My method to clean the heating coil of any atomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

incineradma

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Midwest
www.myspace.com
I agree that it shouldn't be made an assumption that it is carbon merely because it is black.. or carbon-like.

It would be a good idea, I think, to use this method once a week so we're not inhaling from potentially dangerous chemicals as we are many of us trying to avoid with e-cigs, or to market a similar setup because there are definately a lot people like myself who have no clue what you're talking about nor anything about cords, wires, electricity, or Chemistry. I forgot everything I learned in school. Even took a college Chem class with the intention of majoring in it and I can't remember, now.

It would be awesome if people could take the extra time to explain the process or the meaning of some of these technical things every once in a while so the common public can make sense of your observations and findings :D unless, of course, you are too busy. There's a lot of technical jargon on these threads and I don't want to screw something up and ruin an atomizer or electrocute myself, I'm sure you understand :D.

500KV

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Chattanooga
now i wouldn't mind helping you folks with this but i have two atomizers and they work and they better at least a year cause that's the warranty on them. when they give up on me they'll go back for replacement if the warranty is not expired. oh and they only cost 6 dollars a piece not to bad a deal eh? even though i have been reading alot and i have ordered spares and they are on their way

Could you please tell us where you buy these atomizers with a one year warranty ?

Thanks...

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
folks PLEASE as i have been following this for quite some time i keep asking myself the same thing why haven't they tried to identify what they are trying to dissolve and go forward from there? Is it carbon if not what else could it be? .............. I am a machinist and i can identify certain metals from each other by the color their sparks make when you use a grinder on them and seems to me i also remember a chemistry teacher telling me in high school chemicals can be identified by the color the flame turns when the substance is immersed in a flame ya know? like sulfur will turn the flame yellow and so on. So identify what you want to disolve and then find a safe chemical that reacts with it if at all possible ok? then we go from there

iam0z--We would love to have the residue identified, but we do not know how. We do not have a lab like CSI Miami here and any ideas on how we could go about that that is reasonable and cost effective would be appreciated. I am sure a lab with the right equitment could identify it--but where do we find on that will test if for a reasonable price is the issue----Sun

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I officially killed my first atomizer today. It was from VaporKing and they cautioned against dripping. Good thing they did. My atomizer failed, no matter what voltage I applied to it. There was no continuity whatsoever (useful for those who know what a voltmeter is used for). I ripped the penstyle atomizer apart and determined that I had burned through the wire that vaporizes the e-liquid. So, dripping can shorten the life of your atomizers, but I do not plan to stop this behavior.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
iam0z--We would love to have the residue identified, but we do not know how. We do not have a lab like CSI Miami here and any ideas on how we could go about that that is reasonable and cost effective would be appreciated. I am sure a lab with the right equitment could identify it--but where do we find on that will test if for a reasonable price is the issue----Sun

I've been assuming nearly 100% carbon,
despite kinabaloo's ideas that there might be some substantial mineral content.

I could have another go at XPS (elemental) analysis of a gunked coil/wick,
this time without cleaning it first (must be 100% 'dry' first though).

The carbon/oxygen ratio during ion-etching through the layers may
give a clue as to how close to 'just' carbon it is & whether it's mainly
elemental cabon, carbide or organic carbon
- and for the latter the relative amounts/types of oxygen bonding.

If any other elements (e.g. calcium) turn up in reasonable amount, I'll
be able to tell if these minerals are present.
(I'll discount chromium & nickel & silicon, since these will come from the coil/wick
-if I etch down that far).

Gets a bit tricky with a physically 'lumpy' sample to analyse though.

Trouble is, currently my 'worst' coil (just removed it from it's casing), only has a light deposit

(my autosmoker coil was gunking-up great, till I managed to physically break the wire - damn!)

edit: posting synchrony kinabaloo :)

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The deposit is a melange of different things and this makes it difficult to remove. Probably fused together in some way too. These things, varying according to juices used, would include flavourings and their adjuvants, such as sugars and starches, gums and resins; carbon from heat breakdown of some of the organic components; inorganic minerals; dust, pollen and pollution from the air.

We are eagerly awaiting results regarding plain VG / PG and distilled water to see if this contributes anything at all.

Clearly a big step forward lies in the preventative measure of formulating juices with components that will evaporate and not be left behind (dry residue).

Last edited:

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Think my (ordinary) soldering iron must be too hot, all I get is a flashes of loads of vapour & no deposit,
also just realised I was filling the room with loads of 20mg vapour
- if I kept that up too long I'd OD 8-o

(tried dripping as well, same effect)

edit: got the autosmoker re-running, hopefully by work-time it'll have a decent deposit
for analysis.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I've been assuming nearly 100% carbon,
despite kinabaloo's ideas that there might be some substantial mineral content.

I could have another go at XPS (elemental) analysis of a gunked coil/wick,
this time without cleaning it first (must be 100% 'dry' first though).

The carbon/oxygen ratio during ion-etching through the layers may
give a clue as to how close to 'just' carbon it is & whether it's mainly
elemental cabon, carbide or organic carbon
- and for the latter the relative amounts/types of oxygen bonding.

If any other elements (e.g. calcium) turn up in reasonable amount, I'll
be able to tell if these minerals are present.
(I'll discount chromium & nickel & silicon, since these will come from the coil/wick
-if I etch down that far).

Gets a bit tricky with a physically 'lumpy' sample to analyse though.

Trouble is, currently my 'worst' coil (just removed it from it's casing), only has a light deposit

(my autosmoker coil was gunking-up great, till I managed to physically break the wire - damn!)

edit: posting synchrony kinabaloo :)

exogenesis--I look foward to your analysis results--I do think that we will find the composition of VG is different then PG under kinabaloo's theory of the case--visual results to show and post tomm as we are giving them another day of vaping.---Sun

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
ruyandirect.com is where i get the atomizers and it states one year warranty and here is the Guarantee Policy

All items are refundable excluding shipping cost and handling fee within 7 days of receipt without any reason, and the item should be returned in original condition.

Most of our products have a certain guarantee period. Please check the item description carefully. During guarantee period, customer please send back the broken unit to us and we will send you a new one for replacement after we receive the broken unit. The customer please afford all the shipping costs.

AH! and there is the rub. i have to pay to send them back and to have the replacements shipped back to me. but still they are guaranteed for a years time. now shipping them back doesn't make much sense but, this tells me they make a product that should be sturdy enough to last for a year.

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida

now come on Sun buddy. the color of the burned sample when immersed in a flame? and since when do you have to be on the CSI staff to own a butane lighter? and are we not connected to the internet to find charts tables and or information on how to interpret these results? PLEASE!! Once we know for a fact what this substance is then we can find a way to rid ourselves of this annoyance ok? I am trying to help you folks and i get ragged on maybe i should just keep my damn mouth shut

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
now come on Sun buddy. the color of the burned sample when immersed in a flame? and since when do you have to be on the CSI staff to own a butane lighter? and are we not connected to the internet to find charts tables and or information on how to interpret these results? PLEASE!! Once we know for a fact what this substance is then we can find a way to rid ourselves of this annoyance ok? I am trying to help you folks and i get ragged on maybe i should just keep my damn mouth shut

IamOZ--thanks for your comments, but most of us here are not Chemists--but we are also not ignorant either. We have been working on this for quite some time now and expending a lot of time, effort and money---I really could care less about what it the residue is if we can clean it off the coil. But some members here thing may be important. We are looking for a SAFE, effective, and easy way to remove the residue and safe our atomizers. Anyhow, your comments are in fact welcome--Thanks--Sun

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
iam0z--your post belongs in the e-smoking products and reviews section. So there is no confusion, this is the Experimenting with Equitment section and has to do with Members experimenting with their devices---please try to be careful and Thanks---Sun

Excuse me ok? but somone in this section asked me where i get them from with that price and guarantee ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread