Ti twisted core clapton, TC problems on Koopor Plus:

Status
Not open for further replies.
rda is Zephyr Buddha, dual coils are of 0.4mm Ti, 2 twisted strands core, clapton wrapped with more of the same 0.4 Ti - 7 turns @ 2.2mm I/D = 0.12-0.13 Ohms.

Problem is it just won't reach the set point and no matter how high I set it, won't push more than ~80W. Flip to Watt mode and it runs beautifully at my preferred 140W.

Unit runs TC fine on my TVF4 triple coil RTA with 3 x 10 turn single strand Ti coils of the same 0.4mm/26 ga wire @~0.1 Ohm total.

I'm a bit foxed - anyone help?

Wire is the stuff from vape-mesh co. Warrington, England (Warrington Wire Company).

Cheers!

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I can't help you with your problem but i just want to say be very careful with the Ti wire, you may or may not know this but if you overheat Ti it can become harmful to you, which as far as i know is when it starts to go an off white or ash kind of colour but tbh i think any colour change is probably bad as far as Ti is concerned.
With clapton wire the outer wrap only warms up from the heat given off by the core wire, the core wire is the only wire that has power passing through it.
Running a clapton wire over the top prevents you from seeing any colour change unless you have gaps in the clapton.

Personally! the only place i would use Ti if i was to use it which i probably wouldnt anymore is either as a naked wire without a clapton over the top or maybe as a clapton over the top of another wire like maybe Kanthal, Nichrome or SS as the core.

I can't help you with your problem but i just want to say be very careful with the Ti wire, you may or may not know this but if you overheat Ti it can become harmful to you, which as far as i know is when it starts to go an off white or ash kind of colour but tbh i think any colour change is probably bad as far as Ti is concerned.
With clapton wire the outer wrap only warms up from the heat given off by the core wire, the core wire is the only wire that has power passing through it.
Running a clapton wire over the top prevents you from seeing any colour change unless you have gaps in the clapton.

Personally! the only place i would use Ti if i was to use it which i probably wouldnt anymore is either as a naked wire without a clapton over the top or maybe as a clapton over the top of another wire like maybe Kanthal, Nichrome or SS as the core.

I'm fairly familiar with Ti and aware of the literature and tests - TiO2 is the supposed issue, and it seems is really quite innocuous, except it's an irritant to the upper respiratory system as a fine dust, pretty much as any other inert fine dust is - it's copiously abundant in the natural environment and doesn't pose any other real threat especially in very tiny amounts such as those potentially generated on a small over fired heating coil.

Now OTOH nickel I do have a problem with, so I avoid using any alloys with nickel in the mix.

Thanks for the cautionary pointer though - vigilance is always well received ',;~}~

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL
Still can't figure out this problem - do I need to adjust any values for using clapton-esque coils? I have my TCR set to 366 for the grade 1 Ti wire I have (and I tried the grade 2 TCR of 35- ishtoo just to see), and my triple coil TFV4 rebuildable deck works just fine with 3 single strand, 9/10 turn coils of the same 0.4 wire - goes all the way up to temp. and then protects if left on too long. With the dual twin twisted 'clapton' (the clapton wraps aren't quite touching on mine though) of similar total resistance, the box just won't chuck out the watts to get it up to temp though, and stalls out at about 70-80W. I know it needs more than that (almost double) to get the fat Buddha up to temp, and the display shows it's not nearly getting there either.

Google searches have turned up no similar problems or suitable answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread