• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The Astro by Kato CLONE! $24 on FT

Status
Not open for further replies.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Just unwrapped the astro a few minutes ago.
At first glance, I love this thing!
Locking ring is NOT reverse threaded.
Pin is adjustable via flat blade screwdriver.
Switch contact can be tightened via flat blade as well.
Threads feel decent.
This thing is TINY!
Loving it!
Pic is in 18650 mode.

20131007_171812-1_zps0dfd9573.jpg

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Fixed the throw to about 1/2 mm, the spacer I made for that took care of the wobble. Locking ring only takes about 2/3 of a turn to lock.
It's pretty tiny in 350 mode- too small for my hand- but in 500 it is perfect. On a 1.4 ohm coil I'm getting 0.3 V drop. Not bad at all for stock everything.
Shown for reference:
Sigelei "ba gua" with chimbus in 350
Astro clone with AGI in 500
Sigelei 19 with AGI in 500
*Apologies for crappy lighting.

image.jpg

kuritaro9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Misawa Japan
just got my astro clone/counterfeit/forgery/bootleg, whatever. its a very well built mod. worth every penny of the $20-something i paid for it. as for the no airlfow, i have been using it with a shorty 510adapter, and it works great with cartos. or with no adapter, i get a nice flush mount with all of my bootleg drippers.

i did have a question for anyone that has a real astro as well as the clone. are the caps interchangeable?

ElectraClyde

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Chicagoland
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Couple of side by side pics. Clone is very nicely done, and looks spot on except for the light etching on the top cap. Original is much deeper. I moved recently and can't find my caliper or scale at the moment, but dimensionally, they appear the same but the original feels more than a little heavier. The threads are the same diameter and pitch, so the parts all interchange. The only glitch here was my original bottom cap would not thread more than halfway into the clone kick ring section. Thread quality, however, is night and day. The original has far superior threading, nice and smooth. Running the telescoping section in and out on the original, it is almost silent. The clone threading is loose, loud, and sloppy. But, once you get a battery in there, even the clone feels nice and solid. I haven't disassembled the clone switch to see if it is the same as the original, but it feels about the same as the original when firing. Lock ring on the original is less than one revolution from full lock to full unlock, but it is more than a revolution and a half on the clone.

I hate the fact that this is more of what I consider a counterfeit than a clone. I believe I'll attempt my first brush job on this thing. I actually prefer a brushed finish over a polished finish, but I really, really don't want any of the original style logos on a clone. A few minutes with some emery cloth will take care of that.

Clyde

kuritaro9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Misawa Japan
was doing some parts swapping just to see if any other caps would fit, so i could use other attys/cartos without needing an adapter, and i found out that the cap from the K100's fit perfectly. it threads right in, and once snugged down on a battery, there is zero thread slop. so if you would like to change up the look a bit, and have a K100 laying around, it will work.

curious to know if someone has some of the sigelei clones laying around, what other heads might fit.

20131011_150440.jpg 20131011_150504.jpg

Last edited:

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I couldn't stand it any more. Gave my phony the brushed finish tonight and removed all of the markings on the tube and button. The top cap I will leave since it is covered anyhow, but it really is a bunch of crap having a fake serial # and the identical markings to the original. I was up in the air about it at first but it really is taking it a bit too far.

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
Damn. I hate you all. I've decided to cancel my Nemesis because of the complex button, but instead replace it with the Astro clone. Thanks for the pics and comparisons! The logos I wouldn't mind, but the serial numbers IMO is what I dislike the most about clones. I'm all for clones, but the serial numbers is what ticks me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread