The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The VAMO battery thread

Discussion in 'VAMO' started by caged, Dec 2, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Gerick

Gerick Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2013
    NYC
    My extra batteries arrived yesterday.

Panasonic CGR18650CH 3.6 Volt Li-ion Battery 2250 mAh:

After a full charge do these batteries hold their charge well when not in use ?

Thanks

2. Tritium

Tritium Ultra Member ECF Veteran

If you want to store Li-ion batteries the best you can do is to have them charged around 40-60%. I prefer 40. Lithium batteries do not like high voltages during storing.
    Any battery regardless of the chemistry looses energy during storage. But that differs from one chemistry to another.

3. awsum140

awsum140 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'd also say it depends on what you mean, exactly, by "storage". If it's only a few days to a few weeks, that's one thing. If it's months or longer, that's a different ball game.

4. Gerick

Jul 7, 2013
    NYC
    Just a few days to keep them in rotation.

5. Tritium

Then you don't have to do anything, you can fully charge them and use them normally.

6. ricks

ricks Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    How long does it take to charge your 18650's? I use the Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh ones and it takes 5-6 hours to charge one with my charger.

7. Gerick

Jul 7, 2013
    NYC
    WOW Mine didn't take that long at all and I charged all 4 at the same time. Maybe yours had a lower charge when you recieved them.

I charged all 4 at the same time on the same charger and I would say it took about 3 hours give or take..

8. Strontium

Strontium Unresolved Status ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2012
    Hurricane State
    If you use low charging current charger (you did not tell us which charger??) then 5to6 hours is normal.

If you use 1000mAh charging current charger (Xtar, Soshine), then it shouldn't be over 2.5 to 4 hours. Depends on battery depletion level.

9. ricks

ricks Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    I use a JETBeam i2 PRO Intelligent Charger

10. Strontium

Strontium Unresolved Status ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2012
    Hurricane State
    Jetbeam, and Nitecore 2 channel chargers use only 500mA to charge 18650 batteries. That is one reason why your charging is taking so long. Nothing wrong with these chargers, if you do not mind charging time.

3400mAh will take over 11 hrs to fully charge, so you are still good with your ch. time.

11. kottonmouth401

kottonmouth401 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    RI, USA
    My efest 18650's take over 12 hours to fully charge in my trustfire TR-001 charger

12. awsum140

Supporting member
    Maybe time for new charger? That doesn't sound to trusty to me :)

13. Ta2ooz

Ta2ooz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2013
    Langley B.C. Canada
    using the 2500mah trustfires, button tops that came with the vamo from fastech, no issues so far

14. SeniorBoy

SeniorBoy VapeFight.com Founder Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Since were talking chargers I would be grateful for some guidance. For my Vamo 3 I have AW IMR 18650, AW IMR 18350, and Efest IMR 18650 bats which I charge with my XTAR VPI. My questions:

If time to charge is NOT a concern will I get a better charge using 0.25 A charging current? When I say better charge I'm assuming that means better saturation and battery life but I'm not sure? Is their any evidence that in this case the bat lasts longer in my Vamo 3?

If I select 1.00 A charging current for my bats then the time to charge is faster. That much I understand. However, what if any are the tradeoffs when compared to a 0.25 A charging current?

As you can see, I'm not a bat geek :) and when I look at graphs I glaze over so any plain English non geek help would be great.

15. awsum140

Supporting member
    Generally speaking, and I am anything but a battery expert, keeping charge rates at low or moderate levels is probably better for any battery type simply to keep internal heating down to a minimum. Less heating equals longer life as a general rule of thumb. I suspect that charge rates of 500ma are pretty close to optimal. The thing to consider is the total output capability of the charger, IE is it 500ma or 1amp total versus per channel?

16. kottonmouth401

kottonmouth401 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    RI, USA
    Yeah it doesn't, does it? Its less than a month old & the batteries are too. I've been a little concerned because it takes so long to charge my 18650's. Is there any safety risk to long charging times or is it just an annoyance?

Btw, it doesn't have the same problem with my 18350's. They reach full charge in about 3 hours

17. awsum140

Supporting member
    18350's are generally 800mah batteries, about a third of the current capacity of your 18650's. The charge times make sense, based on that.

18. Tritium

In Li-ion batteries the normal charging current is 0.7C (varies 0.1C between manufacturers) in the case of the panasonic 1323,529411764706mA Anything below will only charge the battery slower without any other effect. Anything above will destroy the battery. 500mA is almost twice lower.

19. LeoRex

LeoRex Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    United States
    Efest 18650s on a trustfire take forever.. 6+

Good thing I'll get the days off a fresh one.

20. Ta2ooz

Ta2ooz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2013
    Langley B.C. Canada
    i have quite a long charge time as well but i figured it was becase of the 2600 mah and they want to put the v in slowly, no isues just what i have noticed