Status
Not open for further replies.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
hmm... I wonder about using baking soda (since it's a base) to neutralize any acid residue *scratching head* Especially since I wouldnt want to accidentally vape phosphoric acid (that's the same stuff dentists use to etch your teeth before applying fillings)

Definately interesting to hear about using phosphoric acid, though. Thanks

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
Hmm.. On second thought baking soda to neutralize might not be a good idea. Even though you can make a solution with baking soda (by mixing in water), it would have residue when dry, which would cause probs. You might be able to make the solution, filter it with filter paper, and then use that to neutralize any remaining acid, but that'd be too much of a pain.

Last edited:
I couldn't find the above description listed for the Liquid Ice Machine Cleaner...

limc.jpg

But, it sounds like a better match for this product... Nickel Safe Ice Machine Cleaner...

limc_nickel-safe.jpg

You'll have to bare with me because I'm still new to all the e-cig stuff, but I thought I remembered someone saying that the atomizer coil is made of nickel (or some nickel alloy). Or, maybe I'm thinking of someones attempt at wiring their own homemade coil, using a nickel-based metal???
If a coil is made of nickel, maybe it would be best to use the Nickel Safe Ice Machine Cleaner product.

Regardless, it's good to know that you found no damage using this product.

No problem. ;) :D I'm glad it worked... Now we need some other willing souls to try to replicate your success.

Enlarged for emphasis.[/quote

Here is the product safety data for an ice Machine cleaner. http://www.frontiersd.mb.ca/safety/MSDS/Maxim chemicals/PROMAX ICE-MACHINE-CLEANER.pdf
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!

Last edited:

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
For the UK :
I've just placed an order for neat phosphoric acid & 100 vol hydrogen peroxide,
from Lindchem Ltd
Acids & Alkalis : Laboratory Chemicals Supplier - Lab Chemicals, Lindchem Limited
think they might insist on a company delivery address though?
(I'm getting mine sent to my work place).

Also for UK buyers : 250 ml and 1 litre bottles of EM
Effective microorganisms (EM) products from The Recycle Works
quite reasonable prices, just about to place an order myself, gotta see how this stuff works.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Wow! I really want to say thanks to all you guys who tested this stuff. Hope we get some more success stories so I can go out and buy a bottle! :p

Exo, still wondering about that EM stuff too!

Lu

I have just been around all my local shops and can't find anyone selling anything like it.....:(

As chemicals go, phosphoric acid is relatively mild. Of course one has to be cautious as it is highly concentrated in this formula. But it is food grade and and we drink this chemical in cola (I know people who drink 2000ml at a go!).

It could be seen as rather condescending for posters here to say 'great, i' can't wait to try it' but also say hey this is not for the general population as though they are stupid! It could be colored red or something and have a flashing light in the lid perhaps? Seriously, the bottle will be larger than the juices or flavourings.

I simply suggested a convenient way for us all to get hold of this. It's a big step forward and i would like everyne to be able to benefit.

Last edited:

eLiciafay

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2009
Naperville, IL
Hmm.. On second thought baking soda to neutralize might not be a good idea. Even though you can make a solution with baking soda (by mixing in water), it would have residue when dry, which would cause probs. You might be able to make the solution, filter it with filter paper, and then use that to neutralize any remaining acid, but that'd be too much of a pain.

Plain white vinegar will completely dissolve baking soda (I use it in cleaning all the time around the house). It is far less acidic than the ice machine cleaner (vinegar is 3% acid), and will undoubtedly rinse completely clean with ease with just water.

ETA: Thank you so much to everybody who contributed to this find! Thanks for testing it, Sun! It would be great to put a pictorial tutorial (I love rhymes! I'm silly like that!) for folks too. Like, step 1: put on safety glasses and gloves, lay down newpaper to protect your surface. :) I have a dead as a doornail atomizer that I can't wait to try this on! If anyone near the Chicago burbs would like to split an order, please let me know. I don't think I'll have a hard time finding this, I have a cousin who is an HVAC guy so I'm sure he could order this for me out of his catalog but we may have to order an entire case at a time. So I could run a local co-op for this. Payment would be via Paypal to me, pick up would be either at my home in Naperville or at a mutually convenient public location. PM me if interested!

Last edited:

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
I've noticed several people saying they boil their atomizers. Does this damage the small plastic gasket that in under the contact nipple? I really think we need to be careful all residue of this stuff is cleaned off. It might be food grade and used for ice machines, but there is a big difference between something that is safe to eat and swallow and something that is inhaled.

Ramblin

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
Great thread. This stuff might be a great preventive maintenance item. Give the atomizers a soak once or twice a month.

Found online in the USA via google search with the product code. $17 to $20 with shipping. I'll check the 4 local suppliers I found from the manufacturers web site and hope that they are lower in price.

Edit: Having re-read my correspondence with Sun, it is unclear. I had the impression it was used neat because I wrote that 'because it takes quite a few hours to work, it seems it cannot be used diluted'. He didn't reply that he had already diluted it but then again he havediluted it as it suggests on the bottle for ice makers. Will have to wait for Sun to confirm.

If this works diluted then it will go a long way!

"Usage rate is 8 fluid ounces with three gallons of water." So that's 8 in 3x20x8 = 8 in 480 = 1 in 40 or about 2.5% : same as cola ! I would suggest at least 10% for our puposes to get a good result.

Apparently, it can be used more than once - but for best results a fresh quantity can be used. A container only just large enough to submerge the atomiser would be best.

The 8oz size seems good, not as large as i thought. The price varies widely.

Idahoji - it will rinse out easily; it is not like an oil, say, that clings to surfaces or doesn't mix with water. But you need to take care care when handling it, especially undiluted, just as you would with say, oven cleaner.

Julliefishes - the 'nickel-safe' version: the only real difference is that this one is listed as <30% phosphoric acid plus a little citric acid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread