The VAMO battery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
If you want to store Li-ion batteries the best you can do is to have them charged around 40-60%. I prefer 40. Lithium batteries do not like high voltages during storing.
Any battery regardless of the chemistry looses energy during storage. But that differs from one chemistry to another.

Last edited:

Gerick

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2013
NYC
WOW Mine didn't take that long at all and I charged all 4 at the same time. Maybe yours had a lower charge when you recieved them.

I charged all 4 at the same time on the same charger and I would say it took about 3 hours give or take..

How long does it take to charge your 18650's? I use the Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh ones and it takes 5-6 hours to charge one with my charger.

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
How long does it take to charge your 18650's? I use the Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh ones and it takes 5-6 hours to charge one with my charger.

If you use low charging current charger (you did not tell us which charger??) then 5to6 hours is normal.

If you use 1000mAh charging current charger (Xtar, Soshine), then it shouldn't be over 2.5 to 4 hours. Depends on battery depletion level.

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
I use a JETBeam i2 PRO Intelligent Charger

Jetbeam, and Nitecore 2 channel chargers use only 500mA to charge 18650 batteries. That is one reason why your charging is taking so long. Nothing wrong with these chargers, if you do not mind charging time.

3400mAh will take over 11 hrs to fully charge, so you are still good with your ch. time.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Since were talking chargers I would be grateful for some guidance. For my Vamo 3 I have AW IMR 18650, AW IMR 18350, and Efest IMR 18650 bats which I charge with my XTAR VPI. My questions:

If time to charge is NOT a concern will I get a better charge using 0.25 A charging current? When I say better charge I'm assuming that means better saturation and battery life but I'm not sure? Is their any evidence that in this case the bat lasts longer in my Vamo 3?

If I select 1.00 A charging current for my bats then the time to charge is faster. That much I understand. However, what if any are the tradeoffs when compared to a 0.25 A charging current?

As you can see, I'm not a bat geek :) and when I look at graphs I glaze over so any plain English non geek help would be great.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Generally speaking, and I am anything but a battery expert, keeping charge rates at low or moderate levels is probably better for any battery type simply to keep internal heating down to a minimum. Less heating equals longer life as a general rule of thumb. I suspect that charge rates of 500ma are pretty close to optimal. The thing to consider is the total output capability of the charger, IE is it 500ma or 1amp total versus per channel?

kottonmouth401

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2013
RI, USA
Maybe time for new charger? That doesn't sound to trusty to me :)

Yeah it doesn't, does it? Its less than a month old & the batteries are too. I've been a little concerned because it takes so long to charge my 18650's. Is there any safety risk to long charging times or is it just an annoyance?

Btw, it doesn't have the same problem with my 18350's. They reach full charge in about 3 hours

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread