The Vaping World is leaving me behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Just talked him into a Merlin for a tank.

I'd be reconsidering that Merlin. There's quite a extensive thread about Merlin and its unfixable seeping in here and the other forum. Bottom line is that the Merlin's base is pressfit and will eventually loosen from regular use and juice will seep all down your hitter. I tried to fix my merlins to no avail, my only solution is to have the Merlin sit on a mech with a solid pin so there is a space between the base of the merlin and the top of the mech.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
I compare vape devices to cellphones...it's always about bigger faster better stronger.

You don't HAVE to fall out of your comfort zone just because times are changing. I'm running an RX300 (300w device) at 25w, and the battery life is amazing! I still tootle, but some e-liquids just demand the cloud. Doesn't mean you're in the minority!

Corrode Conformity! Just because devices are changing doesn't mean YOU have to. Don't follow MY lead though...I'm already spiraling down the rabbit hole lol.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I'm still a tootle puffer, with a Kayfun Mini V3 atop a Provari at 10 watts, so we're on the same page there.

Bet I can one-up you on phones, though. I don't have a new-fangled cell phone, just an old Tracfone for which you have to buy airtime and minutes. I hate cell phones, and I'm sure not about to stick it to my ear walking around in Wal-Mart like I see all the time. People eating out or socializing at the coffee shop don't even have conversations any more; they're too busy checking their phones. Only reason I have one is for emergencies. Many people, especially younger ones, have never even heard of a Tracfone. LOL

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm using (_____) mod (which doesn't matter) and a Smok TFV4 with the Clapton RC1 RBA.

When I first heard about clapton coil I thought gezzzz another build gimmick. I have twisted some wire but thats as far as it went. Wow a clapton came in the TFV4 RBA, I haven't vaped a stock coil in years. Wicked er up and I was just floored at this clapton coil and how well it vapes. I now have more clapton coil builds in my attys than single wire builds, built a jig to wrap and claptons are everything they say about them. I made my tootle puffing wife a 1.6ohm 28/32 clapton and she won't ever vape a single wire build again.
If that clapton build didn't come in that RBA then to this day I would have considered the clapton coil a gimmick and not looked twice.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I have been vaping for four years, starting with a little 650 mah joytech. The tank was the top fill with the coils or wicks being little strings. I thought I had really moved up and have been very happy with my Mini Nautilus and Mini Pro Tank II. For two years I have used the Itaste VV3 and/or VV4. I use an Eleaf 30 watt with my Mini Nautilus. Well guys except for the Mini Nautilus the other vape supplies are either no longer available or hard to find. I did find the Mini Pro Tank II in limited quantities and bought a couple. I am now trying to lay in supplies to last me.
The Itaste and Eleaf 30 watt has been discontinued.

What I call sub ohm or clouds chasing is taking over and the manufacturers are marketing toward those who love doing this and leaving the ones like me behind. I cannot use a sub-ohm device. It chokes me. It make me cough so hard, I might as well be smoking a stinky.

I realize that I am a minority and that there are those who say I don't even want to try but believe me I have and every time I bought a set up, I gave it away to my son or daughter in law or sometimes just a friend. Some of us cannot do this. Some of us cannot take this much into our lungs.

I realize I am just venting and no one on this site can help but right now, I am very frustrated.
Sounds like you need a Kayfun if yoy are able ca d willing to build coils and wick them with organic cotton.

Tge Kayfun i use is in my avatar. If Interested check my blog for parts list to build your own.

The base is $4.00. The barrel around tge deck is $1.76 or so. And the acrylic Tank is about $1.69.

After those three pieces you only need a drip tip.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
That Clapton was pretty good! I like that RBA because it's narrower than the others, allowing more juice in tank. It's also dead easy to build on, way better than the single coil RBA.

I made a homemade Clapton coil once, seemed like too much work honestly. Yeah, you can really hit it hard, but I found out my body doesn't like vaping much. So I have to keep it low watts and low VG. It's alright, I'm just becoming a toottle puffer.

I think I smoked too long and have a little COPD. Combine that with asthma I've had forever and you know why I switched to vaping. I should change my username now that I'm not 90%VG.

Last edited:

urchin58

Aug 23, 2014
Texas
Okay, I am reading all the advice. I realize that I tootle. lol I kind of like that word. I also have a touch of asthma and even though Doctor said no COPD, I was a smoker for 40 years, I know there is some damage. I cannot tolerate a warm vape since it irritates my throat and lungs. I guess that's why I have stayed so long with the ones that worked for me. Some of the suggestions have given me ideas on what websites to look at. I have been spending this afternoon filling a lot of shopping bags so I guess I can be ready for anything....maybe. Guys, I do not want to build coils unless I have to. Have to being the operative word. Necessity is the Mother of Invention so who knows where I will be once my vaping stash runs out. I really do appreciate all the feedback. Thanks again. I do not feel as helpless or hopeless as when I first made this post.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm glad you got some ideas. I wouldn't go too much to town buying until you try a few things out so you don't end up with a bunch of stuff you won't use. On the mod side there's not much you have to worry about other than build quality, reliability, replaceable battery. On the tank side it gets personal as that's what will determine (along with the juice of course) what kind of vape you'll get.

I understand not wanting to build, and the appeal of popping in a factory coil, but realize there may be some day where in the US hardware finally gets restricted and those factory coils won't be around. That's why at some point building will become necessary. The good news is it's not nearly as difficult as you might think and way cheaper than even the $2 a week on a new factory coil.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I do not want to build coils unless I have to.

From all I've read in all sorts of social medias and forum posts in my 4 years of vaping I do determine that if one is going to go the route of using factory coils, your in for a challenging ride that can get expensive. Making a mistake with a factory coil can cost a few bucks each vs burning a build is a few cents, along with wrecking that few dollar coil on its first vape. Also consider if and when the hammer falls with the FDA...those coils you rely on might disappear.
Next to making my own juice, coil building is the most valuable vape asset I have.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
Building coils isn't hard at all. Lots of posts on here, and lots of videos on youtube to show the process. You just need decent wire snips and scissors. Then some wire (maybe 26-28g for you) and cotton. I learned the first time in a hotel room with just a pair of scissors. Bent the wire to break it. Worked fine. (Had just got a new Subtank Mini and had to try out the RBA.)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
In my long life I have learned one thing. "New and Improved" usually isn't. Also learned to stock up before they make my favorite "New and Improved".

I think there are many who progressed in this vaping journey, found what they liked, and stopped. I still use protanks often.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Like many of the above comments. I have gear that can go over 100 watts but most of the time I'm puffing along at 15 watts. good thing for us low wattage users because we can find new outdated gear for pretty cheap.
    And let's hope we are preparing for nothing but having the piece of mind that you can build coils and have a long-term supply of nicotine is reassuring.

Last edited:

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    I have been vaping for four years, starting with a little 650 mah joytech. The tank was the top fill with the coils or wicks being little strings. I thought I had really moved up and have been very happy with my Mini Nautilus and Mini Pro Tank II. For two years I have used the Itaste VV3 and/or VV4. I use an Eleaf 30 watt with my Mini Nautilus. Well guys except for the Mini Nautilus the other vape supplies are either no longer available or hard to find. I did find the Mini Pro Tank II in limited quantities and bought a couple. I am now trying to lay in supplies to last me.
    The Itaste and Eleaf 30 watt has been discontinued.

What I call sub ohm or clouds chasing is taking over and the manufacturers are marketing toward those who love doing this and leaving the ones like me behind. I cannot use a sub-ohm device. It chokes me. It make me cough so hard, I might as well be smoking a stinky.

I realize that I am a minority and that there are those who say I don't even want to try but believe me I have and every time I bought a set up, I gave it away to my son or daughter in law or sometimes just a friend. Some of us cannot do this. Some of us cannot take this much into our lungs.

I realize I am just venting and no one on this site can help but right now, I am very frustrated.
    Fasttech.com is the answer to all your problems... Use e-marketing as shipping method where possible.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    @urchin58

Having read the thread, I would advise you to go steady on collecting lots of gear until you have tried a modern mod like the Pico. You might find you like it and enjoy the battery life.

I noticed you ordered 3 iTaste VVs and whilst this is good, just be aware that in value-for-money terms (and reliability) these old items are not so great. I too was tempted to stock up on iTastes and Spinners at one point, but unless I am 'way off course' here, the modern mods are a better solution to power your vaping. I have a mod which takes two x 18650 batteries and have used it for 12w vaping. Essentially it has 6,000mAh battery life, which means I can go away for a time and vape as if I was using an iTaste but for 5 times as long (or something).

LordFDisk

Feb 7, 2017
    Utah
    I would think that you just need to find a newer setup, that fits your Vapor. An Alien 220w can be set to 10w. And if you get a RDA 28 round Kanthal 15 raps for both coils when get you in a range of 1.50 ohms. It's also a cold vapor very little heat. I then would just play with you wattage. Start at 25w give you coils time to brake in. then you can up the wattage. I would also look at the Juice that your using .. the more Nicotine the more throat hit. The more PG in the juice the more flavor but throat hit as well. My wife got a Amigo Mini Sub starter kit.. She was choking on 6mg nic and then dropped to 3mg nic. I think that a RDA and a Alien 220 or something like that would work better. you have more range to play with. But you could also look at Eleaf iCare 3 Starter kit Output wattage: 15W max. That just might give you just enough vapor that your looking for. I really don't think that your being left behind. I think that you are now getting better Tech in Vaporizers to keep doing what you want to do. Never give up. I myself just found the Mod aka or set up that works for me. I started trying to use a vapor way back when the analog look a likes. And just kept going up. I'm sure there is a setup out there that will fit your needs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread