Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Thanks @kad2371. Actually looks easier to rebuild than the kayfun. I find the balancing act of holding the coil in place, wrapping the wire around the post and tightening the screw very hard to do on the kayfun. Literally took me an hour to connect the coil after taking about two minutes to wrap it. Re-wicking also looks very easy on the CLR.

Got an ego adapter and a small block of wood?

I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in a small block of wood, press fit the 510 end of said adapter into it. Great building base to hold your topper for attaching the coil. So I don't have to hold the coil, base and screwdriver. Yeah, I only have two hands! :lol:

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Got an ego adapter and a small block of wood?

I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in a small block of wood, press fit the 510 end of said adapter into it. Great building base to hold your topper for attaching the coil. So I don't have to hold the coil, base and screwdriver. Yeah, I only have two hands! :lol:
I screwed the coil into an ohm meter, but I still had to hold the screwdriver/coil in place while wrapping around the screws. I'm obviously missing something. Maybe I just held it in place but didn't need to? The vids I watched said do that so it would stay centered over the air flow hole while attaching.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Anyone rebuilding with the Ego One CLR head by Joyetech? I want to get a rebuildable coil for use in the eGo One Mega tank that came with by VTC Mini. I'm assuming the .5 ohm coil can be rebuilt to any resistance I want, right? I prefer the 1.5 range. Just want to be sure there's nothing special about the sub-ohm coil that would prevent me from building for tootling. (Sweet Vapes appears to be sold out of the 1.0 ohm coils that are usually an option)
Be aware though that the 0.5Ω CLRs have a bigger air inlet than the 1.0Ω coils and may not suit ... better to use the 1.0Ω if you can.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
OK. I was trying to get them from Sweet-Vapes because I was also considering the Pico Kit for $37.95, which is the best price I've come across. Would get free shipping on both by adding the coils, but they are now only offering the .5. I'm coming across quite a bit of "out of stock" stuff today. I think there was a lot of panic buying yesterday. Anyway, I can get the 1.0 coils elsewhere. By the way, do these also work on the Cubis tank?

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I screwed the coil into an ohm meter, but I still had to hold the screwdriver/coil in place while wrapping around the screws. I'm obviously missing something. Maybe I just held it in place but didn't need to? The vids I watched said do that so it would stay centered over the air flow hole while attaching.
I hold it parallel to the blocks with the first wrap, then move it over to center position when doing the second wrap.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I hold it parallel to the blocks with the first wrap, then move it over to center position when doing the second wrap.
It's possible that's what I did (accidentally) when I finally got it to work. :) My fingers are not steady when performing such tedious duties in tiny little spaces. I had a dickens of a time but wound up with a 1.42 wrap while shooting for 1.5. On a positive not, the flavor from the very first hit on the Kayfun was extraordinary. I'm definitely going to get a couple more (Vaporrange has them for $9.95 but no black or stainless in stock) and I'll just get better at the wrapping. I'm hoping that and CLR coils will give me some security about the future.

ETA: There are folks here rebuilding the regular eLeaf coils, too, so that could be a boon to my future supply.

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
I use an Ohmmeter as a stand as-well. It takes practice to get the Hand Cordination down when installing the Coils. Trying to keep one steady while the other is trying to do something else can get irritating because natural reaction is to move both hands when something goes wrong! Just keep at it and you will get better and better each time! :thumb:

I have shakey hands from Juvinile Arthritis and used to love the Idea of Chimney Style Coils in my Kayfuns, but they didn't perform to good... :grr:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

I lay the mandrel with coil in position and tuck the leg under the first screw. Then, holding the mandrel with one hand, tighten with the other. Yeah, maybe some minor juggling ;)

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I lay the mandrel with coil in position and tuck the leg under the first screw. Then, holding the mandrel with one hand, tighten with the other. Yeah, maybe some minor juggling ;)

^^^ This is pretty much what I do,it took a bunch of practice and a fair bit of wire to get it to work every time.......erm....most every time lol.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I use an Ohmmeter as a stand as-well. It takes practice to get the Hand Cordination down when installing the Coils. Trying to keep one steady while the other is trying to do something else can get irritating because natural reaction is to move both hands when something goes wrong! Just keep at it and you will get better and better each time! :thumb:

I have shakey hands from Juvinile Arthritis and used to love the Idea of Chimney Style Coils in my Kayfuns, but they didn't perform to good... :grr:

Yeah, It's very frustrating when your fingers aren't steady. I thought I had it whipped numerous times only to see the wire wasn't really captured. Or, the first one was captured then came loose while I was doing the second. I'll get better at it. The good news is, the coil is still working fine after 12 days. It now reads 1.54 ohms instead of 1.42. I tinkered with it a bit to make sure it wasn't making contact with the base, so I figure that changed it some.
Thanks. I'll get it figured out since it appears I won't have a choice down the road. Can't say it's my favorite part of the whole vaping experience, though.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Thanks. I'll get it figured out since it appears I won't have a choice down the road. Can't say it's my favorite part of the whole vaping experience, though.

I'm sure you will, it just may take a little practice.

And, once built, the coil should be good for a long time. Just need to dry burn and rewick now and then.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I'm sure you will, it just may take a little practice.

And, once built, the coil should be good for a long time. Just need to dry burn and rewick now and then.
Ha. Yeah, I thought I was a wicking wizard. The first wick I put in was perfection. Decided to change it when I changed flavors, and it tasted like I was vaping something out of the barn yard. @Kenna had warned me not to over-wick it, but I think that's what I did. Changed to a looser wick, and it was dynamite again.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Ok! I'm so falling behind on all my threads. These dogs are getting spoiled & demanding too much attention. They come & stand in line for snuggles!
Will be my turn the next 3 days. I run the bar at work Friday and Saturday nights and catch up on sleep on Sunday.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
:D

IYLusE0.jpg
Whoop!! You got it! That is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread