Tc - battery safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
Hi, my VTC mini has arrived! Its tiny, and though I wasn't expecting much I quite like the Ego One Mega. Its about the same size as my kabuki but holds just short of 5ml liquid. Only problem is its really difficult to see how much liquid is left. So now I want to try out the TC functions.

However, to my chagrin, when I checked my batteries most of them are rated around 10 amp, and those that are higher have seen a lot of cycles. So realistically I'm limited to less than 30W. Thats OK. I usually VW at well below 30W anyway, but thats still enough to get dry hits and burn wicks

So my question, if I set the Watts in TC mode to 30 or less will I be safe to use TC mode with lower amp batteries?

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Assuming the VTC Mini has a cut off voltage of 3.2 volts you will be pulling 10 amps from the battery when it's discharged.
What battery do you have and how old is it? Remember the CDR of a battery will decrease with age. batteries are cheap and are something you should not penny pinch on.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
Assuming the VTC Mini has a cut off voltage of 3.2 volts you will be pulling 10 amps from the battery when it's discharged.
What battery do you have and how old is it? Remember the CDR of a battery will decrease with age.
I know. I'm just not sure what TC will take from them. Presumably, if I set it to 30W it will take no more than 30W and less as the draw progresses.
Batteries are cheap and are something you should not penny pinch on.
I will get some more suitable batts from china and should have them in a month or so. I envy folks in the US who can get reasonably priced batts from local warehouses. Here, batts are 3-4 times the cost of china and no better quality.

Reactions: Foggy Road

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I typically set wattage at a few watts higher in TC than VW.. if I vape a build at 20watts with VW I'll set at to 22 to 25 watts.... mid will then fire at 35 but running in the 15 to 20 watt range.....

I would get better batts...... you could plug you numbers into the battery wizard on Steam-engine.org to see how far those batteries can be pushed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
if I vape a build at 20watts with VW I'll set [it] to 22 to 25 watts.... [mod] will then fire at 35 but running in the 15 to 20 watt range.....
Can you be a little clearer? The mod will fire higher than the set watts?

EDIT: of course you are running different firmware to me. I'm using the latest Joyetech .

As you do, I checked the batts when I got the mod. I thought they were better.
Not sure about steam engine, it has a habit of not working properly for me.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Can you be a little clearer? The mod will fire higher than the set watts?

EDIT: of course you are running different firmware to me. I'm using the latest Joyetech .

As you do, I checked the batts when I got the mod. I thought they were better.
Not sure about steam engine, it has a habit of not working properly for me.
I'm using Arcticfox..... but TC is TC..... VW is VW..

I SET wattage for TC 5 to 10% highet than I would use for same build in normal VW.

I normally build with a 15 to 20 VW Target. So TC for same would be 30 to 25 maybe a bit more..... so TC fires at the high wattage to reach temp.... then regulateds wattage down into the lower wattage ranges to maintain temp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
You still didn't say what batteries you have.
Below is a list of recommended ones with accurate amp ratings.

img_4813-jpg.643937

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
ohms law calculations dont work well with TC
I know, hence my question.
All my batteries are OK for my current VW vaping which is less than 30W. If I do as 93gc40 suggests and add 5W to my VW level its still less than 30W. But I'm not sure if TC mode places any higher strain on the batteries than VW, and by how much.
yoiu havent said what build you are running
Not built yet, but probably 1-1.2ohm 30ga SS316

Last edited:

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
You still didn't say what batteries you have.

The question is more about TC. Does TC need more from the batteries than VW, for the same watt setting?

As I said I consider CDR 10A or less for all of them,
in order of performance
Pana GA, 10A
LG MF, 10A
SS 30Q, 15A
some Sanyo's that keep on keeping on; but lower current ~8A?
SS 35E, 13A
LG HG2, 20A

The first 2 are the most recent
The last 2 are not working well.
The 30Q have seen lots of cycles
The sanyo's will never die.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
TC does not need 'more batteries' than VW for the same wattage setting, more likely less.

Pana GA, - 10A
LG MF, - 10A - I don't know which battery this is
SS 30Q, 15A - 20 amp
some Sanyo's that keep on keeping on; but lower current ~8A? Which Sanyos?
SS 35E, 13A - A poor performing 8 amp CDR
LG HG2, 20A ✓

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I know, hence my question.
All my batteries are OK for my current VW vaping which is less than 30W. If I do as 93gc40 suggests and add 5W to my VW level its still less than 30W. But I'm not sure if TC mode places any higher strain on the batteries than VW, and by how much.

Not built yet, but probably 1-1.2ohm 30ga SS316
8ish wraps of 30g wont tax your batt too much...I would carry on!!

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
Thanks, I'm sorry for the stupid questions.
I still don't quite understand, feeling a bit dim

I cant see why the battery sees 30W into one coil any different to 30W into another coil. Can anyone explain?
Didn't even get to temperature to use, but as the mods not going to draw any more current than the same watts in VW mode, I guess temp wont affect the batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread