Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
They are 18.
The school makes the rules.
They are toying with zero nic.
They are not addicts.
They do not smoke real cigs.
They are not being demonized, ridiculed, shamed, guilted into mainstream Marxism.
They apparently have made their life choices, & some have decided they'd rather use a little bit of nicotine in a device that allows them to manage their intake as wanted/needed, than to use a prescribed big Pharma pill that does worse harm in the long haul. Ritalin vs the natural balancing of the bodies chemistry via a natural product their bodies lack, without having to eat 100 lbs of veggies per day.
They are educated enough to know the difference between tar, smoke arsenic, toxins and good old vapor.

Hmmm, what's the problem? I don't get it.
It's strange that the school is allowing vaping during class... unless the school is performing a study. They are 18 yr olds, not minors, which almost makes it legal to perform such in real life studies.
Even if they all switched to nicotine, the studies show that it is not as addicting when in unadulterated form and when vaporized, which is why Vapers are able to wean off the nicotine with minor to zero discomfort.

Last edited:

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
Think back, Old Ones. You were young enough to Know It All once. You despise that Kid Who Was as much as he or she despises that Old Fart Who Will Be. Coming to terms with yourself is a never-ending process. Ad astra.

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you ... " -- Time, Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I'm glad that you're willing to make assumptions about what I know based on my age ;)

I spent 3 months as a volunteer worker in chad helping the displaced refugees of the darfur genocide that happened because of the fascist regime.

Fascism doesn't have to rear it's ugly head in the form of a government, it can be any authoritative body, and when a school squashes freedom of expression, not only is that unconstitutional, it's fascist. Creativity and freedom of expression is one of the only truly good qualities young teens and young adults have, besides the drive to change the world and the belief that they can.

Would it be fascist for your state to limit your rights? I think so, and I also believe children and young adults should have the same rights as everybody who's above the age of 18, it's all in the parenting to make sure they end up ok.

So you are comparing the Fascist government of Chad to a high school that doesn't permit pink hair? See the point yet? Yawn.. everyone wants to change the world... just the way they want the heck with everyone else? right?

First of all one would have to establish that allowing pink hair in school is a right and not a privilege. She could have worn a wig and covered it up.

Yup change the world one hair dye at a time. Sorry I don't buy it. Express your freedom all you want... outside of the school..

It really isn't that difficult to understand.

My point stands.... also still want to know the name of the high school that allows vaping in school.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Of course they're going to test the limits, how else are you going to find out where the limits are!?/QUOTE]

eventus stultorum magister est! Titus Livius Patavinus

Haec decuit primae tentare in flore iuventae,
Cum tibi tot palmas detulit alta Croton.
Quae doceat sero, turpi discenda pudore,
Stultorum eventus multa magister habet.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
If they're 18 and it's legal to smoke at 18 in that state, then I think ecigs are better then going for cigarettes. I suffer from GAD. I think it was part of the reason I got addicted to cigarettes. If not that, it would have been some other compulsive habit due to the anxiety. I don't think I'll ever stop vaping. Don't really want to.

Bill220

Aug 19, 2011
PA
My 17 year old nephew used to chew snuff and apparently got addicted to it (I used to use snuff until recently) but vapes now after his dentist told him that his gums looked horrible. My sister doesn't know and I'm not about to tell her. The kid is doing something safer than what he was. I wish my 18 year old son would stop using snuff and take the e cig route.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
[Putting aside the Q of whether vaping 0% s/b allowed in class ... I think Ken_A nailed that one.]

Suppose you're the proprietor of one of those old-fashioned east coast diners in which alcoholic drinks (including cocktails) are served.

Two teenage kids come in, they order burgers and fries. One wants ice water.

The second wants a Shirley Temple. Problem?

After the server brings the order to the table, the one who asked for the ice water decides to request a whisky sour. (Of course the answer is "no.")

Shocked? Offended? Uncomfortable?

Does it matter if they're quietly sitting there with their test prep books, and studying for the SAT ... as opposed to "talk[ing] loudly, us[ing] profanity, hop[ing] like monkeys back and forth, distracting everyone [...]" (from the OP).

Just a few questions for general thought. I'm not taking a position. (Except that I strongly believe that there's not a thing in the world wrong with a minor imbibing the ingredients in a Shirley Temple. And frankly I find maraschino cherries unappealing, to say the least. 8-o But that's just me :D

The problem here is that vaping is inextricably intertwined with tobacco burning - as a matter of image. That's funny ... JuicyFruit chewing gum isn't connected with Nicorette, is it? In fact, minors can even legally purchase nicorette (as far as I know). Ditto the patch. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

(I'm not sure if minors can buy nicorette oral mist. But clearly no one would have a problem with a minor using breath spray.)

Decades from now, when vaping is accepted and understood as a distinct practice, perhaps as something that one might enjoy over dinner or a drink (with or without nicotine), and by people who have never even thought of burning tobacco in any form ... then society's understanding will be different.

But for now, the subconscious link between vaping and smoking is too difficult for us to sever. (Unlike the relationship between a Shirley Temple and a Whiskey Sour, or Juicy Fruit gum and Nicorette, etc.)

My guess is that the local media and/or ANTZ are going to find out about these kids, and use it to alarm everyone in the country. Whoever is selling them vaping supplies has a lot of courage. (And not the portion of valor which is normally attributed to discretion.) They may find themselves on the receiving end of some draconian legislation passed at the state, county, or local level.

Perhaps some local vapers might proactively seek to protect everyone's self-interest by advising the vape shop owner(s) to refuse admittance to anyone under 18. There are plenty of states that have minor sales and possession bans ... and still, the ANTZ are freaking out. And even in areas w/o probitions on sales to minors, most proprietors with any common sense refuse to sell vaping supplies to minors (or even to let them in the door).

In the future, the minors argument is going to be used to justify confiscatory taxes (even though hardly any serious adult vaper uses disposibles except as a stopgap), as well as interstate sales prohibitions - which will become necessary to enforce taxes, and will be initially touted as a way to protect minors (as with the PACT Act). Refillable tanks (etc.) may also be banned - in order to enforce the taxes and also as a means to protect minors.

This whole issue is a gift to the ANTZ who want us to go back to smoking analogs - it's the "thin edge of the wedge."

Last edited:

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
So I'll qualify this statement by saying that at one time, I had hair to the middle of my back. At various times, it was purple, blue, red, black. I was the first of my friends to have piercings and tattoos. I played in rock bands, punk rock bands, hung out in coffee shops, smoked clove cigarettes, and drove a classic mustang. What, you might ask, does this have to do with vaping? Absolutely nothing.

Freedom of expression for teenagers also has nothing to do with vaping. Neither does Facism. You know what the limits are, because somebody tells you what the limits are. That's a part of of life. If anything, teenagers have it way easier with their "freedom of expression" than adults do.

Case in point. Wanna hear a story about what happened to that guy with the long hair and the piercings and all that? That dude tried to work in the music industry, and when that didn't work out, he had to get another job. And in that corporate job, they also had rules and boundaries. Except in order to keep getting a paycheck, they kind of insist that you follow them. That's the way that the real world works, both in high school, and especially beyond.

You think that some high school kid should get his undies in a wad because his rights are being trampled on not being allowed to vape in class? I've seen several threads here where people lost their JOBS because they vaped where they were told not to. They can't support their families. Those were the rules, and they broke them. So while I will try to work up a tear for the youngins, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to roll down my cheek.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Things go missing when they show up, too. Testing batteries. Sampler clearos. Display bottles.

Rocket, I suspect you and I are almost the same age, give or take maybe a year or two. ;)

My favorite B&M has some of the same problems with things going missing, and they know exactly which crowd is doing it.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
We, do, too, but so much happens so quickly, we can't keep track of everyone and everything. They seriously do come in like a whirlwind. It stays that way until they leave. And every one of them is talking to you all at once and asking a million questions. They don't even wait for an answer, they just keep talking and bouncing around.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
So I'll qualify this statement by saying that at one time, I had hair to the middle of my back. At various times, it was purple, blue, red, black. I was the first of my friends to have piercings and tattoos. I played in rock bands, punk rock bands, hung out in coffee shops, smoked clove cigarettes, and drove a classic mustang. What, you might ask, does this have to do with vaping? Absolutely nothing.

Freedom of expression for teenagers also has nothing to do with vaping. Neither does Facism. You know what the limits are, because somebody tells you what the limits are. That's a part of of life. If anything, teenagers have it way easier with their "freedom of expression" than adults do.

Case in point. Wanna hear a story about what happened to that guy with the long hair and the piercings and all that? That dude tried to work in the music industry, and when that didn't work out, he had to get another job. And in that corporate job, they also had rules and boundaries. Except in order to keep getting a paycheck, they kind of insist that you follow them. That's the way that the real world works, both in high school, and especially beyond.

You think that some high school kid should get his undies in a wad because his rights are being trampled on not being allowed to vape in class? I've seen several threads here where people lost their JOBS because they vaped where they were told not to. They can't support their families. Those were the rules, and they broke them. So while I will try to work up a tear for the youngins, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to roll down my cheek.
If you're referring to what I said, I wasn't talking about vaping in class.

Which for the record I really have no opinion about it and have been playing devils advocate. Nothing ever changes if we all just agree with each other all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread