Let's take a movie theater as an example. If your vapor is coming between me and the screen, I'm not going to be happy about it. It's not reasonable to expect you to blow clouds in there. If you can stealth to the point where there's no vapor in any else's line of sight, go for it. If you're in the lobby and I can choose whether or not to walk through your vapor, then I'm being a jackalope if I have a problem with the mere sight of you vaping.

I vaped through a movie yesterday. I'd never actually vaped in a movie before and just wanted to see what the big controversy was because I'd questioned whether it was appropriate myself. I sat in the back row, there were people 2 rows up. I vaped a cloud to see where it would go and it was almost non-existent by the time it would drift far enough forward for anyone to see anything. Blow towards the floor, still a little wafting that someone in my row or immediately in front of me might see. Double inhale and blow towards the floor, NADA. This was with a Zenesis that's capable of some pretty massive clouds. Would I suggest vaping in a crowded theater? NO. Would I vape in a movie if I can do it without anyone seeing vapor? Yep. Nobody in there had a clue I was vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread