Thinner wire question, (28g or 30g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
Whilst I am happy with my current build, (SS316L, 26g, 3mm id, 9 wraps, 0.5mm spacing, dual coil @ 0.3ohm combined in Big Baby rba with Native Wicks cotton minimal wicks @ 47w = flavour NIRVANA, no leaks, 1 week between wick changes and 8 months now on same coil!). I am looking to try some 28g or 30g coils for a faster ramp up but more importantly for a quicker cool-down as I can still hear hot juice on the coil after I've stopped sucking, even when I've let go the power before I've stopped sucking. I want to keep using between 8 and 10 wraps, maybe going from 3mm to 3.5mm for my id, but I see when using Steam-Engine that my expected ohms will be 1.6 to 1.8 per coil, giving me 0.8 to 0.9 ohms per dual coil set up. Does anyone have experience of just barely sub-ohming like this? If so - what was it like?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Nice one. Many thanks.
28 is, IMHO, the all around most useful gauge of wire to have around for anybody who isn't in the super-low-subohm regime or consistently above 1.5.Ω, where I recommend 32ga. If you find you need too few wraps to get the resistance you like, you can twist a pair of wires together in 28, thereby gaining about 85% of the surface area benefit of Claptons, and use more wraps. Stiffer like that, too, so you can burn it clean with less probability of breaking it in cleaning,

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
28 is, IMHO, the all around most useful gauge of wire to have around for anybody who isn't in the super-low-subohm regime or consistently above 1.5.Ω, where I recommend 32ga. If you find you need too few wraps to get the resistance you like, you can twist a pair of wires together in 28, thereby gaining about 85% of the surface area benefit of Claptons, and use more wraps. Stiffer like that, too, so you can burn it clean with less probability of breaking it in cleaning,

That's great information tbh. I have not been actively looking for low ohms, the numbers have been the result of my choice of materials and trying for as many coils as possible to create as much surface area as possible. Now I am where I am and looking to refine my experience with a shorter ramp-up / cool-down time I was looking at a thinner wire. I do want to keep to a simple round wire build if I can as I've got 2 active kids meaning I only have a smallish amount of time to indulge in my hobby! Therefore interested to know others experience of vaping at near 1ohms. Power not an issue as I've got up to 220 to play with, although current build has only required 40-50w to be v tasty!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
That's great information tbh. I have not been actively looking for low ohms, the numbers have been the result of my choice of materials and trying for as many coils as possible to create as much surface area as possible. Now I am where I am and looking to refine my experience with a shorter ramp-up / cool-down time I was looking at a thinner wire. I do want to keep to a simple round wire build if I can as I've got 2 active kids meaning I only have a smallish amount of time to indulge in my hobby! Therefore interested to know others experience of vaping at near 1ohms. Power not an issue as I've got up to 220 to play with, although current build has only required 40-50w to be v tasty!
Get a short spool or 28 and 30. Experiment a bit. And do try some twists. Easy to do and I think you may like them. You may also wish to try single coil builds if you want short ramp/cool times. Multi coils heat a lot of wire. I have good luck with them, myself. I usually do duals in my 18650 mechs and my regulated ones, but my 18350 mechs-- love me some 350 mech-- just don't have the battery to fire them for more than about 5 minutes. So I do singles there, and you can get a good vape out of them. And another tip: learn how to use the heat flux box in Steam Engine. Find a heat flux that makes a vape you like, then match the flux on a single coil build. You may be surprised at the results...

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
Sometimes I get that sizzle after letting off the fire button, when there is not enough cotton wick inside the coil, try a tad more wick maybe. Also have noticed it when my coil/wick, need cleaning/ replacing...

That would make sense, it does seem to either happen more or to be more noticeable after I have using that wick for some days, even when I have taken a few rapid hits which is why I thought of looking for a build with a quicker cool-down time. I have been wiling quite sparsely thinking that I was doing the right thing by allowing for cotton expansion when saturated as tighter wicking previously seemed to be causing the wick to choke and taking a little longer to re-saturate. Maybe I am having trouble in judging exactly the right amount, maybe the tolerances are so narrow in a double coils RBA on a tank system. Reluctant to switch to RDA as the tanks are so convenient for me. Leave the house with one on, another in my pocket and I'm good for most of the day!

Reactions: stols001

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
Get a short spool or 28 and 30. Experiment a bit. And do try some twists. Easy to do and I think you may like them. You may also wish to try single coil builds if you want short ramp/cool times. Multi coils heat a lot of wire. I have good luck with them, myself. I usually do duals in my 18650 mechs and my regulated ones, but my 18350 mechs-- love me some 350 mech-- just don't have the battery to fire them for more than about 5 minutes. So I do singles there, and you can get a good vape out of them. And another tip: learn how to use the heat flux box in Steam Engine. Find a heat flux that makes a vape you like, then match the flux on a single coil build. You may be surprised at the results...

I've already got some 28 and some 30, I think I'm going to look for an RDA I like so that I can experiment a bit easier thank with my tanks. I can always use successful builds in the tanks once I've had some fun trialling other build options. I do love my tanks for their convenience out and about and at work. RDA might be fun for at home though, especially for experimentation. I like steam-engine, I have run MANY options and ideas therein, hence purchase of 28 & 30, thought I'd ask for thoughts and ideas before I actually embarked on the next build adventures! LOL

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I started rebuilding back in the olden days with PT2 heads and Kayfuns. Always used single coil 30ga 1-1.8 ohm coils. When I try 26-28ga, I'm never happy because of the ramp up time, the higher watts I need and the loss of battery time.
Then go back to 30ga wire.

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
So ... tried the 30g with 3.5mm id 9wraps hitting 0.9ohms, whilst it ramped swiftly and cooled down nicely it was just too thin and fragile. A REAL fiddle to space the coils with both a screw and a jig then pulling out to space and then too wibbly wobbly when mounting and when wicking. Took me AGES to get it right and the resulting flavour was just meh! A real anticlimax! Dropped down to the 28g with the same setup achieving 0.6ohms and this gave me a lovely stable coil that could be mounted and wicked simply. To be honest I think I’ve found my “sweet spot” coiling! More flavour than the 26 or the 30 and is SWEEEEEEET in both TC & VW. Ramps quickly, cools quickly, gets to temp nicely allowing nice long 3sec plus pulls if I want in both modes, (45w 200°C or 46.8w), on Alien 220 with Big Baby Beast and twin coil RBA. I’ve found my happy place!!!!!!!!!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
So ... tried the 30g with 3.5mm id 9wraps hitting 0.9ohms, whilst it ramped swiftly and cooled down nicely it was just too thin and fragile. A REAL fiddle to space the coils with both a screw and a jig then pulling out to space and then too wibbly wobbly when mounting and when wicking. Took me AGES to get it right and the resulting flavour was just meh! A real anticlimax! Dropped down to the 28g with the same setup achieving 0.6ohms and this gave me a lovely stable coil that could be mounted and wicked simply. To be honest I think I’ve found my “sweet spot” coiling! More flavour than the 26 or the 30 and is SWEEEEEEET in both TC & VW. Ramps quickly, cools quickly, gets to temp nicely allowing nice long 3sec plus pulls if I want in both modes, (45w 200°C or 46.8w), on Alien 220 with Big Baby Beast and twin coil RBA. I’ve found my happy place!!!!!!!!!
:thumbs:

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
I quite like temp mode, but as I like to change flavour during the day I tend to step out with 2 tanks and the initial resistance setup means it’s just not possible to simply chuck a new tank on and continue vaping. Tend to leave the house on temp and resort to wattage when I’ve changed tank. How do you manage it through the day? Do you just top up one tank as you go on?

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've got three of the Big Baby Beast tanks since I liked it so much. I've got two tanks I've made the same resistance so they are interchangeable and will work with two vaporizers I now use.
I used the 30 gauge when making nickel coils, in those days the units wouldn't take SS. Newer mods will but I have the Pico 25 that needs a .24 ohm coil and I stopped using it. The other vaporizers I have will take any resistance.
I have a Daedalus that I use to make Clapton coils with, much quicker and easier.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I started rebuilding back in the olden days with PT2 heads and Kayfuns. Always used single coil 30ga 1-1.8 ohm coils. When I try 26-28ga, I'm never happy because of the ramp up time, the higher watts I need and the loss of battery time.
That's what I used rebuilding those tiny little PT2's. Still have a half-spool of 30 somewhere around here.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I like 29 g Kanthal. My sweet spot. Not too thin, not too thick. :)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread