The VAMO battery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
I happen to have a Sanyo UR18650W2 1500mah laying around and wondered if it would be safe to use in my Vamo as a backup battery, I am having a very hard time finding any info about it on here besides a graph showing that it is up to par (or even slightly better than) the other 18650 IMR battery's recomended for the Vamo. It was originally used to power a high output laser that has since been dropped and broken by an over excited 8 year old.
It's a high discharge battery but you are on the limits with the low capacity, it won't last long. You can use it however.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Efest IMR 18350s are usually good enough (if you don't push the A too much), the only point being a 18350 doesn't last very long in general. When I've tried it, a single 18350 lasted about half an hour for me, but someone else reported a few hours of vaping on one of those; it's really completely subjective...

My suggestion: resistance around 2.5ohm, W <=8 and you're likely to maximise its duration (still depending on your vaping pattern though)

I'd like to use my Vamo V3 in single 18350 mode. My supplier only has the Efest 18350s available, not the AWs. I'm wondering how much battery life the 800mah Efest would give in single mode, anyone know?

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
My efest batteries last me several hours. What are you using to give you an half an hour?
Efest IMR 18350s are usually good enough (if you don't push the A too much), the only point being a 18350 doesn't last very long in general. When I've tried it, a single 18350 lasted about half an hour for me, but someone else reported a few hours of vaping on one of those; it's really completely subjective...

My suggestion: resistance around 2.5ohm, W <=8 and you're likely to maximise its duration (still depending on your vaping pattern though)

nightrider89

Apr 2, 2013
USA
I've not seen 18350 IMRs on FastTech. I use Efest IMR 18350 flat tops from Vapor Beast. Only buy Efests from a known reliable supplier as it seems selling counterfeits and factory rejects is somewhat common. When stacked, the nipple top 18350s won't allow the battery cap on one of my VAMOs to screw on all the way. If you don't plan on stacking you can use AW IMR 18350s. Some people think they are better than Efests but they don't make flat tops.

The Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650s I've gotten at Fast Tech have worked great for me.

The VAMO has built-in battery protection and it's boost circuit doesn't always play nicely with protected batteries. Also, the IMRs and hybrid Panasonics have safer chemistry than the type of batteries that are protected.

quick question on the hybrid. so whats the deal with these? basically protected high drain?

I saw that these are the newest batteries from Panasonic, the NCR18650PF. supposedly they are high drain but FT says they are unprotected. i thought hybdrids are?

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
Please do not mix word Protected with hybrid, or safe chemistry.

Protected batteries have nothing to do with chemistry, and usually are not used in vaping because of their length.

Protected batteries are mostly used in flashlights.

Using word Protected on this forum results -many vapers are buying Protected batteries that will not fit in their mods.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Most lithium batteries are inherently protected, it's just a question of how. IMR is a "safer" chemistry that is designed to prevent, or at least mitigate, thermal runaway. So there is some "protection" there. A "protected" battery has in internal electronic limiting circuit that limits the available current output to a safe level. Hopefully it also has a chemistry that mitigates thermal runaway in case it shorts internally, ahead of the protection circuit, or the protection circuit happens to fail.

nightrider89

Apr 2, 2013
USA
Please do not mix word Protected with hybrid, or safe chemistry.

Protected batteries have nothing to do with chemistry, and usually are not used in vaping because of their length.

Protected batteries are mostly used in flashlights.

Using word Protected on this forum results -many vapers are buying Protected batteries that will not fit in their mods.

sorry! i just wanted clarification as sometimes there are mixed answers. many members on the forum use different batteries on their mods and there seems to be different opinion on which is best/safer. I am just trying to learn from that and see which ones are best before i purchase a product.

i just want to express my concerns now so i make the right choice. some members on the chat told me to use protected so it doesnt blow in my face. <-- that right there is a major concern that i wanted to be addressed here.

and as for my understanding, it seems like the hybrid batts are the best to get because the safer chemistry allows them to vent better than others?

thanks for all the clarification! haha i'm pretty much a noob when it comes around to vaping. :vapor:

Last edited:

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I did skim through most of it. I haven't seen any mention of using a IMR 16340 for Vamo small mode. It's very nearly identical in size to a 18350 and same 3.7v etc...(only real difference is 700mah instead of 800) Well I put one in my new Vamo V5 and it works perfectly. Also it doesn't rattle either. Grimm Green did this in a Vamo review also. Anyway just wanted to let everyone know in case anyone has some 16340s sitting around and want to use them for small mode Vamo. I just happened to have 8 of them that were supposed to be 4prs for another mod but that mod has bit the bullet, so I just ordered a second Vamo V5 this one Black Chrome.

Last edited:

Tommy Aces

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
Connecticut
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I did skim through most of it. I haven't seen any mention of using a IMR 16340 for Vamo small mode. It's very nearly identical in size to a 18350 and same 3.7v etc...(only real difference is 700mah instead of 800) Well I put one in my new Vamo V5 and it works perfectly. Also it doesn't rattle either. Grimm Green did this in a Vamo review also. Anyway just wanted to let everyone know in case anyone has some 16340s sitting around and want to use them for small mode Vamo. I just happened to have 8 of them that were supposed to be 4prs for another mod but that mod has bit the bullet, so I just ordered a second Vamo V5 this one Black Chrome.

You can, but I'm not sure they are rated to safely push the amperage you'll want to safely operate the device. The AW IMR 16340 is only rated to 4A I believe. I'm assuming the 700 mAh 16340 you speak of is the EH and at best is rated similar to the AW. the VAMO has a 5 amp switch, so combined with a low charge battery and depending on the amps that the circuitry is drawing, you could easily exceed the safe operating capacity of those batteries.

ClaireW

ECF Veteran
Hi everyone. I'm planning to order a vamo v5 from fast tech https://www.fasttech.com/product/1491700

I read this thread about batteries and got more confused. I'm hoping someone can point me to a link to a good charger?. Not one that will blow up like the one I read about in the other thread. ;-)

And a link to good batteries?

It doesn't have to be from fasttech. Any help us appreciated! TY.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Hi everyone. I'm planning to order a vamo v5 from fast tech https://www.fasttech.com/product/1491700

I read this thread about batteries and got more confused. I'm hoping someone can point me to a link to a good charger?. Not one that will blow up like the one I read about in the other thread. ;-)

And a link to good batteries?

It doesn't have to be from fasttech. Any help us appreciated! TY.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've been using a Nitecore I2 that I got from FT with my V2 kit.
It's rated as safe and best bang for my buck. It's worked flawlessly.
FT has the I2 with US plug with car adapter for $16 and change.

I get my AW IMR batteries from https://rtdvapor.com/

EDIT:
I'm not sure how safe the car adapter is.
I don't use one and it seems like a good feature but now that I think about it maybe not such a good idea.
Maybe just as an emergency backup on a long trip but I have 8 batteries for 3 devices.
I don't need a car charger and probably won't get one.

Last edited:

ClaireW

ECF Veteran
I've been using a Nitecore I2 that I got from FT with my V2 kit.
It's rated as safe and best bang for my buck. It's worked flawlessly.
FT has the I2 with US plug with car adapter for $16 and change.

I get my AW IMR batteries from https://rtdvapor.com/

EDIT:
I'm not sure how safe the car adapter is.
I don't use one and it seems like a good feature but now that I think about it maybe not such a good idea.
Maybe just as an emergency backup on a long trip but I have 8 batteries for 3 devices.
I don't need a car charger and probably won't get one.

Thanks for reply and pointing me to rtdvapor site!

I'm not to big on many car charging devices. I have one piece that has USB and a regular plug I keep around in case I loose power in my house.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ClaireW

ECF Veteran
Curious if these are good batteries? For a vamo v5

Unprotected correct? Button or flat top doesn't make a difference?

http://rtdvapor.com/index.php/batteries/aw-imr-18650-3-7v-2000mah.html

And then I can get 18350 and use either one our two of those at a Time? Should I bother with the smaller?

AW , EFEST or Panasonic's seem to be the better to use with vamo?

How long do these batteries typically take to charge?

Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Curious if these are good batteries? For a vamo v5

Unprotected correct? Button or flat top doesn't make a difference?

AW IMR 18650 2000mAh

And then I can get 18350 and use either one our two of those at a Time? Should I bother with the smaller?

AW , EFEST or Panasonic's seem to be the better to use with vamo?

How long do these batteries typically take to charge?

Thank you!

A few hours. I have 4 AW 650s and 2 AW 490s for my Provari.
I also have 2 AW 350s for my Vamos.
AW IMRs are basically the industry standard and are excellent.

I use the Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Flat Top in my Vamos.
Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Flat Top - Batteries
They're $7.50 ea They were $7.50 ea last week. Now they're $8.95 :blink:
They last a little longer and are still a couple of dollars cheaper but if they were 9 instead of 7.50 when I last bought a batch I probably would have gone with the AWs.
The AW 350s are good but do you use a high amp topper? no need to stack if you're not.
I just use a single 350 in shorty mode when I hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread